DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Going to shows alone...?

Go down 
+29
JoshRaymond
oh_megan
TheOtherNewestOne
The Major
Mechamunky
enola
PFREEZY
steady now steady now
IKeeptheDiner
mescalero
Zeebs07
verbos
Gaslight23
amberfoyd
Rock bus
azlisa
Ryan
ForgottenGhosts
CluckyB
hynesie
simo
loazis
fullcollapse
JJW319
Daire
Down by the Mersey
chickenman
NeverTrustAJunkie
Jay
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

Going to shows alone...? Empty
PostSubject: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:39 am

Has anyone ever gone to a show alone before? I can always get at least one friend to go with me but I've seemed to swing and miss with Frank Turner 3 times now. I just can't find someone with either enough cash to throw down 30$ to see someone they don't really like or someone who even likes him enough to go with me. So next time he's in CHicago I'm thinking of going by myself. But that seems like it would be kind of lame to me. Anyone ever gone to a show by themselves and is it fun or even accepted? It just feels like it wouldn't be as much fun.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:59 am

Hi
Happy New Year

Everyone I know goes to shows alone, sometimes on purpose. Can be kind of liberating not having to deal with other people (like if they want to leave, etc). If you're bored in between bands, talk to people or listen to your iPod. Also, no one else cares. No one in line is looking at you like "OMG SOMEONE ALONE! WTF!" Annnnd the biggest plus of all is you don't have to miss out on fantastic shows because someone else is lame/broke Smile
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 7:41 am

In 2009 I travelled alone from Norway to Stockholm, Sweden, to see all three Springsteen shows in Sweden. I stayed in Stockholm from Thursday 'till Monday, and during that time I met up wth some friends, and even made some new ones, but I still travelled alone and had a great time.

I know going to a show alone seems kinda lame, but don't be afraid to give it a shot!

Happy new year everyone!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:21 am

the very first time i saw Lucero was alone cause none of my friends wanted to go.

It was one of the best decisions I made in 2010.

in 2009, I saw Pearl Jam for the first time all by myself. it was amazing

the last time I saw Frank Turner with a friend, she didnt like him....so i guess it would have been better if I had gone alone
Back to top Go down
Down by the Mersey
Wooderson
Wooderson
Down by the Mersey

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 10:26 am

More than happy to go and see a show on my own. In fact it helps as it means I can stand where I want rather than having to go with the majority. Most of my friends aren't that bothered about going to see live bands so rather than miss out I'll buy a single ticket and go and have a blast. Their loss if you ask me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/bosshugo
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 10:30 am

I go the majority of my concerts on my own.
There's much more freedom to do my own thing, and not have to stick with a group.

Having said that, there's few things better than having a few pints with some friends before a show.

oldgospelchoir wrote:

the last time I saw Frank Turner with a friend, she didnt like him....so i guess it would have been better if I had gone alone

I think it'd be better if you weren't friends with this heathen.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 1:36 pm

Everyone I know is either obsessed with rap music and Kesha or just horrible screamo bands.

So yes, I have to go alone.
Nobody appreciates "real" music anymore, and they think folks such as Katy Perry and the likeness are amazingly talented singers, musicians, and songwriters.

I've actually turned one person onto Gaslight. One of the proudest moments ha. So maybe he'll come next time they are around.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:06 pm

I've never had to. I suppose I would, but my husband and I are absolute equals when it comes to bands and shows, so we're always together. He went to a few alone before we met, though. He was 16/17 and there were a couple instances where he couldn't get a buddy to go with him.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I almost always go alone, lack of friends with similar tastes. It's no problem though; if you go to awesome bands there will always be awesome people at the venue so there's always someone to hang out with. And even if there aren't, who gives a crap, it's Frank Turner. As if not having someone you know standing next to you will ruin the night ; )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Daire wrote:

oldgospelchoir wrote:

I think it'd be better if you weren't friends with this heathen.

oh you don't have to worry about that. Frank's music is a big part of my life and anyone who dislikes him can't be part of my life.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 3:27 pm

The reason I started going alone was because I used to have a show friend, but she got so bad at paying me back that I just said to hell with it. Plus we weren't really compatible as friends overall anyway so it worked out. :O

I agree it's more fun to go with friends who share your enthusiasm for a show. But there's definitely no shame in going by yourself! In fact there are probably others that are alone at the shows you've gone to, you just don't realize it.

My best decision was going to Jimmy Eat World on New Year's Eve. At first I felt awful that I was alone on the one holiday no one wants to be by themselves. But they're a favorite band and once I was with the crowd I didn't feel alone at all. Honestly once you're with a group of people (even if they're strangers) who have the same interest, you feel like you're part of the something rather than an isolated person. Then once the music starts you forget about all of that and just enjoy the show.

Go alone and come back to tell us how it went Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 3:37 pm

I've always wanted to go to shows alone, because, like other people mentioned, when you go with others they either don't like the band or they just want to leave. I've never been able to go alone before because I can't drive so I missed out on a ton of shows. I'm hoping to go see Against Me! in a month or so with that band Fences. That's one show I'd love to see alone. Bout time both those bands came to Wisconsin!!
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Sure, occasionally. Once the music's going it's not like you're having a conversation with anybody. I'd rather see one of my favorite artists alone than miss out any day. It's not bad at all and when the music's going, you can act even crazier cause none of your friends are there to see Wink

Obviously it's fun to go to shows with friends but it's not necessary at all.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 5:52 pm

simo wrote:
Once the music's going it's not like you're having a conversation with anybody.

I actually get mad if someone tries to talk to me while the band is on. To me it's like talking during a movie. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
hynesie
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 5:57 pm

There are only 2 situations where i will go to gigs with other people
1 they ask me to go
2 the band is playing more than one show.

Seriously i really don't like going to gigs with other people. When i'm at a gig it's usually cause i love the band, and there is nothing more annoying than having to make sure everyone your with is alright. by going to gigs by myself i have been able to
Get in the pit for springsteen
Dance on stage with dropkick murphys
meet frank turner
meet brian fallon twice

I have also been able to pick up tickets for supposedly sold out gigs for a fraction of the price. In all honesty though the gig will be what you make it. If you decide that everyone is staring at you so you better not do anything of course you'll be miserable. My advice is simple, Head along get a good spot (Much easier when your by yourself) Grab a beer/soda/water, Talk to randomers (Everyones there for the same reason) and just enjoy yourself.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 6:13 pm

It is fun when your friend(s) share your love for the band though.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Oooh that reminds me- another plus is great seats! I had like 10th row for Prince a few years ago, 4th row for that Jimmy Eat World show I mentioned, 8th row for Jay-Z...the list goes on.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm

I pretty much go to all of my showns alone, mainly just because I don't really know anyone with the same level of passion for the bands. I feel like if I dragged a friend to a concert wanting them to have a good time might prevent me from getting lost in the concert and having a good time.
Back to top Go down
ForgottenGhosts
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ForgottenGhosts

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:20 am

That's pretty much how I feel. I usually have a friend or two that would come with me but they're fans of the stuff that I listen to. They always ditch me in the pit because the "can't handle it". During one show, a group of my friends left me in the pit alone twenty seconds into the first song of the night. I would've been much better off going by myself.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 am

Quite interesting that a lot of you go to shows on your own. I was quite worried the first time I done it as I thought it wouldn't be very enjoyable and that I'd look a bit out of place. Like literally everyone's said though, once the band starts you completely forget your with yourself and just enjoy the show. I suppose the genre of music we like is rather unpopular these days - which is sad. Most of my friends just follow the charts and have a new favourite band every week. It would be great to see a band like Gaslight make it really big and let these people hear what real music is!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:05 am

I quite always convince one of my friends to go with me to shows, but sometimes you just can't find one. And since i don't want to miss out on concerts i go there alone, who cares?

I enjoy myself and the music and noone notices you're alone anyway. Besides, it's a very good chance to get to know other people.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 4:29 pm

I've been going to shows alone since I was 15. I'm now 24! The mere fact growing up was that none of my friends liked the same kind of music I did. I liked pop-punk and "emo", haha. they all liked pop and rap. I like going to shows alone because I like to be up front and it's easier to do that when you're alone. If you have someone with you, they might not want to be in the front, forcing you to separate anyways. For example, my bf doesn't like being in the front, so sometimes if we go to a show together, we aren't even together the whole time and it's just dumb. There's nothing wrong with it! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Rock bus
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Now that Im 38 I find it very hard to find people who want to go to shows with me but I still dont want to miss out on going to see bands so quite often go on my own.
Doesnt really bother me when bands are on but must admit can feel a bit awkward in between sets.
The only thing I really miss is having someone to talk to about the gig after wards (be it good or bad)
But despite this if the choice is between missing a gig or going on my own - I aint going to be sitting at home Smile
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 am

aww sounds so sad haha.

but what if you were a chick i've missed out on so many shows because i had no one to go with and i didnt want to go by myself
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:38 am

Being female wouldn't play into my decision at all, really. The most important thing would be that I don't want to miss shows.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going to shows alone...?   Going to shows alone...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going to shows alone...?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next