DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
+33
barkjon
SpaceEcho34
Jerseyrain
StitchesOnTheRadio
NeverTrustAJunkie
Hanswurst
joeyi
eagles1139
plugga
JimmyB
Harbortown
JukeboxJuliet
Phil Rockabill
Bea
MKULTRA
kieran
Kilgore Trout
riversedge
steph
Clementine
ilockyer
knuckles
AudreyHepburnPearls
drifter69
Broken Hero
enola
scarsrsouvenirs
Prisoner
steady now steady now
loazis
sweetpaul
gaslightom
Yozzy
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Stand By Me reminds me the most of Gaslight. Maybe because They've covered a section of the song before but because if the whole '59 sound... and now i always see chris chambers as a brian fallon figure Wink
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 4:46 pm

i've thought of Stand By Me, but they're a bit too young for them to remind me of Gaslight, but i definetely see what you mean Wink
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Maybe it's their younger -deadbody finding counterparts Wink
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 1:00 am

Bump for Elsie.

So anything other forms of media that remind you of The Horrible Crowes?
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 am

For fans of the Outsiders and Rumble fish. Get yourself a copy of That was then, this is now. Great book by same author (S.E Hinton).
Back to top Go down
JukeboxJuliet
A Contender
A Contender
JukeboxJuliet

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 2:47 am

No one is going to mention the movie Drive!? Wink I've been obsessing over that for a few days now. Brilliant.

Anyways... all the movies, and the novels (at least the ones I'm aware of) are great mentions! I need to check out Rumble Fish. American Graffiti has always been one of my favorites. (John Milner *swoon*) Two Lane Blacktop is another HUGE personal favorite, but I'm a sucker for real american car flicks I guess. "Make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have ourselves and automobile race." Wink

I'm trying to think of some others that fit the style of The Outsiders, Graffiti, etc.

The Wild One (yet another personal favorite)
Roadracers
The Wanderers
Deuces Wild
The Warriors (kinda)

I'll have to do some more thinking. Great thread!

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 3:06 am

Couldn't really think of any movies or books that remind me of The Gaslight Anthem, but there's this pretty cool TV-show that just spoke to me in the same way that the band does. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that reminds me of the band, but here's a promotional poster from the show:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 am

It has to be the Cadillac tattoo of that one douchebag with the stupid hair that does it Harbor.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 am

loazis wrote:
It has to be the Cadillac tattoo of that one douchebag with the stupid hair that does it Harbor.

They all have horrible hair!
Back to top Go down
plugga
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
plugga

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 am

dying. I wish I lived in florence so I could've stalked them last spring.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Wanted to revive this thread because I reread the Outsiders (when I was a kid it was my favorite book).

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations for books that are kinda similar to Brian's lyrics it would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 4:05 am

Check out some work from Adrian Tomine, he does graphic novels, but definitely a recommendation for Gaslight fans.
Back to top Go down
joeyi
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Bea wrote:
Kilgore Trout wrote:
John Steinbeck, every time. The themes are generally the same, for one thing: the personal lives of working class people, usually conflicted relationships with home and family, and the implications of a checkered past.

Edit: I should specify that while Steinbeck's whole style of writing pretty well matches Gaslight's, what I'm thinking of most is the book Cannery Row, a series of vignettes about a small industrial town.
Yes! Cannery Row, East of Eden, The Wayward Bus... and even The Winter of Our Discontent at times.

and what about Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory? and also The Catcher in the Rye and The Notebook

movies: It's a Wonderful Life, or even Say Anything Razz

i was definitely going to say Winter Of Our Discontent. one of my favorites
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Bump for Handwritten!
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Yozzy wrote:
Check out some work from Adrian Tomine, he does graphic novels, but definitely a recommendation for Gaslight fans.

ha, great work - should've done some artwork for Gaslight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 pm

The Last Picture Show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5--T-xchIk (skip to :53)
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Hanswurst wrote:

ha, great work - should've done some artwork for Gaslight Very Happy

That would be a dream!
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
The Last Picture Show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5--T-xchIk (skip to :53)

I've been meaning to watch this one... well worth it?
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 pm

Yozzy wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

I've been meaning to watch this one... well worth it?

I would say yes. It's a very interesting movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQomR5xJ_Y this is the trailer. Cybill Shepard's character seems like the kind of girl TGA sings about.
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 am

Ryan Gosling's new movie PLACE BEYOND THE PINES. Big time. Got all the superficial Gaslight imagery: tattoos, carnivals, a Brian Fallon-looking star...And all of the themes in Gaslight songs too: small-town despair, romanticism, father issues (that one especially)

It's the best film I've seen in a while, definitely one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen. I think Gaslight fans will appreciate it. It's by the same director as Blue Valentine and features equally great performances.

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:38 am

eagles1139 wrote:
Ryan Gosling's new movie PLACE BEYOND THE PINES. Big time. Got all the superficial Gaslight imagery: tattoos, carnivals, a Brian Fallon-looking star...And all of the themes in Gaslight songs too: small-town despair, romanticism, father issues (that one especially)

It's the best film I've seen in a while, definitely one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen. I think Gaslight fans will appreciate it. It's by the same director as Blue Valentine and features equally great performances.

That's funny, cuz I walked outta the theater saying "I just watched a Springsteen song in movie form" but I can definitely see the gaslight relation too for the reasons you said. And I agree with ya, this film is excellent!
Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 am

In my head I think T59S album could easily be the soundtrack to a kind of dark, romancey kind of film.

As for films just listen to the song Handwritten and then watch the film Dear John. Its about a summer romance but he's a soldier and spends time away.

What I would say is that this trailer acts as a spoiler for the film. You can pick the dvd up cheap online so Id advise you just buy it.

I love it when tv shows or films have awesome songs that fit moments in the film perfectly and this film does just that. Most notably Joshua Radin and Schuyler Fisk's Paperweight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLkTKkNXDp4
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
eagles1139 wrote:

That's funny, cuz I walked outta the theater saying "I just watched a Springsteen song in movie form" but I can definitely see the gaslight relation too for the reasons you said. And I agree with ya, this film is excellent!

Oh yeah I definitely thought Springsteen too. It's basically if the Magic Rat from Jungleland fathered a child before
Spoiler:
and the song continued to follow that kid's life. Also Adam Raised a Cain came to mind.
Back to top Go down
SpaceEcho34
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SpaceEcho34

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:40 pm

On The Waterfront. Besides the obvious "I could'a been a contender" reference, the movie is very 1950's and very New Jersey.
Back to top Go down
http://thenoisepaper.blogspot.com/
barkjon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury kind of reminds me of TGA. awesome, summery, nostalgic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?   Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any film or novels that remind you of the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next