DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)

Go down 
+14
Steve70s
Bea
NeverTrustAJunkie
nico0493
Jerseyrain
IAmDisappeared
loazis
NYYFAN523
Harbortown
HorribleCrowe
IrishNameAndAnInjury
AlrightToDrive
JimmyB
Christophe
18 posters
AuthorMessage
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Empty
PostSubject: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Didn't think anything like this had been posted and thought it would be interesting to see what people said.
The song that I most relate to is High Lonesome. Everything about the song is relevant to me and I feel like the song was written about me. From the feeling of wishing you were someone else to the southern accents on the radio this has always been the Gaslight song that has most relevance to my life I guess. Interested to hear what everyone else says.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Here's looking at ya kid-That is my most relate-able song. With all the girls that have broken my heart, I just would love to say "I'm famous now for all these rock and Roll songs" and really "even if that's a lie, She shoulda given me a try". Honestly almost every lyric fits me perfectly.

Last edited by JimmyB on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AlrightToDrive
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't really want to go super in depth into why this song hits me so close to home, but Old White Lincoln is basically my life's anthem

And I'da Called you Woody, Joe is the song that got me out of certain bad habits, and turned my life around.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Great idea, Christophe! Very Happy

Probably no surprise since my username comes from it, but "Red At Night" most closely describes me. I have an Irish name, my craziness sometimes feels like a life-long injury, and so many things in my life are both blessings and curses at the same time. I also tend to be very extreme, thinking that no one has the blues like me, and then on the other end of the spectrum, being so grateful because so few people have blessings like mine. But all in all, I'm doing alright. The first time I heard "Red At Night", it was like the whole world stopped and everything made sense for a change. This is definitely my song.

The runner up is "Bring It On", which is my favorite Gaslight song. The lines So give me the fevers that just won't break, and give me the children you don't want to raise really hit me hard. I am always the one who takes care of everyone else and gets burdened with their problems, and I have been in an ongoing situation where someone close to me has children that she doesn't want, and I would take them in a heartbeat if she would just let me. It's a very screwed up situation, and "Bring It On" (and the whole AS album) got me through a very tough time a while back, so I can really relate to this song as well.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks IrishNameAndAnInjury Smile

I think the reason why Gaslight are so good is because their stories and lyrics are so relatable. Sometimes I think Brian Fallon is just like me. Most of the songs relate to an event of some kind at some point in my life. There is a real feeling of connection to Brian and the lyrics Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Christophe wrote:
Thanks IrishNameAndAnInjury Smile

I think the reason why Gaslight are so good is because their stories and lyrics are so relatable. Sometimes I think Brian Fallon is just like me. Most of the songs relate to an event of some kind at some point in my life. There is a real feeling of connection to Brian and the lyrics Smile

I agree completely! Brian is such a brilliant songwriter. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:39 pm

High Lonesome, because i've always wanted to be someone else (=
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 pm

American slang.

All TGA songs have a lot of things I can relate to, but this one just hits close to home. It was released at a time in my life when everything was kinda turned upside down and that song was one of few things that helped me get through that period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Great Expectations. That song completely murdered me when I first started listening to Gaslight, and it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

Runner up: Orphans.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Boomboxes and Dictionaries

Runner up: Wooderson
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 pm

American Slang.

I was actually planning to write an essay on how I feel that song describes life and America with both striking grandeur and an intimacy that hit so close to home personally when it came out. That song helped me out in a way that I feel many of us have experienced with Gaslight, which ultimately is what brought and connects many of us on this forum.

Back to top Go down
IAmDisappeared
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
IAmDisappeared

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Great Expectations

Everybody leaves, so why, why wouldn't you?
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Blue Jeans and White T shirts just sums me up I reckon
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 pm

I think Boxer is one of the most important songs in my life and definately the GA tune that I can relate to the most. "You found the bandages inside the pen and the stitches on the radio" pretty much sums up what music is for me and what i hope can do for other people
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 9:24 pm

We Came To Dance-Because concerts are my love and I think of this song as kinda like my concert anthem if you will.

Boomboxes & Dictionaries- Anxiety can mess me up sometimes so I've sorta tried to pattern my thoughts after this song. Especially the "If you're scared of the future..." line.

(sorry I cheated and picked two)
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Drive.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:24 am

I hope the guys know how much their music means to their fans. It must be so incredible to have a gift that inspires so many people and to be able to write music that people relate to so strongly.
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm

It's Angry Johnny and the Radio - that sums up TGA for me!
Back to top Go down
mirrorenigma
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mirrorenigma

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 am

Great expectations

even though my interpretation of the song is completely different to what he's singing. I guess I'm more into the whole philosophy of the song, on how everything is temporary.... sort of my most important life lesson.

Everybody leaves so why, why wouldn't you?

----

And The Navesink Banks.

Back to top Go down
mirrorenigma
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mirrorenigma

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 am

stepsandnumbers wrote:
Great Expectations. That song completely murdered me when I first started listening to Gaslight, and it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

Runner up: Orphans.

Oh yes. that song murdered me too. Lol.

Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 am

mirrorenigma wrote:
Great expectations

even though my interpretation of the song is completely different to what he's singing.

i think that's the important thing, though! the great thing about music. it's about what it means to you, not necessarily what the person who wrote the song was thinking about.
Back to top Go down
nico0493
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
nico0493

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:37 am

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
I hope the guys know how much their music means to their fans. It must be so incredible to have a gift that inspires so many people and to be able to write music that people relate to so strongly.

I was about to say exactly the same ! Its amazing how Gaslight fans relate to their songs
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis?

The overall theme of feeling like you don't fit in, is what I take away from that song and relate to the most.
Back to top Go down
poormrpitiful
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
poormrpitiful

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Most of the songs on sink or swim do it for me, but narrowing it down to one song would have to be, we're getting a divorce, you keep the diner. The line at the end "its alright man, im only bleeding man, stay hungry stay free and do the best you can" just cuts me to the core, its like the first time i heard the clash - stay free, like everything may be crap at the moment but it will get better Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)    One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Gaslight Song That Sums Up Your Life (You most relate to)
Page 1 of 1