DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Study Music

Go down 
+7
simo
HorribleCrowe
Camus
IrishNameAndAnInjury
eremitapa
JimmyB
Kosburn59
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm

I always like to find new music I can study to, and my list is kind of narrow at the moment. It's impossible with Gaslight and Frank Turner because I automatically want to break out my instruments, play along, and sing obnoxiously. I wanted to see what you guys might suggest - maybe some classical, or some jazz? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Some of the quiet Springsteen songs are good.
Drive all night,wreck on the highway, Ghost of tom Joad, Youngstown
Some country is not too bad.
Back to top Go down
eremitapa
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
eremitapa

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Some post-rock like Explosions in the sky or Mogwai do the trick for me. Miles Davis - Some kind of blue is a great jazz record to study to. If I´m in classic mode some Tchaikovsky is always great. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kosburn59
Wooderson
Wooderson
Kosburn59

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:25 pm

eremitapa wrote:
Some post-rock like Explosions in the sky or Mogwai do the trick for me. Miles Davis - Some kind of blue is a great jazz record to study to. If I´m in classic mode some Tchaikovsky is always great. Smile

Oh, I definitely have some Mogwai. They're wonderful. I have a bit of Miles Davis as well, especially that record!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:44 pm

When I'm trying to write or do research, the old 70s singer/songwriter stuff always helps me concentrate. James Taylor and Carole King especially, but Jackson Browne, Carly Simon, Harry Chapin, Cat Stevens, and Jim Croce are fantastic too. Their music is pretty mellow, so it allows me to just get lost in my work and drown out the rest of the world.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:09 pm

eremitapa wrote:

I'll agree with this. Sigur Ros usually works for me, and after Ilaria recommended Explosions in the Sky to me yesterday I would definitely agree with that
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Nat cole king sure does the thing too!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Here's a few of my favorite jazz records:

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I listened to a lot of damien rice too but that might be too depressing if you're not in the right mood Razz
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8d92bfKW9k
Back to top Go down

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Sound Tribe Sector Nine.

check it out.

Back to top Go down

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 pm

I listened to a lot of stuff by The Appleseed Cast while I studied. Stuff like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHp-kCiiD0

Also great for zoning out on long car trips!
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:44 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:

I love Crystal Castles!
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 7:14 pm

WingsForWheels wrote:

Holy crap! WTF is that? It sounds like a dying cat! haha ...not sure if it would make good study music. Maybe if you had the right personality for it.

I'd probably recommend some Mosart, like Symphony # 25 in Gm or maybe his 9th Symphony. The 9th is great!
I always tried to find the ones that were like 12 minutes long or more.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:32 pm

eremitapa wrote:

post-rock has become one of my favorite genres to listen to in general. It's the only music I can study and do school work too.

Highly Highly recommend Industries of the Blind, Mogwai, Explosions, the Album Leaf, and the Calm Blue Sea. Those are my current favorites. But the best way to enjoy a complete post-rock and instrumental music is on Pandora - either with Explosions in the Sky Radio or Post Rock Radio. The throw in a lot of modern and contemporary composers as well. Some acoustic instrumentalists like Andy McKee are always good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Study Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: Study Music   Study Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Study Music
Page 1 of 1