DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?

Go down 
+69
Matilda Noir
A_Regular
Yozzy
gking92
punkrox889
sonsofregret
megan125
JJW319
drifter69
enola
Chappers
Keeb631
mrlisc2
OldManShoes3
CASANOVA, BILLY!
eagles1139
CapedAvenger
StopAndSlideToTheRight
redheadchick
Whiskey1
gaslightfan89
stephendgaf
RaquelWaltz
bringiton_ty
honestwithme
steph
telemark
sadly_ecstatic
YouCanCallMeSally
saltandburn1967
moosicmaniac
TGAforLIFE
rgillies
Noa
riversedge
ThisMachineKillsFascists
YNWA182
LaGuitarLady
TheContender
Danieljsmith
The Angry Johnny Revue
White Man In Hammersmith
Reinvent good times
Steve70s
SirPaco
NeverTrustAJunkie
acousticbandit
njguy99
Ghost
'49mercury
Jerseyrain
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Jack
StitchesOnTheRadio
azlisa
bakerfall
simo
Casey
Shrewsbury_Stars
Harbortown
marcsnitz
nebraska
CluckyB
JimmyB
colmillionaire
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Camus
Daire
Christophe
73 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Empty
PostSubject: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm really interested in seeing what people think is their least favorite Gaslight/Brian/Horrible Crowes song. Not necessarily their worst song, since I think each one is special, but your guys' least favorite. I think it's interesting to look at the at the other end of the spectrum is. Everyone's always talking about the songs they love, but are there any that you don't necessarily like too much (or, sacrilegiously, even dislike)? I know this might be even a bit more difficult than picking your favorite, since almost every Gaslight song is really awesome in its own right, and each of them have their fans.

I'd just like to say that this isn't trying to start arguments or anything over songs, I'm just saying that there are some songs that really speak to us and others that we can't always connect to. It's natural. While I've seen so far that the community is very loving and agreeable, please refrain from attacking others for their least favorite songs.

Covers do, in fact, count. So don't be afraid of posting those.

Personally, I can't even provide my own original Gaslight example, but I must say I've never been terribly impressed by their cover of Johnny Cash's "God's Gonna Cut You Down". The guitar is pretty great, but the sort of reverb effect on Brian's voice just doesn't fit with the song.

You guys?
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Personally there is one song I don't particularly like and that's Red In The Morning. I think it is just very different and doesn't really fit their style in my opinion. Another one I find interesting as a lot of Gaslight fans on here say it is their favourite but Cowgirls is one of my lesser favourite songs. I guess again as it is a bit of an oddball song I just can't get into it like some others. It is still a cool song though just not one of my favourites.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm

For me it's Angry Johnny and Cowgirls.

I just find them to be boring, and the intro to Cowgirls is irritating.
So is the one to Great Expectations too now that I think of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

even cowgirls get the blues.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm

That's pretty strange, a lot of people seem to really love Cowgirls. Myself, I felt it was a little bit boring.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:12 pm

MattL wrote:
That's pretty strange, a lot of people seem to really love Cowgirls. Myself, I felt it was a little bit boring.

I love Cowgirls, and Angry Johnny is one of my favourites too! I think I would struggle to pick a least favourite, so for now I won't Razz
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:14 pm

I love Cowgirls, it's one of my favorites, but Red in the Morning is definitely my least favorite. I don't hate it by any means, but I don't think it's as strong as any of their other songs and just doesn't inspire me like the rest of the music.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Red in the Morning- for the reasons stated above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm

colmillionaire wrote:
I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing!

I'll admit, this is exactly how I felt while listening to the album a few times. Although, after a few playthroughs, I really grew to love the album, and some of the songs have become my favorite Brian songs. Last Rites was too short.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:31 pm

colmillionaire wrote:
Red at Night, no question. Also it's the only song I've never seen them play. For good reason too, def the weakest of the bunch.

I don't like Horrible Crowes that much at all. I can't even remember a track where I said, "whoa! that's amazing"! Which is great because I consider it the "slump" that every artist goes through. Especially since Gaslight has released 3 incredible full lengths.

Still not sure how you can like the National but not love something like Sugar, but oh well...

My vote goes to Cowgirls, Angry Johnny, American Slang or Old Haunts. None of them are bad songs... just none of them really do a lot for me (they are the only four "average" songs in the gaslight disography (looking at only album tracks, not counting covers or b-sides). They can't be enjoyed just as a loud fast punk song like RITM, they can't be enjoyed as a nice soft song... they are just jutting out there in the middle. Angry Johnny is probably the worst of the bunch... but I still feel bad calling it "worst" as that has implications its a bad song...
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:59 pm

red at night for sure, sounds exactly like a song from billy bragg I hate that.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:25 pm

I personally can't stand Stay Lucky. It's certainly a fine song, but when we're comparing to the rest of the band's stellar catalog and considering the high standards I hold for the band, it just falls short in a few ways. I don't want to rag on it too much, but I can certainly list a number of reasons why
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/snitzonsnacks
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:29 pm

marcsnitz wrote:
I personally can't stand Stay Lucky. It's certainly a fine song, but when we're comparing to the rest of the band's stellar catalog and considering the high standards I hold for the band, it just falls short in a few ways. I don't want to rag on it too much, but I can certainly list a number of reasons why
As I absolutely love this song I'd love to hear why!

I'm not going to argue with you, I swear. You just got me curious.
Back to top Go down
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 7:45 pm

Harbortown wrote:
marcsnitz wrote:
As I absolutely love this song I'd love to hear why!

I'm not going to argue with you, I swear. You just got me curious.

(PREFACE: this is my favorite band in the world and I'm only being so hard on this song because I like them so much)

It feels lazy. Lyrically, it sounds like a song about having writer's block, a topic that's always annoyed me regardless of the writer or the medium. It's not exactly midtempo but it's slower than Orphans or The Spirit of Jazz, another irritating point. There are some pretty not so great lyrics ("You feel like you just might explode inside" comes to mind first), and the bridge treads way too much on U2 territory ("What you don't have you don't need it anymore" vs "What you don't have you don't need it right now"). Aside from the chorus, the lead guitar isn't up to par to most other songs of theirs. Speaking of the chorus, the lyrics in the chorus just kind of fall flat for me.

This is all super subjective obviously, but the song just does very little for me. I find the outro ("If you're anywhere in Manhattan...") to be a big redeeming factor though.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:08 pm

Huh. I've never thought of it that way. I think those lyrics ("It took so long to get me back on my feet/It takes so long to find the words and the beat") might just be a metaphor for something else, though. Perhaps a breakup? "Them feelings died for reasons you know".

I don't think he's reached the point yet where he's writing about not being able to write, hah.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Stay Lucky gets my vote too. I find the tempo to be its biggest weakness . . . too easy-listening for me.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:58 pm

I disliked Cherry Blossoms for awhile...just because it was not much of a rock song. But After a little while, the lyrics hit me like a wall of bricks. I guess the only Horrible Crowes song I am not crazy about is "Last rites" or "I believe Jesus Brought us together" Last rites because it is so short. Brought us together, because the music is the backround is boring (Nothing really changes). I do like the outro though-using backround sound effects to end it.
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Probably Red in the Morning or Mary Anne. Mary Anne has a wicked solo and aggressive vocals, but the chorus is too repetitive for me. Love every song on THC album, but Mary Anne I find myself skipping the most.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:27 pm

If we're just talking Gaslight, maybe Boxer or Biloxi Parish although I'll reserve judgement until I hear the final version of that I guess.

There are a few Horrible Crowes songs I don't really like at all. Cherry Blossoms and Jesus in particular but Elsie kind of grew off me as a whole. It's been a long time since I've listened to it though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd have to say Red in the Morning. It just doesn't seem to gel with everything on Sink or Swim to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm really not that into Our Father's Sons. I don't know why, but there's just something about the way it flows that doesn't sound right to me.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Probably Boxer because I don't like the intro, and because it's so musically close to "Id'a called you woody" that I'm pretty sure it's why they stopped playing it for a while.

that or I'm gonna cut you down, because I agree that didn't work very well.

Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

totally agree with those who said red in the morning. least favorite. it's not horrible by any means, though.

i have to do THC separately and i'd have to say i witnessed a crime. i just don't care for the music or the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
marcsnitz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
marcsnitz

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Huh. I've never thought of it that way. I think those lyrics ("It took so long to get me back on my feet/It takes so long to find the words and the beat") might just be a metaphor for something else, though. Perhaps a breakup? "Them feelings died for reasons you know".

I don't think he's reached the point yet where he's writing about not being able to write, hah.

Normally I can get that it could be interpreted as many things, but as these songs were written after B-Fal came off of a big writer's block period the song leads me to believe that's what it's referring to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?   LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LEAST Favorite Gaslight Anthem Song?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next