DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?

Go down 
+30
gking92
Ghost
JimJ
simo
gaslightfan89
EveryRikiHandwritten
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
sandinista
AGoodTime
EveryLittleSecret
Jack
cockypessimist
Bea
StitchesOnTheRadio
bakerfall
snakester
brianisbae
Kosburn59
A_Regular
Harbortown
eagles1139
The Angry Johnny Revue
ral
NYYFAN523
steph
CapedAvenger
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
EveryWordHandwritten
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
EveryRikiHandwritten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 am

It's good, but best ever certainly not, and in my opinion it isn't even top 10. I also agree with those who have suggested that it's probably their weakest opener yet.
Back to top Go down
gaslightfan89
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 am

Its a great song but not even the best song on the album and that's how good I think this album is.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:08 am

To me "45" is a track that is solid on record, but ultimately the whole purpose of its existence is to be played live.
Back to top Go down
JimJ
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 am

simo wrote:
To me "45" is a track that is solid on record, but ultimately the whole purpose of its existence is to be played live.

After the Chapel Hill show, I totally agree. First time seeing it live and it's just a beast. It was a major highlight of the show for me.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
A Contender
A Contender
Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 am

In terms of songwriting quality, absolutely not. Not even close.

However, it's the best 'single' they've ever written, just topping '59 Sound. So catchy, so fun, and will be a live classic in no time.
Back to top Go down
gking92
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gking92

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:37 am

I really like it, its grown on me particularly over the last month. But their best song ever? Hmmm, it would probably still, at this time at least, struggle to make my top 10. It's not in the same class as Bring It On, Film Noir and The '59 Sound.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/The_King1992
sportshack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

can't believe some of the answers in here. someone said it was a terrible album opener.... what?!

45 and Handwritten is an astonishingly good 1-2 punch to start the album. I LOVE 45, but it's not their best song IMO. One of my favourites, for sure.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 am

simo wrote:

The music to '45 is great, too bad Brian can almost never sing that chorus.
Back to top Go down
sportshack
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 am

another thing on 45, it's the free-est song on handwritten. no influences, just the band stepping up and playing in their purest style. throwback to SoS
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 1:22 pm

bakerfall wrote:
simo wrote:

Well it's better now that they dropped the key a half-step. But really it's one of those things you don't notice when you're there in the moment, cause you and everyone else are all singing it too. I couldn't even tell you if Brian sang it well the two times I saw them play it on this tour. But I know it was fun.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:21 pm

simo wrote:
bakerfall wrote:
simo wrote:

Well it's better now that they dropped the key a half-step. But really it's one of those things you don't notice when you're there in the moment, cause you and everyone else are all singing it too. I couldn't even tell you if Brian sang it well the two times I saw them play it on this tour. But I know it was fun.

I agree that you don't notice it live, but it's always going to be iffy because it's still pushing the range. I didn't notice it when seeing them either, then you watch Letterman. Eek.

Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah it's just gonna be one of those things you notice when you watch videos.
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:08 pm

I think it's way way too early to decare best ever....let's see if it stands the test of time...I really, really like it...but who knows how we'll feel in 2013...
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Probably not the best gaslight song ever but maybe best single released ever, i rate it that much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 pm

It's definitely not one of my favorites, and for openers I'd say Great Expectations & Boomboxes (I just can't choose) > American Slang > 45. But I do love 45, I'd rank it with the songs that are just below my favorites.

Taken on its own, without reference to anything else they've done, I think it's a great song. And then when I think about all the bands I've loved for years, who then sign with a major label and release a single orchestrated to appeal to a wider audience by sounding nothing like themselves, I appreciated it that much more. With most bands, that ends up being my least favorite song. But 45 will get a lot more people interested in the band, while actually being a classic TGA song, true to their style.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2