DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Big Fan From Australia

Go down 
+2
Jukebox Romeo
andy.mac
6 posters
AuthorMessage
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

Big Fan From Australia Empty
PostSubject: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 5:21 am

Hey,

I've posted a couple of times but I've never actually introduced myself. So, rather than being rude, I thought I'd quickly pop in here and say hello and tell you a little bit about myself, and as I plan to be hanging around I thought it would be the best idea.

So, hello, my name is Andy, I'm 21, and according to the title of this thread I'm from Australia (which is true by the way). I'm at uni/college (depending where you're reading from), studying Economics and Political Science. Once I graduate (this time next year), I'm probably gonna do a bit of traveling. Definitely gonna hit up the Americas, Europe and Asia (so pretty much the whole world, haha). Then come back and work for a department of the Australian Government called AusAid. They work in areas like the Pacific Islands and South East Asia, helping developing nations with sustainability and economic growth. Might sound boring, but to me it's important to be useful.

Apart from music and going to shows I like pretty much the usual stuff. Books (especially autobiography's/biographys on influential/interesting people (I also recommend Shantaram to anybody who hasn't read it/likes to read. It's loosely autobiographical but an awesome book)), movies, hanging out with my friends etc.

I also have an unheathly obbession with scuba diving and marine life.

Other bands I like include Social D, The Clash, Against Me!, there's a hell of a lot more but you get the gist.

Haven't seen the Anthem live yet, but will definitely catch them next time they're around our shores.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Hey man, welcome. I'm going to college next year, and I'm considering Econ as a major, and Political Science/Sociology is up there too. Also, the 3 bands you listed are in my top 10 of all time, huge fans of all of them.

Hope you get to see TGA live soon, that was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I just saw The Bouncing Souls and The Loved Ones at the same show in a tiny club, and I've seen Streetlight Manifesto 5 times live, but the TGA show still stands above almost any show I've been to.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 3:29 pm

The Clash, Social D and AM! are also on my top 10! you listen to some fine music
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 4:10 pm

are you going to any of the tom gabel's solo shows?

anyways welcome
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:10 am

JoshRaymond wrote:
are you going to any of the tom gabel's solo shows?

anyways welcome

Thanks man.

Nope, I'm not a huge fan of his solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:16 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Hey man, welcome. I'm going to college next year, and I'm considering Econ as a major, and Political Science/Sociology is up there too. Also, the 3 bands you listed are in my top 10 of all time, huge fans of all of them.

Hope you get to see TGA live soon, that was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and I just saw The Bouncing Souls and The Loved Ones at the same show in a tiny club, and I've seen Streetlight Manifesto 5 times live, but the TGA show still stands above almost any show I've been to.

Hey dude, looks like you've got some good ideas about what you want to study.

The thing with economics is that it really depends on who's teaching it. Some people just want to look at it from a mathematical point of view - straight textbook style- while others want to apply it to real world situations and make it seem useful which is definitely the better way.

I hope I get to see em live soon too. What I would really like is to see them live with Social D in Germany. Haha that would be seriously killer.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:19 am

e7c wrote:
The Clash, Social D and AM! are also on my top 10! you listen to some fine music

Thanks man. I do kinda pride myself on listening to quality music, haha.

When I'm walking down the street with my headphones in and I see another person with headphones in, I think to myself, are they having the same sort of time I'm having?
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:57 pm

i agree his solo stuff isnt that great but it would still be a fun time
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 8:52 pm

evil_romantic wrote:
Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Hey dude, looks like you've got some good ideas about what you want to study.

The thing with economics is that it really depends on who's teaching it. Some people just want to look at it from a mathematical point of view - straight textbook style- while others want to apply it to real world situations and make it seem useful which is definitely the better way.

I hope I get to see em live soon too. What I would really like is to see them live with Social D in Germany. Haha that would be seriously killer.

You get that in any subject I reckon. Or I have at least found the same studying human geography or ay least with in the political stuff.

Anyway welcome.

Why do you Australian insist on coming here when you have the most awesome country to see visually Razz I found it to be amazing. Melbourne is the tits. Any Australian bands we need to here. I have only heard Gand Fatal and the Nation Blue. Both amazing bands though.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 10:11 pm

The only aussie band I know is The Living End... I saw them play a few years back in London with Less Than Jake and The Dropkick Murphys and they easily stole the show!
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 10:13 pm

i like me some living end...
youve all heard a death in the family right? the band that opened for gaslight on this tour, at least the west coast part?
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 9:14 pm

e7c wrote:
The only aussie band I know is The Living End... I saw them play a few years back in London with Less Than Jake and The Dropkick Murphys and they easily stole the show!

I was at that show and nearly broke my neck Rolling Eyes But I agree they played a sweet sweet set Living End that is.

Death in the family are pretty swish shall be checking them out.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 10:31 pm

really? you were at the show too... do you remember the guy in the kilt that went crowd surfing? that was me!
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 12:37 am

Melbourne and visually beautiful? I don't know about that. I'm originally from Melbourne and I love the place but it's not the nicest place to look at. It's definitely the scene and the people that make the city what it is.

The Living End are good, I saw em play in the snow on NYE 08/09 and it was awesome.

But I haven't actually heard of ANY of the other bands that were mentioned. I'll be sticking to my English and American bands for punk rock for now.

We've got some decent bands like Birds of Tokyo, The Mess Hall and Mammal (these guys are like the Australian RATM) but they're not punk, they're more pop/pub rock.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:19 am

I meant over parts of the landscape like the Kakadu national park and other more natural places. Melbourne is just the tits I loved a lot of other things about the place the visual aspect was not particularly one of them.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 5:35 am

kieran wrote:
I meant over parts of the landscape like the Kakadu national park and other more natural places. Melbourne is just the tits I loved a lot of other things about the place the visual aspect was not particularly one of them.

Yup, glad you liked it. The more I think about the more bummed out I get that I moved away. Might head back in a few years. I'll have to see how things go.

Oh and if you're after visually beautiful check out New Zealand. I was born there and I've got the best memories of family holidays, school trips and stuff.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iP24V1vs5CM/SXUxInJDVfI/AAAAAAAAG0U/Tmmp-1YgZxo/s400/new-zealand-tours.jpg

http://www.breakaway.co.nz/index02.jpg

Then again, I'm sure you know how to use Google.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 9:58 am

are you from the north or south?
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:20 am

South Island, Christchurch to be exact.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:45 am

cool, a friend of mine is from the south island, but I can not remember where and unfortunately I have not seen him in 4 years
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 7:27 pm

e7c wrote:
cool, a friend of mine is from the south island, but I can not remember where and unfortunately I have not seen him in 4 years

ok cool man, yeah its a good place to grow up and what not, fricken cold though, i remember skateboarding to school and we used to have to be so careful because if we slipped on the ice we'd end up with a nasty, bloody gravel rash accompanied by frost bite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Fan From Australia   Big Fan From Australia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Big Fan From Australia
Page 1 of 1