DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+33
barkjon
SpaceEcho34
Jerseyrain
StitchesOnTheRadio
NeverTrustAJunkie
Hanswurst
joeyi
eagles1139
plugga
JimmyB
Harbortown
JukeboxJuliet
Phil Rockabill
Bea
MKULTRA
kieran
Kilgore Trout
riversedge
steph
Clementine
ilockyer
knuckles
AudreyHepburnPearls
drifter69
Broken Hero
enola
scarsrsouvenirs
Prisoner
steady now steady now
loazis
sweetpaul
gaslightom
Yozzy
37 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Empty
PostSubject: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Everything they're about is just very interesting, and I'd love to have exposure to their style in other media.

Film
- American Graffiti - Vintage cars, last summer night in town, coming of age story.
- Two-Lane Blacktop - Haven't seen it, but, nice cars, road trip, companionship.
- Blue Valentine - Reminds me of 'Bring It On'.

Books
- On The Road - Road trip, girls, companionship, inspired by jazz.
- The Catcher In The Rye - Coming of age, also, The Navesink Banks reminds me of this book a lot.
- The Outsides - Again, coming of age, the whole thing is just very '59 Sound-ish

Any others ?
Back to top Go down
gaslightom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
gaslightom

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Great Gatsby American Slang
Back to top Go down
sweetpaul
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 am

Most of Kerouac reminds me of TGA (except Dharma Bums - MGMT).
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 am

I am currently reading On The Road, mostly because of Boys & Girls In America by THS.

Great Expectations by Dickens... Razz

edit: By the way, you guys better come up with some awesome novels here because I am gonna check out all your suggestions.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 am

movie: 'Rumble Fish'
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 am

The Notebook haha

because of the carnaval, ferris wheel, summer love etc.
Back to top Go down
scarsrsouvenirs
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 am

Prisoner wrote:
The Notebook haha

because of the carnaval, ferris wheel, summer love etc.

Haha I've always kinda thought that too. Plus, i think Brian and Ryan Gosling look kinda similar
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I'm gonna second The Outsiders; book and movie.
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 4:52 pm

The Outsiders definitely ... book and movie. Totally agree on that.
I have Rumble Fish with me to read on holidays. More on that later Smile

Last edited by enola on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Broken Hero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Broken Hero

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Got to be Dazed and Confused. I was at the Birmingham show last year when he said that 'Wooderson' was based on Matthew McConaughey's character David Wooderson and the fact that he always said, 'Alright'.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:04 pm

The Wizard Of Oz.

Bring It On, I Coul'da Been a Contender and Mary, The Blues (from the top of my head) contain references to Dorothy!
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 3:16 pm

randomly "rebel without a cause"
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
AudreyHepburnPearls
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AudreyHepburnPearls

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 am

drifter69 wrote:
randomly "rebel without a cause"

Beat me to it! Hard to say what the direct connection is, but similar feel I guess. Great film anyway.
Back to top Go down
knuckles
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
knuckles

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 am

Broken Hero wrote:
Got to be Dazed and Confused. I was at the Birmingham show last year when he said that 'Wooderson' was based on Matthew McConaughey's character David Wooderson and the fact that he always said, 'Alright'.

that's fucking awesome!

i don't associate any books or movies with TGA... just other badass music. when i hear something that catches my ear, i always seem to find myself thinking, "Gaslight is better than this shit..."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 6:43 am

knuckles wrote:
i don't associate any books or movies with TGA... just other badass music. when i hear something that catches my ear, i always seem to find myself thinking, "Gaslight is better than this shit..."

I do the exact same thing!
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 am

Yozzy wrote:
Everything they're about is just very interesting, and I'd love to have exposure to their style in other media.

Film
- American Graffiti - Vintage cars, last summer night in town, coming of age story.
- Two-Lane Blacktop - Haven't seen it, but, nice cars, road trip, companionship.
- Blue Valentine - Reminds me of 'Bring It On'.

Books
- On The Road - Road trip, girls, companionship, inspired by jazz.
- The Catcher In The Rye - Coming of age, also, The Navesink Banks reminds me of this book a lot.
- The Outsides - Again, coming of age, the whole thing is just very '59 Sound-ish

Any others ?

Can't think of any others, but good shouts on American Graffiti, awesome movie, and The Outsiders. Haven't read that book in years. Two Lane Blacktop is a great movie.
Back to top Go down
Clementine
A Contender
A Contender
Clementine

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Agree with Blue Valentine
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 am

blue valentine the movie? i love it!
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Richard Russo novels remind me a lot of the americana aspect of gaslight and brians music. I love Richard Russo and reccomend him to everyone out there. Especially Bridge of sighs, i think that best shows the way in which hsi novels resemble some aspects of TGS music. to me anyways
Back to top Go down
Kilgore Trout
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 5:27 pm

John Steinbeck, every time. The themes are generally the same, for one thing: the personal lives of working class people, usually conflicted relationships with home and family, and the implications of a checkered past.

Edit: I should specify that while Steinbeck's whole style of writing pretty well matches Gaslight's, what I'm thinking of most is the book Cannery Row, a series of vignettes about a small industrial town.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I think a lot of Steinbeck's themes are mirroed with Russo in a more contemporary way. Ill check out cannery row, sounds good!
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:19 am

stepsandnumbers wrote:

This was gonna be my suggestion I had no idea there was a movie though.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:19 pm

kieran wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

This was gonna be my suggestion I had no idea there was a movie though.

yeah Coppola directed the movie.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 3:35 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
John Steinbeck, every time. The themes are generally the same, for one thing: the personal lives of working class people, usually conflicted relationships with home and family, and the implications of a checkered past.

Edit: I should specify that while Steinbeck's whole style of writing pretty well matches Gaslight's, what I'm thinking of most is the book Cannery Row, a series of vignettes about a small industrial town.
Yes! Cannery Row, East of Eden, The Wayward Bus... and even The Winter of Our Discontent at times.

and what about Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory? and also The Catcher in the Rye and The Notebook

movies: It's a Wonderful Life, or even Say Anything Razz
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I believe Francis Ford directed Rumble Fish also...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next