DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Clash

Go down 
+37
B701
A_Regular
Jack
White Man In Hammersmith
DeathoftheCool
NeverTrustAJunkie
ThisMachineKillsFascists
verbos
NDTGA
clashcityrocker
amberfoyd
PFREEZY
drifter69
izeoftheworld
Perka
Ryan
IKeeptheDiner
MKULTRA
McMenemy
simo
thisisjah
steady now steady now
steph
rosstbh
Shipyards
The Major
kieran
Jukebox Romeo
ambrose
syebot
Forum Owner
Stalls_Standing
dandangoose
billy pilgrim
e7c
PatientFabiWheel
JoshRaymond
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 1:54 pm

IKeeptheDiner wrote:
steph wrote:
So this is way late to add to the conversation, but in regards to the comments referencing The Clash as "not punk" ... I guess I've always had quite the opposite opinion. Of course it's just my opinion, but, as someone mentioned The Sex Pistols as punk as opposed to The Clash not so much, I guess it depends on how you define punk. But The Clash, to me, were always more punk in their attitude and the way they didn't adhere to anyone's strict ideals of what punk should be or sound like.

ditto. they still haven't become an image like the sex pistols. it ergs me when i go to target and see sex pistols boxers or shot glasses. the clash is one of the top influential punk bands that ever will exist. they were the first lp i bought (self titled). now if only i can find a cheap copy sandinista on vinyl. haha. i guess theres ebay.

The Clash are way more punk than the Sex Pistols who were created by a clothing store.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:57 pm

uh oh haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
clashcityrocker
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
clashcityrocker

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Greatest band of all time. Hands down. They've inspired me beyond measure.
Back to top Go down
NDTGA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 am

drifter69 wrote:
listened to "london calling" for the first time today and i freaking love,was expecting a punk record but it's got so many genres it unbelievable.only heard the first album until today,gonna buy the rest of the clash discography now.great band.

So jealous. I wish I could have that "I just listened to London Calling for the first time" feeling again. You only get that once I guess.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 am

PFREEZY wrote:
IKeeptheDiner wrote:
steph wrote:
So this is way late to add to the conversation, but in regards to the comments referencing The Clash as "not punk" ... I guess I've always had quite the opposite opinion. Of course it's just my opinion, but, as someone mentioned The Sex Pistols as punk as opposed to The Clash not so much, I guess it depends on how you define punk. But The Clash, to me, were always more punk in their attitude and the way they didn't adhere to anyone's strict ideals of what punk should be or sound like.

ditto. they still haven't become an image like the sex pistols. it ergs me when i go to target and see sex pistols boxers or shot glasses. the clash is one of the top influential punk bands that ever will exist. they were the first lp i bought (self titled). now if only i can find a cheap copy sandinista on vinyl. haha. i guess theres ebay.

The Clash are way more punk than the Sex Pistols who were created by a clothing store.

but...but...sid vicious wore a lock around his neck. plus his name's vicious. doesn't get more punk than that.
Back to top Go down
verbos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
verbos

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 am

Just watched "Westway to the World". Pretty awesome how there's basically no narration; it's just clips of the band members talking during individual interviews put into a chronological order to form a story. It did leave me wishing for a much more in-depth story of the band, though. Also, there are a lot of snippets of live performances that left me wanting much more of those. Their shows looked absolutely electric. I found another DVD on Netflix that promises just live performances of like 20-something songs from different shows. I'll let you guys know if it's any good when i watch it.

Questions for you other Clash fans out there: I only have London Calling (love it) and I'm going to pick up the self-titled album. Should I go for the US or UK release? On a personal level, I enjoy albums as just that, a flowing collection of complementary songs meant to be heard as a whole, other than a collection of individual singles. I hear that the UK version is more along these lines. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:19 am

The UK release is the original album, but the US release is so much better. Every song they added to the US release is awesome and every song they got rid of from the UK release is pretty so-so. Just buy the US release and download the 5 or so songs you don't have from the UK one.
Back to top Go down
Perka
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Perka

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:03 am

simo wrote:
The UK release is the original album, but the US release is so much better. Every song they added to the US release is awesome and every song they got rid of from the UK release is pretty so-so. Just buy the US release and download the 5 or so songs you don't have from the UK one.
I totally agree, buy the US version. "White Riot" is way better at the UK release tho, so download that one as well Smile
Back to top Go down

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Today is Joe Strummer's bday so...Happy Birthday Joe Strummer
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I just picked up a copy of London Calling 1st Pressing for 8 dollars! RADICAL
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 7:22 am

e7c wrote:
I just picked up a copy of London Calling 1st Pressing for 8 dollars! RADICAL

nice; my Clash vinyl, along with all my other old LPs, is burried under tons of boxes in the garage
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/joe-strummer-london-calling/id285877923

Joe Strummer- London Calling Podcast...free download...well worth the listen.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 pm

Nine years since Joe died today. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:46 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/joe-strummer-london-calling/id285877923

Joe Strummer- London Calling Podcast...free download...well worth the listen.

Never knew they had this- thanks for this link! (months later)
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 11:33 pm

hey guys - i'm doing a project on the clash for my music appreciation class tomorrow and i was wondering if there was a video on youtube that best represents the clash's political views and that aspect of the music. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:12 pm

The Clash are the greatest band of all time. For me at least Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Of course, and your username is my favorite song.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Just saw Westway To The World for the first time yesterday. Really good, but I would've liked more time on Give 'Em Enough Rope (favorite Clash album), London Calling (since it's the classic) and less on Sandinista!
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 2:03 pm

It's been a while since I've seen that but to be honest I think GEER is pretty overlooked in general. Has some great songs and it's a great record but it's more of a transition album than any of the others. There are lots of Clash books out there these days though so I bet one of them has plenty on it.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah Give Em Enough Rope is often sneered at due to the "American" production of Sandy Pearlman, when in reality it has many Clash classics - Safe European Home, Tommy Gun, Stay Free, Julie's Been Working For The Drug Squad and English Civil War.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah the production is a little weird but honestly outside of London Calling and maybe the s/t you could complain about the production of any of the albums so I don't really notice anymore. I just try to pay attention to the songs.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Yeah, I kind of hate the production (or, you could argue the arrangements) on a lot of post-London Calling stuff. Personally, I think they drove the synths and dance beats into the ground. I respect that they felt like they could do anything, but there are times I wished they'd done a "back to basics" album after London Calling instead of continuing to push further and further away from punk rock.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:06 am

Today is the 10th anniversary of Joe Strummers death. RIP Joe!
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:42 am

So today I'll be raising a few glasses to Joe, listening to The Clash, The Mescaleros and his other solo work, reading from the many Clash books I have and just generally being a total Strummer nerd haha
Back to top Go down
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Picked up "This is Radio Clash" 12" today. RIP Joe! We love you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Clash - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Clash   The Clash - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Clash
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next