DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+33
barkjon
SpaceEcho34
Jerseyrain
StitchesOnTheRadio
NeverTrustAJunkie
Hanswurst
joeyi
eagles1139
plugga
JimmyB
Harbortown
JukeboxJuliet
Phil Rockabill
Bea
MKULTRA
kieran
Kilgore Trout
riversedge
steph
Clementine
ilockyer
knuckles
AudreyHepburnPearls
drifter69
Broken Hero
enola
scarsrsouvenirs
Prisoner
steady now steady now
loazis
sweetpaul
gaslightom
Yozzy
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
Ryan Gosling's new movie PLACE BEYOND THE PINES. Big time. Got all the superficial Gaslight imagery: tattoos, carnivals, a Brian Fallon-looking star...And all of the themes in Gaslight songs too: small-town despair, romanticism, father issues (that one especially)

It's the best film I've seen in a while, definitely one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen. I think Gaslight fans will appreciate it. It's by the same director as Blue Valentine and features equally great performances.

That's funny, cuz I walked outta the theater saying "I just watched a Springsteen song in movie form" but I can definitely see the gaslight relation too for the reasons you said. And I agree with ya, this film is excellent!

Oh yeah I definitely thought Springsteen too. It's basically if the Magic Rat from Jungleland fathered a child before
Spoiler:
and the song continued to follow that kid's life. Also Adam Raised a Cain came to mind.

I can see the magic rat reference but I can't say the whole film was reminiscent of a Springsteen song.

To me the film was divided into three parts. Luke (Ryan Gosling's) story, The cop's (Bradley Cooper) story and then finally the story between their sons. To me only the first story reminisced anything Springsteen but its enough to see where you guys are coming from. I though it was a good film overall but I was ready for it to end when it did if you get me.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
A_Regular
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
A_Regular

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Yeah something ridiculously cheesy
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
Ryan Gosling's new movie PLACE BEYOND THE PINES. Big time. Got all the superficial Gaslight imagery: tattoos, carnivals, a Brian Fallon-looking star...And all of the themes in Gaslight songs too: small-town despair, romanticism, father issues (that one especially)

It's the best film I've seen in a while, definitely one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen. I think Gaslight fans will appreciate it. It's by the same director as Blue Valentine and features equally great performances.

That's funny, cuz I walked outta the theater saying "I just watched a Springsteen song in movie form" but I can definitely see the gaslight relation too for the reasons you said. And I agree with ya, this film is excellent!

Oh yeah I definitely thought Springsteen too. It's basically if the Magic Rat from Jungleland fathered a child before
Spoiler:
and the song continued to follow that kid's life. Also Adam Raised a Cain came to mind.

I can see the magic rat reference but I can't say the whole film was reminiscent of a Springsteen song.

To me the film was divided into three parts. Luke (Ryan Gosling's) story, The cop's (Bradley Cooper) story and then finally the story between their sons. To me only the first story reminisced anything Springsteen but its enough to see where you guys are coming from. I though it was a good film overall but I was ready for it to end when it did if you get me.

Idk, I thought of a lot of songs Gaslight and Springsteen that related to the first and last part you're right, but to tie in the middle part, what about Highway Patrolman? Granted the characters are brothers in that song but it's the same idea, one guy who's off the rails and another guy who's a cop and how their lives impact each other.

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

Spoiler:

I mean the line "I just wanna love someone who has the same blood" from Keepsake pretty much defines the character of Jason in the third act. He has two good parents in his life (a lot like Brian Fallon, who has a stepfather he's close with) but there's still something missing because his biological father is absent. It's when he starts "sniffing out blood" (aka looking for info about his father) that Jason gets into trouble.

Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

Spoiler:

I mean the line "I just wanna love someone who has the same blood" from Keepsake pretty much defines the character of Jason in the third act. He has two good parents in his life (a lot like Brian Fallon, who has a stepfather he's close with) but there's still something missing because his biological father is absent. It's when he starts "sniffing out blood" (aka looking for info about his father) that Jason gets into trouble.

Totally agree with your analysis! This movie was FANTASTIC

Also, highly recommend Blue Valentine by the same director
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Blue Valentine's amazing. One of those movies you can love without necessarily wanting to watch it many times because it is so heartbreaking. But Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling give two performances that don't get NEARLY enough credit....Seriously I would rank that Gosling performance up with any I've ever seen. Felt like I was watching a real guy as he lost his marriage.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

eagles1139 wrote:
rkirkpatrick25 wrote:

Blue Valentine's amazing. One of those movies you can love without necessarily wanting to watch it many times because it is so heartbreaking. But Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling give two performances that don't get NEARLY enough credit....Seriously I would rank that Gosling performance up with any I've ever seen. Felt like I was watching a real guy as he lost his marriage.

I totally agree with your analysis too! Keepsake is dead on for the third act.

And I agree about Blue Valentine. Brilliant, but I'll probably never watch it again, haha. Ryan Gosling just picks the best movies.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 1:50 am

I listened to Keepsake immediately after getting in my car after seeing The Place Beyond The Pines. Just a perfect fit. Incredible film. I need to see it again. I'd rank the acts as follows: I, III, II. The first was flawless. Absolutely perfect. The third tied everything up and was just so poetic and beautiful. The second is a big part of why I want to see it again. I didn't realize going in it had three distinct parts to it. So I feel like I can enjoy it more now.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:09 pm

My namesake!

The various recurring themes of lost and scorn love contrasted by unresolved feelings, the occasional feelings of being at odds with everything...tracks that come to mind specifically are Boxer, Here's Looking At You, Kid (quite obviously a Casablanca reference) and We Did it When We Were Young.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm

I did not enjoy Blue Valentine. I guess I like the happy endings
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 2:40 am

I absolutely love Blue Valentine, have seen it multiple times, have it on DVD, and plan on seeing it more. Not sure I really get why people feel otherwise.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 3:00 am

For me, it was really hard to digest emotionally.... It is brutally honest about the arch of a relationship that some people go through.... I've been through a similar arch, I hope my current relationship doesn't go down that same road, and it certainly doesn't feel good to watch a movie again that demonstrates a negative outcome of what could happen in my current relationship....

To be honest, to watch it over again would feel like masochism to me...

To me, that couple was completely in love and somehow everything got entirely fucked up...

If you haven't experienced a lot of love/loss, I could understand wanting to connect with the bitter reality of itand live through the story in a way, but it's absolutely devastating to connect with Blue Valentine on a personal level
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 4:08 am

No, I absolutely have experienced it. To me it makes it that much better. Something that powerful is absolutely incredible and worth experiencing multiple times. Drawing an obvious parallel, Elsie's difficult to listen to, but I put it on a lot when I'm in a dark head space.

Whether it's A Streetcar Named Desire or Romeo and Juliet, romantic tragedy is always an incredibly powerful subject and (to me, at least) is an incredibly cathartic thing to witness. I don't know, maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 4:18 am

Who here likes VERTIGO? it's my favorite movie.
Also, Mulholland Drive the movie is incredible
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:30 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Who here likes VERTIGO? it's my favorite movie.
Also, Mulholland Drive the movie is incredible

I think mulholland Drive might have its own thread if you like it there may be more on it in there. Very confusing film in some ways. It left me wondering 'what the hell have I just watched' but I though it was good at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:33 am

Back on Blue Valentine again I think the moral of the story rings true. It is a reality for a lot of people. Things can go stale. Ive not experienced it perhaps to that extent but I was expecting something a little more easier going. hadn't realised it was so tragic...
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

I'll bump with "Young Adult".

The whole nostalgia and stuck in the past theme runs thick in this movie.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm rewatching The Black Donnellys for the millionth time and it still makes me think of Gaslight, if only for the Irishness and Tom Guiry's (at times) uncanny resemblance to Mr. Fallon:

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 MV5BMTU0Mzk4NTI4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjI5NDY3._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Jimmy-Donnelly-the-black-donnellys-1181766_200_200
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 12:08 am

Jack wrote:
I'm rewatching The Black Donnellys for the millionth time and it still makes me think of Gaslight, if only for the Irishness and Tom Guiry's (at times) uncanny resemblance to Mr. Fallon:

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 MV5BMTU0Mzk4NTI4OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjI5NDY3._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Jimmy-Donnelly-the-black-donnellys-1181766_200_200
Wish that show could get revived.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Yozzy wrote:
Jack wrote:

Wish that show could get revived.
I've been wishing that ever since it was cancelled. One of my all-time favs. Jersey guy, Mr. Guiry. I met his mom once haha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3