DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bootlegging Gaslight

Go down 
+5
Jukebox Romeo
Shallow
ral
geezfools
Vibes
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

Bootlegging Gaslight Empty
PostSubject: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 pm

I really want to start some kind of bootlegging effort to record them in as many venues as possible. A few other users here have expressed interest. I don't know anything about live sound or how to go about doing this. Anyone interested leave something here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:56 pm

If they would play my town I'd record them, but, there seems to be no interest in playing Seattle, which is interesting considering he mentions it being one of his favorite places during the KEXP interview. Kind of a bummer really. One of the reasons for giving up on the collection actually..
Back to top Go down
http://18milesaminute.wordpress.com
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm

By the way, if anyone is thinking about doing this and not sure where to start, check out the ZOOM H2 or the H4 model. Both of these are amazing devices for recording solo or even better with a mic. Check them out, it's what I'll be rocking in a week or so and basically all shows I go to from now on are getting "booted"
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 pm

geezfools wrote:
If they would play my town I'd record them, but, there seems to be no interest in playing Seattle, which is interesting considering he mentions it being one of his favorite places during the KEXP interview. Kind of a bummer really. One of the reasons for giving up on the collection actually..

i heard they're not playing seattle this time around because of sasquatch in may. seems pretty lame to consider the gorge as close enough when it's 2+ hrs away in the middle of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:14 am

The Sony PCM seems to be among the best of the cheap recorders from what I've read thus far. The Sound Devices 702 seems to be a top expensive one, going for around 2 grand.

I'm not sure what the band thinks of bootlegs or how serious the people on this forum are;

But if I can make a suggestion and feel free to laugh it off the table. If we find out what the best possible recorder is for live loud music and all pitch in for it, we could collectively buy it and then send it in the mail to the whomever on this board is going to the next show and then that person would record.

Over time we would figure out where in the club gets the best sound and what settings the player should be set at, and by the end of the tour we'd all be sharing the best possible concert recordings we can

It's just an idea that popped in my head earlier today. The board currently has 280 members. Obviously getting anywhere near all of them to pitch in would seem out of the question, but a 2000 dollar recorder would require 20 people to each throw in $100, 40 to each throw in $50, 80 to each throw in $25.

I'd be willing to toss in up to 100 in good faith and I would not ask to be the collector of the cash (meaning there's no chance I'd run off with the loot). Another trust issue would be the people getting the recorder for the show keeping it or breaking it.

I'm probably getting way ahead of myself but the whole thing just seems so Rock and Roll.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 1:50 pm

idk man, i heard a quote once, i think by Billie Joe Armstrong, where he said that "Youtube can't hold memories" or something like that. as much as i'd like to hear a bootleg, i would never go to a show and record it. that seems really boring to me. shows are so much fun jumping around, shoving people around, and screaming my lungs out. i couldn't imagine just standing there holding the recorder, looking at the band as they play.

and besides, it would almost impossible to get it from one city to the next on back to back nights, and we would have to trust everyone to take care of it and not steal it/break it. $2000 is pretty steep too. and i don't really see the point in having recordings of every show the band has done ever. i'm not gonna listen to it unless i was at the show, or if they do a sick cover or something. just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
idk man, i heard a quote once, i think by Billie Joe Armstrong, where he said that "Youtube can't hold memories" or something like that. as much as i'd like to hear a bootleg, i would never go to a show and record it. that seems really boring to me. shows are so much fun jumping around, shoving people around, and screaming my lungs out. i couldn't imagine just standing there holding the recorder, looking at the band as they play.

and besides, it would almost impossible to get it from one city to the next on back to back nights, and we would have to trust everyone to take care of it and not steal it/break it. $2000 is pretty steep too. and i don't really see the point in having recordings of every show the band has done ever. i'm not gonna listen to it unless i was at the show, or if they do a sick cover or something. just my thoughts

They have very good cheaper ones for $400 and getting it from show to show day after day wouldn't be too hard. Back to back nights are usually pretty close to each other and the recorders could even meet half way to make the exchange. And I know what you mean about it being a risk, and also about you not wanting to be the actual recorder if you want to be in the show.

I however do not know what you mean about not wanting to listen to bootlegs and about whatever Billy Joe said about memories. These recorded shows are not for the people that can see the live show. They are for the people that cannot. My favourite concert experiences are from 1978, and I was born in 1982. With out bootlegging and people taking the time to remaster those bootlegs I never would have experienced those awesome shows. I have better experiences and memories jumping around in my room, eyes closed, earphones blaring to Winterland '78 and the Boss than I ever had at a Green Day show.

One day there is going to be some kid in the year 2035 that's going to get into the Gaslight Anthem because of a bootleg he heard from 2009, and that bootleg is going to take him to a show that he cannot see in 2035. So God bless the bootleggers is what I say.

P.S. the other I'd love see my goofy recorder idea happen is that one day when Gaslight makes the RnR Hall of Fame (the HoF is't a huge deal to me. i'm just saying they will), our recorder would be part of the exibit and we'd be a part of Rock and Roll history.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Shallow wrote:
I however do not know what you mean about not wanting to listen to bootlegs and about whatever Billy Joe said about memories. These recorded shows are not for the people that can see the live show. They are for the people that cannot. My favourite concert experiences are from 1978, and I was born in 1982. With out bootlegging and people taking the time to remaster those bootlegs I never would have experienced those awesome shows. I have better experiences and memories jumping around in my room, eyes closed, earphones blaring to Winterland '78 and the Boss than I ever had at a Green Day show.

One day there is going to be some kid in the year 2035 that's going to get into the Gaslight Anthem because of a bootleg he heard from 2009, and that bootleg is going to take him to a show that he cannot see in 2035. So God bless the bootleggers is what I say.

P.S. the other I'd love see my goofy recorder idea happen is that one day when Gaslight makes the RnR Hall of Fame (the HoF is't a huge deal to me. i'm just saying they will), our recorder would be part of the exibit and we'd be a part of Rock and Roll history.
Alright, well I didn't really look at it that way. It is pretty sweet listening to the Boss in his prime. That 1975-85 comp is incredible. I wasn't thinking about the future generations. I'm so selfish

I'm still questioning whether it's possible to get it from show to show. You can't mail it, 'cause it probly wouldn't get there in time, even if you express ship it. And unless the show's on a weekend, I wouldn't be able to drive it out to the next city, 'cause I have to go to school. And, looking at the tour schedule, on back to back nights, they're playing in Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis. Each of those are hundreds of miles apart. That would take a lot of time and commitment from a lot of people to get this done. And it's not like there's someone on this board who lives in every city. I just don't think it's a plausible idea to have a single recorder record every show.

And for the record, I am not a very big Green Day fan, and I have never been to a Green Day show. I was merely using a quote I heard to express the idea that people worry so much about trying to record the show that they forget to just watch the band and enjoy the night. In other words, you can record the show and put it on youtube, but you can't take all the fun you had at a show and put it on youtube.
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:58 pm

Getting to every single show, especially in the beginning stages is wishful thinking, you're right about that. As the band grows and the fanbase grows it'll be easier and easier to get it from to show. Eventually there will be fans that travel just to see them (if there aren't already) and getting them on this forum wouldn't be that hard. You'd find board members at every show eventually and many tinmes it could be passed hand to hand. Plus you'll eventually end up with some very nutty fans that will drive 2 to 3 hours out of there way to make the exchange.

The '78 Bruce tour had entire groups that went to every show in the summer. They stayed at each others houses, drove together, ate together, and sometimes were strangers before they met at the shows. Even to this day some still do it, and master copies of Boss bootlegs before the internet were each sent from fan to fan so each person could record on tape and send the record to the next guy until it ended up back in the hands of the orignal guy.

Oh, and you think 75 to 85 was good? It pales in comparison to some of the actual bottlegs of his career.

Here's one from 78 in your hometown of Cleveland (at least that's what your avatar says) at the Agora where Gaslight will be soon. Pump it loud in your ipod or whatever you use.

08/09/1978 - The Agora, Cleveland, OH

Part 1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LPXV95PC
Part 2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O2RGHPKP
Part 3 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=755Y2WQ8
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:12 pm

lol, aight i'll check it out. thanks. and i just bought tix to the Gaslight show next tuesday. maybe their show will be just as legendary as Bruce's?

and btw, it's actually not the same venue anymore. place burned down in 1984. no worries though. close enough
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:25 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
lol, aight i'll check it out. thanks. and i just bought tix to the Gaslight show next tuesday. maybe their show will be just as legendary as Bruce's?

and btw, it's actually not the same venue anymore. place burned down in 1984. no worries though. close enough

Poor Agora.

If Gaslight's show is half as good as Bruce was that night it'll be the best rock show of the decade.
Back to top Go down
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 9:30 pm

there are sites dedicated to the bosses bootlegs, basically any show he's ever done has some sort of boot, for the past few years you can find one or two or even more for each show for the entire tour, it's pretty cool actually...
Passing off a device is a little far fetched in my opinion, too easy for it to go "missing" or whatever, plus some clubs really look down on bootlegging, so could easily be confiscated and not returned.
There are devices you can buy out there for $100 or even less through eBay that should do the job decently enough, will take some getting used to, especially with the loud music, but if you practice on some local bands before hand and get it dialed in, anything is possible.
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 1:24 am

geezfools wrote:
there are sites dedicated to the bosses bootlegs, basically any show he's ever done has some sort of boot, for the past few years you can find one or two or even more for each show for the entire tour, it's pretty cool actually...
Passing off a device is a little far fetched in my opinion, too easy for it to go "missing" or whatever, plus some clubs really look down on bootlegging, so could easily be confiscated and not returned.
There are devices you can buy out there for $100 or even less through eBay that should do the job decently enough, will take some getting used to, especially with the loud music, but if you practice on some local bands before hand and get it dialed in, anything is possible.

I'm sure the actual player will never make it to the end of any tour, much less 30 years. I guess I just wanted some crazy fan story to go with the band and help build a legend.
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 am

i have and use a Zoom H2, and it's the best $150 or so that i've ever spent.

I did the recordings LIVE FAST, DIE AWESOME and SAME HEART, DIFFERENT CITY that you might have seen linked on this forum. both were done with me hand-holding the H2, with no external mic plugged in and not plugging into a soundboard.

as far as the concept of "youtubing memories" or whatever...that's a tricky subject. i would love to be able to get down in the mix of a crowd for an amped up show, but my body just doesn't hold up for it anymore. i've got 15 years of shows under my belt, but the concrete floor of a basement show under my feet is what i feel the most down there now. i've got pretty wicked bone spurs in both of my ankles, so i need to be somewehre where i can take some weight off of them these days, like a balcony where i can lean on a railing and not have to worry about holding myself up with the weight of a pit crushing down on me.

and that sort of thing is conducive to recording. it puts me in a position to get my recorder in a good spot to get a decent sound, and i can still sing my heart out(you even hear me in a couple of places on my recordings, hah) and lose my voice and get just as into the tunes as the dude or chick down in the pit.

it's not about the weight of the crowd on your back; it's the weight of the music on your heart. maybe that's me just getting older or whatever, but getting perspective on things is sometimes hard to do when you're in the middle of something. maybe you can get all of the depth but never all of the breadth of it.

either way, rock on.

Last edited by TonyRockyHorror on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dclivetracks.com
geezfools
A Contender
A Contender
geezfools

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 am

TonyRockyHorror wrote:

it's not about the weight of the crown on your back; it's the weight of the music on your heart. maybe that's me just getting older or whatever, but getting perspective on things is sometimes hard to do when you're in the middle of something. maybe you can get all of the depth but never all of the breadth of it.

exactly how I feel. I've been going to shows since at least 97 or 98, not 15 years, but been in enough pits, at the front of the crowd enough to let younger kids/newer fans enjoy their time up there. Plus it seems shows are all about moshing these days and it bums me the fuck out. What happened to a quality circle pit, not that gaslight is really circle pit material, but just shows in general, ugh, now you got me started....

My H4 should be here anyday now, cannot wait!
Back to top Go down
THULL

PostSubject: Columbus   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm thinking of taping the show tonight. Where does the band stand on taping?
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 1:47 pm

They're most likely open to it as long as you don't make a profit off of their recording.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Detroit
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Plug into the soundboard.Rock out. Unplug. It's that easy.

Dan
Back to top Go down
mrblue07

PostSubject: Recording shows   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 12:01 pm

Don't know if anyone posted about this but, why not record as many shows near where you live and post them on Archive.org? you need to get permission from the band before putting anything up but TGA might be cool with it.
(For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's intended to be a place for historical purposes. and, of course, it can't be used for profit.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 3:16 pm

mrblue07 wrote:
why not record as many shows near where you live

I'm not sure how many of us actually have recording equipment good enough to make half decent bootlegs.
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
mrblue07 wrote:
why not record as many shows near where you live

I'm not sure how many of us actually have recording equipment good enough to make half decent bootlegs.

You can get the same recorder i use for all of my recordings for just over $100 now.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm

how about everyone chip in so we can save up enough money and pay Tony to travel around with TGA full-time and record every show they play from here on out? good deal?
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
how about everyone chip in so we can save up enough money and pay Tony to travel around with TGA full-time and record every show they play from here on out? good deal?

That works too.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 2:42 am

cause if im paying for anyone to go to a tga show, its me!
Back to top Go down
TonyRockyHorror
A Contender
A Contender
TonyRockyHorror

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

i've thought very seriously about following a band and documenting a tour, unofficially, a few times. too many responsibilities for it now, but there was a time...

i'm seeing Gaslight on May 7, in Towson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bootlegging Gaslight   Bootlegging Gaslight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bootlegging Gaslight
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next