DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

kerrang

Go down 
+3
Daire
steady now steady now
ktp
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 am

heard there's an interview with Brian about the new album. haven't got the magazine myself (bit strapped for cash) but thought y'all would like to know! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks ktp!

I have now found this pic on the Kerrang webpage for the current issue:

kerrang 1304_a244x155

It looks like the photo was taken at the Who tribute.

On the cover it says 'The Return of the Gaslight Anthem':

kerrang 1304_244x325

I'll pick up a copy later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Had a quick flick through it at the shop today, one quote that stood for me was

Brian Fallon wrote:

The record will sound more like the Gaslight Anthem and less like the Gaslight Anthem's record collection

Hopefully there'll be less off the constant bullshit comparisions in the media this time round.
Back to top Go down
micwatson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm

it'd be awesom if someone could post the interview..

thanks!

-michael
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Kerrang!, issue 1304, 20 March 2010

THE GASLIGHT Anthem are currently working on American Slang, the follow-up to 2008’s The ‘59 Sound — and Kerrang! have been given an exclusive sneak preview!

The New Jersey rockers - vocalist/guitarist Brian Fallon, guitarist Alex Rosamilia, bassist Alex Levine and drummer Benny Horowitz - invited K! to New York’s Magic Shop recording studios to listen to three completed songs: Bring It On, The Queen Of Lower Chelsea and the album’s title-track.

Fans will be surprised to hear that The Gaslight Anthem have moved away from the small town American rock ‘n’ roll sound that characterised their 2008 breakthrough album, and have instead incorporated arena-sized riffs into stomping verses and huge, confident choruses, which look set to catapult the foursome to the next level.

Here, frontman Brian gives us an in-depth look into what shaped their new record and why American Slang is their most personal album yet.

WHEN DID YOU START WRITING AMERICAN SLANG?

“We attempted to write over the summer of 2009 on tour but I had a tough time because nothing was coming out. From about June to November, I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. I was pretty stuck. I wasn’t clear enough about what I wanted next and how we were going to move on. I guess I had writer’s block.”

WHEN DID YOU GET OVER THAT HURDLE?

“I had a breakthrough the day after Thanksgiving. I wrote Bring It On and realised what the album was going to be like. We wrote the whole thing through December and January.”

HOW HAVE THE BAND PROGRESSED SINCE THE ‘59 SOUND?

“On the last record, we had a lot of ‘50s influences and anything else would get pushed out. But on this record, we’ve made an effort not to deliberately bring in our influences or push them to the front. I don’t want to put out the same thing we did before. So this time, the album is gonna sound more like The Gaslight Anthem and less like the The Gaslight Anthem’s record collections!”

WAS MAKING THAT STEP FORWARD SOMETHING THAT CAME NATURALLY?

“A lot of the really fast punk stuff we used to do just wasn’t fitting in any more. At first, we just banged out stuff as fast and as energetic as we could but we realised the songs really called for good players. We didn’t do that by studio magic, we practised it. We’d do it for six hours a day at rehearsal and then we’d go home and do it on our own, too. We had to put the work in to make sure it was right.”

WHAT WAS THE CATALYST?

“I’ve been getting into a lot of early Eric Clapton stuff - like The Bluesbreakers and Derek And The Dominos - and the thing with Clapton was that he was very interested in playing properly. It can’t be off-time, it can’t be too ragged, it’s got to be right. That’s the sort of idea I had for the new album. We also watched AC/DC’s Live At Donington DVD and that was pretty inspirational too, in terms of technique. You could see how good they were as players.”

WHAT DOES AMERICAN SLANG MEAN TO YOU?

“American Slang is what describes our lives and lifestyle. People present you with the American Dream when you’re little; you can do anything because America is the land of opportunity. What actually happens is that a huge proportion of people don’t finish school, they end up being what their father was or they end up working at a job they don’t necessarily like. I think only about one per cent of people get to really live the American Dream and become the President or the Mayor or Leonardo DiCaprio.”

WHAT HOPE IS THERE FOR THE 99 PER CENT, THEN?

“It’s about people that aren’t living the American Dream but are living their lives for what they are. American Slang is about thinking, ‘OK, I’m not what I thought I was going to be, but I’m here and how can I make the best of it?’. That’s what American Slang is. You can’t just give up and be miserable your whole life. There’s only a certain group of people who understand that, like construction workers for example. That’s what I would be if the band hadn’t taken off.”

WITH THE CHANGE IN MUSICAL DIRECTION, DOES THIS MEAN YOUR APPROACH TO STORYTELLING HAS CHANGED TOO?

“It’s easy to hide behind imagery and use other bits of lyrics because it’s time-tested, even though it was honest and it was true. But now it’s time to say it in [my] own words. What would I say if I was writing letters, what slang words would use, how do talk? That led me to tackle what I’ve been dealing with in the background in my life for years but never really talked about because I didn’t want to deal with it or put it out in public. The old records were all about ‘we’ and ‘us’, but this time, it’s an extremely personal album. It’s a record about a boy trying to grow up and figure out what it is to be a man.”

WHEN THE ‘59 SOUND WAS FIRST RELEASED, YOU STATED THAT YOU WERE SIMPLY HAPPY TO BE IN A BAND AND TOUR FULL TIME. NOW YOU’VE ENJOYED INTERNATIONAL SUCCESS, WHAT ARE YOUR AMBITIONS NOW?

“I want to break the mould of what people expect a big rock ‘n’ roll band to be. I really want to make sure every album we do is worth hearing and to be that band that never lost it. And if we do lose it, I hope we realise and shut it down before we make a record like that last Clash record [1985’s Cut The Crap]! I don’t want to become a joke, like when we’re 70 and just goofing around and I can’t hit the notes anymore! Nobody wants that.”

[made by OCR]

now go and buy your copy of Kerrang!

Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

The whole arena-rock thing scares me. Although a lot of times before record releases, the differences are hyped more than they are really there. But I just always have an uneasy feeling for new albums, along with great excitement.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 12:23 am

simo wrote:
The whole arena-rock thing scares me. Although a lot of times before record releases, the differences are hyped more than they are really there. But I just always have an uneasy feeling for new albums, along with great excitement.

I personally like a lot of arena-rock. (See Springsteen) I think the problem a lot of people have with arena rock is its often associated with sellout pop-stuff. As long as Gaslight keeps their head on straight and are really have made a great album, it could be sceamo hip-hop and I'm sure it'd still be awesome.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 2:13 am

"the return of the gaslight anthem"
oh they're so dramatic! its been less than two years since their last album was released, during which time they've been touring all over...it's not like they've been under the radar.

i didnt find anything particularly new from the interview, although it does make me excited to hear the new stuff when he says its "an extremely personal album."

also, i like the idea behind "american slang" and how he talks about the american dream and the difference between that and the reality, the american slang, and kind of coming to terms with it and not being miserable your whole life.
Back to top Go down
micwatson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 6:58 am

thanks buddy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

kerrang Empty
PostSubject: Re: kerrang   kerrang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down