DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Video Release "45"

Go down 
+26
TGAFAN25
YouCanCallMeSally
Daire
Harbortown
White Man In Hammersmith
dustinpardue
EveryLittleSecret
StitchesOnTheRadio
cristinaevelyn
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Klown
thomas94
moosicmaniac
Van Der Twix
bt211
Jack
Jerseyrain
loazis
njguy99
ghosttocoast
Velocity
enola
NeverTrustAJunkie
Debonair
DeathoftheCool
azlisa
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Video Release "45" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am

Ohhh, nice!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:53 am

Just watched it again and I like it a lot better the second time through Very Happy

Anyone else notice all the love-shots of Ian?

Also, the one shot of Alex R smiling on the left side of the stage is probably from during the Devils-Rangers chanting. Or when they started playing "Walking on the Moon." He definitely didn't smile while he was playing 45. He was looking down during that, very intense...
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 am

Becoming desperate here in Germany. I can't watch that video...even via several proxies it's not possible for me(an error occures).

Can anybody help me?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 10:55 am

thomas94 wrote:
Becoming desperate here in Germany. I can't watch that video...even via several proxies it's not possible for me(an error occures).

Can anybody help me?

tunnelbear.com
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 am

Klown wrote:
thomas94 wrote:

Can anybody help me?

tunnelbear.com

Thanks, never heard about that...is that safe?
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:03 am

Yep, completely safe Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:17 am

I absolutely LOVE this video! The energy is so high, it's very well made, I think the backstage shots are great, and the crowd shots are fantastic! That crowd surfer was perfect. How cool to be included in the video like that!
Back to top Go down
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks. I watched it now.

Really like the video, even because of the fact that all the shots look authentic and not posed.
Back to top Go down
cristinaevelyn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
cristinaevelyn

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 am

i talked to the director for a few seconds outside while he was smoking a cig. his name is giorgio they flew him in from london but he's italian and this was his first trip to jersey.. he wanted it to be like in the sopranos (his favorite show).

Van Der Twix wrote:
I love the video ! It's awesome !
Just a question, do you know who was the director of the shot ? Smile
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 pm

Director: Giorgio Testi

Producer: Lia Mayer-Sommer

Record Label: Mercury Records

(C) 2012 The Island Def Jam Music Group
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

ghosttocoast wrote:
I like it, the performance shots and the ones backstage are done really well.

But I was hoping they'd capture that moment when the chorus kicks in and everyone's hands were raised simultaneously. That was awesome.

I agree 100% with this. That was such a brilliant moment and therefore in my opinion a missed opportunity. It would have been a perfect way to kick off the last chorus when they bring the fans in. Instead of just awkwardly being like "oh by the way, this room is filled with people". Although it really doesn't show how many ppl were there.

This video is awesome and I like the chronology of it. And I know I'm being critical. But I personally would have cut the slow motion thing at the end when they bring the crowd into it and let it be normal speed (except for maybe one or two moments) because there's SOOOO much energy in this song and yet more than 50% of the video is in slow motion.

I love this cinematically but to get fans I'd rather tell people to watch the bootleg version that someone took.

I don't think the crew or director were prepared for the crowd to be what it was and had planned around accommodating for a lackluster crowd. Then when they got an amazing crowd they didn't know what to do with it. But maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry my inner filmmaker took over when I saw this. Hence the rant.

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Now that we actually know the director's full name, he has a pretty impressive resume. He's done videos for Blur, James Blunt and others. Though apparently his specialty is "live performance videos" (aka: videos culled from concert performances).
Back to top Go down
EveryLittleSecret
A Contender
A Contender
EveryLittleSecret

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 pm

GREAT VIDEO! im in quite a few shots at the end, guess it was a good choice to wear a brighter blue shirt that day! at 2:57, im the only person in the shoot between the 2 security guards, i literally squealed like a child when i saw it!

This is not helping my "Handwritten" anticipation!!!!
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 pm

EveryLittleSecret wrote:
GREAT VIDEO! im in quite a few shots at the end, guess it was a good choice to wear a brighter blue shirt that day! at 2:57, im the only person in the shoot between the 2 security guards, i literally squealed like a child when i saw it!

Is that you again at 3:04?
Back to top Go down
dustinpardue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 pm

I haven't been able to watch it closely enough hiding my screen at work to see if I can see myself. Either way it was a great time and a free show!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm

VIdeo's pretty cool. Backstage stuff wasn't really necessary. I wish they would've done some more shots of the crowd instead, or maybe even fit a sort of story into those parts, a la '59 Sound, or maybe had more "fun" shot of the band, instead of "dramatically slow", like Woody. Otherwise, still pretty cool stuff.

Oh, and this is not helping me with my wait for July. Come on, guys. Just one more song! Give us one more song to make it through June and July!
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Agreed on the crowd/chorus/hands raised thing, that was definitely something I was expecting to see in the video so a bit of a surprise it was left out.

Still, a very cool video and it's got me even more excited for Koko club!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Kind of a boring video, in my opinion.

It doesn't tell a story, and it doesn't really pull you in either.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Harbortown wrote:

I feel like they got caught between trying to tell a story (the backstage stuff) and showing a concert performance. And both fell short.

If they were going for the "live show" thing, then go for it! Go all out! It's not like they didn't have a crowd of several hundred people going crazy, screaming the lyrics, and what not, all at their disposal.

I like it a lot I just think it could have been sooo much better. And I wanted more from it given that they're trying to pull in fans. A new potential fan watching the video isn't gonna care about the backstage stuff. Maybe my expectations were too high.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

I feel like they got caught between trying to tell a story (the backstage stuff) and showing a concert performance. And both fell short.

If they were going for the "live show" thing, then go for it! Go all out! It's not like they didn't have a crowd of several hundred people going crazy, screaming the lyrics, and what not, all at their disposal.

I like it a lot I just think it could have been sooo much better. And I wanted more from it given that they're trying to pull in fans. A new potential fan watching the video isn't gonna care about the backstage stuff. Maybe my expectations were too high.
Indeed. I was really waiting to see the hands shoot up during the chorus, kinda disappointing that that wasn't in the video.

Well, I think having high expectations at this point is perfectly alright. They're on a major label after all. And look at how great most of their other videos are. This is kind of on the same level as I'da called you Woody, Joe if you ask me. At the time it was understandable for them to have a video like that, but this isn't a good promotional video for a band with skyhigh ambitions.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Harbortown wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Indeed. I was really waiting to see the hands shoot up during the chorus, kinda disappointing that that wasn't in the video.

Well, I think having high expectations at this point is perfectly alright. They're on a major label after all. And look at how great most of their other videos are. This is kind of on the same level as I'da called you Woody, Joe if you ask me. At the time it was understandable for them to have a video like that, but this isn't a good promotional video for a band with skyhigh ambitions.

Exactly! It's great for people who are already fans. It lacks though for promotion. That's what's frustrating me.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 1:54 pm

You have to take the video for what it is: a snapshot of a live performance. That's what the guys apparently wanted, that's what this director is known for, and that's what they got. It's definitely not what a lot of other directors do, like our old friend Kevin Slack (who directed Bring it On), but as far as concert videos go it's pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

njguy99 wrote:
You have to take the video for what it is: a snapshot of a live performance. That's what the guys apparently wanted, that's what this director is known for, and that's what they got. It's definitely not what a lot of other directors do, like our old friend Kevin Slack (who directed Bring it On), but as far as concert videos go it's pretty decent.

I actually found this video to kinda have a story. The song is pretty much (at the basic sense) about uncertainty if fans will like their new song and that they can't do the same thing forever. So you could say the first part of the video, is them practicing, the fans haven't heard the song yet. The back stage scenes show nervousness, and unease, especially on Brian's face in one shot. Gaslight then plays and the fans love it, so "they are heading in the right direction".

I didn't describe it 100% but I'm sure you can get what I mean.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 2:52 pm

I looked at it like an inside look at a Gaslight show- things are quiet and slow moving, then they meet up with their friends (fans) and party it up.

Maybe there were other factors why they didn't have so much crowd footage. Like maybe there were eyesores, a crew member got in a shot, or the lighting wasn't bright enough... who knows! Not a bad effort, but I do think there was a bit of overkill on the slow-mo. After another viewing this morning I like it better. I was purposefully looking for the crowd shots which probably clouded my judgement and caused some impatience with the first part of the video. If I didn't know about how much they didn't put in the final cut, I probably wouldn't be nitpicking.

Last edited by NeverTrustAJunkie on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Debonair wrote:
njguy99 wrote:

I actually found this video to kinda have a story. The song is pretty much (at the basic sense) about uncertainty if fans will like their new song and that they can't do the same thing forever. So you could say the first part of the video, is them practicing, the fans haven't heard the song yet. The back stage scenes show nervousness, and unease, especially on Brian's face in one shot. Gaslight then plays and the fans love it, so "they are heading in the right direction".

I didn't describe it 100% but I'm sure you can get what I mean.

That makes sense. I didn't look at the story that way but it fits. Thanks for that description! and it has grown on me the more I watch it. I just made the mistake of going into it expecting specific moments that weren't there.

And don't get me wrong though I really do love the video and I get it, I do think it was well done. I just think, having seen other performance style videos, there were one or two missed opportunities, and I know I'm nitpicking.

For example. The shot in this video at the 0:58 second mark, but professionally done and maybe a little closer up, would have been a great moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYGyBY-MJsE

And I also still think there was a bit too much slow motion.

Last edited by StitchesOnTheRadio on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video Release "45"   Video Release "45" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video Release "45"
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next