DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?

Go down 
+30
gking92
Ghost
JimJ
simo
gaslightfan89
EveryRikiHandwritten
OldManShoes3
Little Eden
sandinista
AGoodTime
EveryLittleSecret
Jack
cockypessimist
Bea
StitchesOnTheRadio
bakerfall
snakester
brianisbae
Kosburn59
A_Regular
Harbortown
eagles1139
The Angry Johnny Revue
ral
NYYFAN523
steph
CapedAvenger
jonnyz83
pleasepassthesoup
EveryWordHandwritten
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EveryWordHandwritten
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Empty
PostSubject: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm starting to think it is. At the music video shoot for 45 Brian said "I have a thing for numbers" and it's true. Some of Gaslight's best songs are 1930, '59 Sound, and now 45.

I'm not quite ready to anoint 45 as best ever, but it's close. Easily the best opener to an album we've had (And this coming from a guy who's favorite song by them before this album was "Great Expectations"), fast, fun, heartfelt, that bridge and final choir is enormous. So catchy, so raw, great sound from the band, and great lyrics too. Songs like Great Expectations, Old White Lincoln, Blue Jeans and White Tee Shirts etc had been some of my favorite tunes by TGA but 45 is trying to win the fight!

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I think there are a handful of songs on Handwritten alone that are better, personally. It's a great song, though and, despite being so new, possibly has the most important meaning to my own life of any of their work.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:41 pm

No.

That's all I got to say.

I don't know what is Gaslight's BEST SONG EVER. But "45" wouldn't be in the discussion - IMO.

Not that it's not a good song. It very much is. Just not among their BEST work.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Best Gaslight song ever? No - Here Comes My Man is better, to name just one example off Handwritten.

Best album opener? Again, no. As much as i like it, it might be the weakest. Give me a few months to think on it, but right now i prefer American Slang, Great Expectations and Boomboxes...
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:47 pm

no.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 2:50 pm

steph wrote:

no.

And imo Boomboxes, Senor and The Queen, Great Expectations, and American Slang are all better album openers.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:16 pm

no, just no.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 pm

First Gaslight song I ever disliked. Can't undo that.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 pm

I think Mulholland Drive, Biloxi Parish and Mae are all "better" songs in every way, just to name some off Handwritten. I probably like Howl and Keepsake more too.

It is my second favorite opener after Great Expectations though.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

Nope.

I think it's one of the more mediocre songs on the album. Plus, it's a terrible album opener.
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:31 pm

jonnyz83 wrote:
No.

That's all I got to say.

I don't know what is Gaslight's BEST SONG EVER. But "45" wouldn't be in the discussion - IMO.

Not that it's not a good song. It very much is. Just not among their BEST work.
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Nowhere near my favorite song. It's good, but it's not mind-blowing. '59 Sound blew me away way more than any other single they've released, and even THAT isn't amongst my favorite Gaslight songs.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 3:53 pm

It's definitely a great song. I'd maybe put it in my top 10 Gaslight songs, but from Handwritten I think Handwritten and Mae are so much better. They're my two current favorites right now. But yeah..I love 45 but definitely wouldn't say it's their best.
Back to top Go down
snakester
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Definitely not. It's a very very good song, but when I've got songs like Mae and Blue Dahlia fighting for my top spot right now, it can't even compete.
Back to top Go down
bakerfall
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

No. Definitely not.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm surprised, not so much at all the No's but at how strong the No's are.

My opinion-It's ONE OF THE BEST but like they have so many amazing songs I wouldn't even begin to know how to rank them.

It's not my favorite on Handwritten, the title track is, but it's tied for second with Mulholland Drive and Mae.

I LOVE 45 I just don't know how to rank it because to me their songs are like in groups. Best, Close seconds, and just good. And the Best catagory holds at least 20 of their songs for me. And that is why their so great because they're so consistently amazing.

Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
I LOVE 45 I just don't know how to rank it because to me their songs are like in groups. Best, Close seconds, and just good.
i do the same thing, but i've added a new group - 'just plain awful'. fortunately, there's only one in there - Teenage Rebellion Razz

and no, i don't not think 45 is the best song ever nor their best song. i like it a lot though.
Back to top Go down
cockypessimist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cockypessimist

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 pm

it's a great singalong. it's great to hear live with amazing energy. i could see someone hearing 45 on the radio,liking it, then not getting what the expect with more GA songs becasue 45 is not the deepest of lyrics. it is going to be tough for anything to be a better album opener than "Great Expectations"
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

It's definitely one of the best. Kinda surprised at how vehement the answers are in this thread, to be honest.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:09 pm

NYYFAN523 wrote:
steph wrote:

no.

And imo Boomboxes, Senor and The Queen, Great Expectations, and American Slang are all better album openers.

amazing song, but every other album has had a better opener IMO
Back to top Go down
AGoodTime
A Contender
A Contender
AGoodTime

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

No way. My favourite would probably be Wherefore Art Thou, Elvis? (Although The Navesink Banks is incredible) If I had to make a top twenty maybe even thirty list, 45 wouldn't be considered. It's good, very good, but all Gaslight songs are at least very good. Definitely not.

As people are putting their favourite openers:
Boomboxes > Senor > American Slang > 45

Last edited by AGoodTime on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 2:30 pm

EveryLittleSecret wrote:
NYYFAN523 wrote:
steph wrote:

no.

amazing song, but every other album has had a better opener IMO

I'm sorry, I'm not going for Boomboxes and (especially) American Slang as better openers. And as much as I like Senor and the Queen I think 45 is much better. Great Expectations is incredible, but even that is in danger of being overtaken in terms of sheer release. The video shoot was fucking magical, and everyone I've talked to felt the same thing. That song is a monster.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
sandinista
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 pm

45 Is brilliant . A great feelgood track not swamped with too many guitars and overdubs like a lot of the album . Best Gaslight song ever ? Probably not .. but a superb song none the less .
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm pretty much with everyone else that it's definitely not close to being one of their best songs, but I kinda think it might be my favorite album opener. My order would probably be
45 > American Slang > Great Expectations > Senor > Boomboxes, though I love all of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?   Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is "45" The Best Gaslight Song EVER?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next