DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian's Explanation Master List

Go down 
+32
mja271
shiftynj
sweetmorphine
loazis
cdala
DianaAntonia
A_Regular
NYYFAN523
Pel.71
media
enola
JJW319
Topher
the bar 1963
brianisbae
simo
QueenOfTheBronx
number the fat cats know
dmac
lynchyeatspizza
Midnight Rambler
thecosmickid
steady now steady now
landan101
Stevearm
ktp
steph
Stalls_Standing
hostutca
Jukebox Romeo
rhg5010
Vibes
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

Brian's Explanation Master List Empty
PostSubject: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 12:56 am

Even though Brian says he wants fans to interpret the songs for themselves, at shows he tends to explain a bit about one or two. I'll post what I know/what I've heard and you fill anything in that you've heard.

Sink or Swim

Wooderson The "alright, alright" is an ode to Dazed and Confused and guy Brian used to work construction with who used to say that all the time.

1930 I think I've read around here that 1930 is about Brian's grandmother passing away. It was originally written and recorded as a demo for Brian's previous band, This Charming Man. The song was originally called "She Coulda Raised The Titanic."

The Navesink Banks Navesink is about Jersey, mainly and about a river down the road from Asbury Park

I'da Called You Woody, Joe Woody, Joe is about Brian's trip into a record store one day where the clerk steered him away from whatever the trendy music was at the time, the guy bought him The Clash's self-titled album from 1979 which in his words, "changed my life."

Angry Johnny and The Radio Brian told me last year that a lot of his songs were written for friends of his and this was one of them. It was inspired also by a roadtrip to Baltimore.

Drive Drive was the first song that Brian wrote for Gaslight.

We're Getting a Divorce, You Keep The Diner Brian was talking about Divorce and he explained that when you are dating someone in Jersey it's common for the two of you and your friends to all meet at a specific diner and it almost become part of the relationship. He said one of the hardest parts of breaking up is deciding who gets to keep going to the diner because you want to keep contact with this other person at the minimum; almost like a child in a divorce.

SeƱor And The Queen

Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts This song was written about a photograph of Brian and a few friends singing around a microphone at an early band performance at Asbury Lanes. Everyone in the picture was wearing blue jeans and white t-shirts which spurred Brian to write a song about it. The song is very much about Jersey, the attitudes and what Brian wants to be able to do as a teen and in life (sing with his heroes and buy someone a house on Asbury Park's Cookman Ave.)

The '59 Sound

Great Expectations This was the second song written for the record. It was written specifically as the first track, "always with Great Expectations," as the where Brian's mind was at the time of writing.

The '59 Sound This was the first song written for the album. It's about 10 different friends of Brian's but specifically about one who died right near where he was playing a show when he was about 17. The song was written with the idea in mind that it would incorporate every element of the album in one song.

Old White Lincoln This song is about a girl who Brian used to race up and down the Jersey Parkway where he would meet her for coffee after school sometimes, later in the afternoon. She drove an old white lincoln with a big V-8 engine and would smoke him in his Toyota Corolla.

High Lonesome High Lonesome took a Counting Crows' line and ran with it, playing on the idea that we've all wished at one point or another that we were someone else.

Miles Davis & The Cool This song was written about Brian trying to woo a girl with some Miles Davis. He'd throw rocks at her window to try to wake her up, but not her big bad bruiser of a dad

Here's Looking At You, Kid Here's Looking At You, Kid was written about the different girls throughout Brian's life. Most specifically, Anna, at the end of the song, was a girl that Brian went to the Stone Pony with one night to a punkrock show. She was wild and dangerous, Brian said, and Brian thought he was cool being with the crazy girl. She wound up ditching him that night for another guy leaving him high and dry. She tried to get back together with him and they may have for a short time before another girl grabbed him away from "Anna." The title is a line from the famous movie Casablanca.

Last edited by Vibes on Sun May 31, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 4:00 am

I like this. Also, Brian has said that The Navesink Banks was "about stealing wallets" and "stealing from pirates"

This is off topic but does anyone know Ted Leo's song The Angels' Share? I never knew what it was from, but I like how Ted introduced it once at a show. "This song is about that little bit of whiskey that evaporates in the barrel. And that's the angels' share."
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 5:10 am

Depends how much detail you want; if you want to add more to the 'Woody' explanation, I've heard him say he was 'looking for Rancid or something' and that it was the record store owner and another woman at the counter who both put up $6 (I think thats the right amount) to get the Clash record.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 9:41 am

6 bucks each. 12 bucks total. and though he usually says he was looking for a Rancid album, he's said it might've been The Offspring or Op Ivy
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:11 pm

Yeah, that's what it was. I'll add it in there.
Back to top Go down
hostutca
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:11 pm

When they were on tour with The Draft I believe, that or The Loved Ones Brian was talking about We're getting a divorce, You keep the diner and he explained that when you are dating someone in Jersey it's common for the two of you and your friends to all meet at a specific diner and it almost become part of the relationship. He said one of the hardest parts of breaking up is deciding who gets to keep going to the diner because you want to keep contact with this other person at the minimum; almost like a child in a divorce.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/cnotemu

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Thats an interesting one for Divorce, something people not from New Jersey would not know about, I shouldn't think.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 8:29 pm

That's awesome hostutca, thanks. I'll add it to the list.
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:29 pm

I heard them say (at a show) that it was meant to be "We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Dinner" but the guy who typed it up was drunk!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Stalls_Standing wrote:
I heard them say (at a show) that it was meant to be "We're Getting A Divorce, You Keep The Dinner" but the guy who typed it up was drunk!

thats funny...maybe that was just one of those stories brian likes to tell at shows...
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 5:08 am

love this thread its pretty cool! keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Area 4 festival saw Brian saying some weird things... not really explaining the songs but:
before Casanova, Baby
-"And in that girl's trunk, she had a fish the size of Alaska. And it was a magical fish. And it would talk about tarot cards and reading the future. And I'm not sure what she saw in those things, but I'm sure she had blue eyes"

before Say I Won't (Recognize)
-"And then she tried to change the tire when we got a flat. And she did it with a corkscrew and a bottle-opener. And she turned tire air into wine. She was trying to be like Jesus, didn't get it right, but whatever we had wine at the end of the day."

also in the middle of Say I Won't, before the "do you like good music?" song, he says something like "Yeah but I have to ask her dad if I can take her out, I don't have any money" an obvious derivation from Springsteen's Rosalita.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 pm

yeah, he was high
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
yeah, he was high

I had my suspicions when listening to the bootleg! That's where my signature (see below) was taken from!
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:15 am

wait who was high?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:58 am

Brian, we think.
Back to top Go down
landan101
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 10:22 pm

ha brian fallon does not seem like the kind of guy to smoke weed before going on stage at least
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 am

haha ok I've seen the Area 4 festival video now, and he doesn't look high or anything, he's known to tell crazy stories, either way it was hilarious
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm

im going to assume you guys are joking as its well documented that he doesnt even really drink, let alone smoke weed or anything else
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm

he was high on life! duh!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:05 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
he was high on life! duh!

something a lot of people seem to forget is actually possible
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 am

steph wrote:
im going to assume you guys are joking as its well documented that he doesnt even really drink, let alone smoke weed or anything else

He smokes, not weed but he smokes ordinary cigarettes.
Back to top Go down
Midnight Rambler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Midnight Rambler

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 10:54 am

Brian explains here how Backseats isn't about making out in the back of cars, but about how, as a kid, you squirm around in backseats to try and feel comfortable and how that is representative of what you experience when you begin to grow up.

Check the video out, he explains it much better and an awesome performance too.

(First post Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:14 am

Gday Midnight, hows it going? Thanks for the link, it's interesting! BTW, introduce yourself in the Intro section, so we can get to know you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:31 am

don't know how I missed this thread before; great work
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian's Explanation Master List   Brian's Explanation Master List Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian's Explanation Master List
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next