DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Video Release "45"

Go down 
+26
TGAFAN25
YouCanCallMeSally
Daire
Harbortown
White Man In Hammersmith
dustinpardue
EveryLittleSecret
StitchesOnTheRadio
cristinaevelyn
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
thomas94
moosicmaniac
Van Der Twix
bt211
Jack
Jerseyrain
loazis
njguy99
ghosttocoast
Velocity
enola
NeverTrustAJunkie
Debonair
DeathoftheCool
azlisa
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Video Release "45" - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 2:58 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I And I think if I didn't know what they DIDN'T show, I wouldn't be nitpicking.

Haha that's my problem too! Oh well, if that's the price we pay for having such a wonderful experience I'll take it!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Debonair wrote:

I actually found this video to kinda have a story. The song is pretty much (at the basic sense) about uncertainty if fans will like their new song and that they can't do the same thing forever. So you could say the first part of the video, is them practicing, the fans haven't heard the song yet. The back stage scenes show nervousness, and unease, especially on Brian's face in one shot. Gaslight then plays and the fans love it, so "they are heading in the right direction".
I didn't describe it 100% but I'm sure you can get what I mean.

I definitely get what you're saying, and I can see it being interpreted that way. Maybe that's what they were going for. But I dare to say if that's what they were going for they would have hired a different director, since this guy doesn't seem to do "story videos."

Alternative vision: I could see them doing the whole first half as stops-and-starts. All in slow motion, like a hazy dream: Shot of the beach, shot of the band nervously waiting, Brian strumming his guitar, singing a few lines, stopping. Them up on stage. Nothing going right. Then the fans file in. There's nervous energy...the band comes on stage to cheers. They start the song and -boom- we're back in real-time, and all is right with the world. The fans love it. Brian smiles. Turn the record over.

Anyone good at video editing want to try re-editing it that way? sunny
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:02 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
I And I think if I didn't know what they DIDN'T show, I wouldn't be nitpicking.

Haha that's my problem too! Oh well, if that's the price we pay for having such a wonderful experience I'll take it!

I just edited my post but I know just what you mean about expectations- I went into my viewing thinking there'd be all this crowd stuff, either from outside or the show itself and then was like "Umm...ok?" But after checking it out again today, I'm not as negative about the video.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
For example. The shot in this video at the 0:58 second mark, but professionally done and maybe a little closer up, would have been a great moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGyBY-MJsE

And I also still think there was a bit too much slow motion.

Good catch. That was a great moment, and it was repeated - what - 7 times?

It's almost like they used the slow-mo to cover up a lack of usable footage, which I can't imagine happened.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:13 pm

njguy99 wrote:
Debonair wrote:

I actually found this video to kinda have a story. The song is pretty much (at the basic sense) about uncertainty if fans will like their new song and that they can't do the same thing forever. So you could say the first part of the video, is them practicing, the fans haven't heard the song yet. The back stage scenes show nervousness, and unease, especially on Brian's face in one shot. Gaslight then plays and the fans love it, so "they are heading in the right direction".
I didn't describe it 100% but I'm sure you can get what I mean.

I definitely get what you're saying, and I can see it being interpreted that way. Maybe that's what they were going for. But I dare to say if that's what they were going for they would have hired a different director, since this guy doesn't seem to do "story videos."

Alternative vision: I could see them doing the whole first half as stops-and-starts. All in slow motion, like a hazy dream: Shot of the beach, shot of the band nervously waiting, Brian strumming his guitar, singing a few lines, stopping. Them up on stage. Nothing going right. Then the fans file in. There's nervous energy...the band comes on stage to cheers. They start the song and -boom- we're back in real-time, and all is right with the world. The fans love it. Brian smiles. Turn the record over.

Anyone good at video editing want to try re-editing it that way? sunny

Aww man I wish they did that! Haha, can we just have like 5 versions of this video? There's so many ways it could have gone (in addition to the one they chose) and all of them would be great! Haha if I had access to all the footage I'd love to make other versions but I also wouldn't feel right about it cuz I'm sure the band is happy with it and I wouldn't wanna go against that. Smile
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:20 pm

njguy99 wrote:

It's almost like they used the slow-mo to cover up a lack of usable footage, which I can't imagine happened.

Totally crossed my mind too. And yes that can totally happen!
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:23 pm

Oh believe me I didn't initially get this "story" idea. Music videos, to me, are always suppose to have something to do with the song. So I was a little bummed thinking that it was just a shoot of them playing live. That doesn't really make alot of sense for a music video about this song - to me. It took a couple of watches before I thought "maybe this is what they are going for". If it was what they were going for, it definately could have been executed a little better.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Not to rag on the director ...but here are a couple of his other videos. It does shed a lot of light on why the 45 one looks the way it does and is constructed the way it is.

(PS: Part of the reason some of us aren't as thrilled as we could be is because we're used to a different style of video from Gaslight. This one isn't the same, but that doesn't make it better or worse...just different.)

http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/3/3/1333/richard-ashcroft-are-you-ready

Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Neutral i thought it was cool
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm

DeathoftheCool wrote:

And it is! Don't let us nitpickers drag you down!
flower
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

[url=Video Release "45" - Page 3 165491_4116186152784_694270970_n]

This will forever be my fav photo! thats me!
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice! I remember you turning up a couple times in the video. you look like Ian!
Back to top Go down
Van Der Twix
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Van Der Twix

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Debonair wrote:
Director: Giorgio Testi

Producer: Lia Mayer-Sommer

Record Label: Mercury Records

(C) 2012 The Island Def Jam Music Group

Thank's a lot ! Smile
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 pm

njguy99 wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

flower

Agreed. I don't want to come back here to a post saying "I don't know wtf with you guys, it's a brilliant video. Stop complaining, blah blah blah." I fully admit that I had expectations that weren't met. Had I not had any, I would have no problem with the video. As it is whatever thoughts I had earlier are dissipating.
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't see how it's much different to other videos. Don't they all have a performance at the heart of them?
In fact, I remember an interview with either Alex R or Benny and they said that they wouldn't do the acting thing and stick largly with them plaaying instruments.
Back to top Go down
YouCanCallMeSally
A Contender
A Contender
YouCanCallMeSally

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 5:31 pm

I agree with StitchesontheRadio on all her points but I am reeeeeeeaaaally jealous I wasn't a part of it, must be so cool for you guys, especially Everylittlesecret Smile

Forgot who said that it just doesn't seem to be the right video for like a breakthrough moment. I agree. But I always need a lot of time to get used to things anyway
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/rubychaos

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 5:49 pm

decent video.

personally im not a fan on music videos in general.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 5:49 pm

I absolutely LOVE this video!!! It captures what it's like to be at a show and what the band is all about Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
njguy99 wrote:
DeathoftheCool wrote:

flower

Agreed. I don't want to come back here to a post saying "I don't know wtf with you guys, it's a brilliant video. Stop complaining, blah blah blah." I fully admit that I had expectations that weren't met. Had I not had any, I would have no problem with the video. As it is whatever thoughts I had earlier are dissipating.

High Five

...I just love how, after watching the video, it seems like they turned the record over. geek

But, seriously, I thought it was good. Definitely showed the energy of their fans and how much they really enjoy playing. And, man... that beard! haha
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
decent video.

personally im not a fan on music videos in general.

i don't really like music videos either! but gaslight... I love you
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 pm

I already watched probably another five times tonight. I just love the energy. And the Stone Pony shots in the rain. The other thing the video made me realize is how much I like the song as such.
And we still have the other songs from the new record to look forward to Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
ddagosti
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ddagosti

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Only close up of a girl in the whole video is my gf at 2:50, 2:51. I was directly behind her but its cool...Honored to be connected to someone in a gaslight video hah!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 1:26 pm

I hate "story" videos, so this was alright with me. Would've liked more of the crowd, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2012 1:53 pm

ddagosti wrote:
Only close up of a girl in the whole video is my gf at 2:50, 2:51. I was directly behind her but its cool...Honored to be connected to someone in a gaslight video hah!

That's your girlfriend? She's cute...well done, sir haha.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 am

only just catching up with all this ...

I think it's a beautifully photographed video and I do like the concept, however ...

... the contrast between the 'before' and 'live' segments isn't great enough, as the 'before' segment looks like a live segment without the crowd. In that respect I think the Chili Pepper's 'Snow (Hey Oh)' video, which is one of my all time favourites, does a much better job of the contrast, as well as of the fan element (see below).

That said, the '45' shows the band we know and like to see and hear.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Release "45"
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next