DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchRegisterLog in

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
ashleybb
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
ashleybb

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I kind of have a weird discovery story, and I'm a recent fan.

I work for a media company, and one of our clients does PR for a festival TGA played last summer. I was reading about this band "The Gaslight Anthem" all the time at work. Yes, I was getting paid to read about TGA . Lucky me! I was intrigued because of that, and decided to give them a listen. I immediately fell in love with their music. That's my story. Short and sweet.
Back to top Go down
\m/aria
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
\m/aria

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 4:50 pm

I saw the video for 59 sound in 2009 on an austrian music channel (gotv) and at first I thought: gaaaah, the singer's voice reminds me so much of someone but I can't say of whom...
the second time I saw the video I thought the same and it really made me crazy and after seeing it the third time I was like: LIGHTBULB!!!
brian's voice reminded me so much of the young springsteen and since I have been a fan of Bruce since my 17th birthday and the love for his music was the reason I bought my first guitar I thought I should give TGA a chance and I soon started listening to the 59 sound record 24/7...
at that time I was having a really shitty time and man, the album was a life saver back then and still is!

I wrote a thank-you-mail to the channel for playing the video and introducing me to their music and I got a nice answer! ^^

it may sound cheesy, but to heck it with it:
when I listen to TGA it feels like I'm listening to my four big brothers who are telling me about life and its ups and downs and how to deal with them...
stay hungry, stay free and do the best you can!

so let's meet some friends, grab a couple of beers, turn up that 59 sound, sing our hearts out and celebrate life!!
Back to top Go down
Johnxazn
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 10:41 pm

I accidentally went to a show of theirs in 2007. Totally thought it was a different band playing, stayed and watched the bands playing because there was maybe 7 kids there including myself. I really enjoyed the gaslight anthem's set and bought sink or swim 12" and the demo cd-r. I also ended up talking to Brian for awhile, and I bought him some pizza. Coolest/nicest dude ever. They have been one of my favorite bands since then.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Johnxazn wrote:
I accidentally went to a show of theirs in 2007.

/winning

no way anyone can top that. That's so cool man!
Back to top Go down
kkent16
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kkent16

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 7:38 pm

A friend of mine posted "American Slang" on my Facebook and I immediately fell in love.
Back to top Go down
kateoflowerchelsea
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kateoflowerchelsea

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm

My late husband was a huge fan and got me into them.We invited a group of the guys over for a barbeque and 'Sink or Swim' came on Lloyd's iPod and I was fascinated by Brian's voice.Loved the band ever since.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/lilmiss_merrick
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I am one of those fans who discovered TGA via Bruce Springsteen.

I had subscribed to a Springsteen news alert service and almost every alert I got was about TGA.

So, last summer, I figured I had to check this band out and was hooked after hearing The 59 Sound CD.

Now I am counting down the days till they come back to the USA to do some shows

Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
joshyboytyler
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
joshyboytyler

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 8:25 pm

Does anyone know where to get a Ted Weber World Famous Loudspeaker t-shirt like Brian wears? So cool but I can't find them anywhere unless u get the speakers
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 8:21 pm

2 Years ago I refused to listen to music that wasn't from certain types of bands who were prominant in Seatle in the early 90's and had all now died of drug oversodes and suicides. I was channel flicking through the music channels when The '59 Sound came up on Kerrang. I was amazed.
Back to top Go down
03aarm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
03aarm

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 10:40 pm

I discovered them by chance after seeing the Glastonbury 2009 highlights when Bruce got on stage with them. Listened to 59' Sound and loved it so I decided to check them out. Bought myself sink or swim and 59' sound records and fell in love with the band. I dont think a day goes by where I dont listen to one of the bands songs. Adore all the records they've put out so far especially 59' Sound, cant wait for the next one !!
Back to top Go down
RememberLikeWeWereAlive
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:27 am

My friend Mike forced me to listen to the '59 Sound and I loved it! Now I'm pretty sure I'm an even bigger fan than he is, and that's saying something Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 am

I can't find the thread on hearing TGA in weird places, so I thought this was the best place to post.

On Friday Stay Lucky was played over our school PA (to 1800 students), hopefully Gaslight gained a fan or two in the process Very Happy
Back to top Go down
I am Incinerator
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:19 pm

I found out about The Gaslight Anthem from a want ad for band members on a local music website. I never heard them, and I decided to check them out for more or less because the name of the album The 59 Sound. I ended up watching a few videos and some live performanes on youtube and something rang true about it. Granted it's been a while since I've taken notice of a band that fits within the punk/pop punk style of music, but to me, they level of lyrical story-telling and imagery is better than most of the pop punk/punk bands that I was into some years back.
Back to top Go down
stayFree
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stayFree

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 pm

heard about the band and thought what a weird name, then one night on kerrang great expectations video came on and was hooked instantly. Cool
Back to top Go down
Phil Rockabill
A Contender
A Contender
Phil Rockabill

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 am

In 2008. I was at HMV and saw the The '59 sound CD. At first, i really liked the title because i'm also into rockabilly music so i was curious to listen to this band that i never heard before.

I liked what i heard, but didn't buy it at that moment. I think i went back maybe 6 months later after i saw someone wearing a gaslight t-shirt!! lol I was like, hey i know that name! Got home, gave it a listen on youtube ect and the next day i was buying the record. Then american slang came out and i must admit it's my favorite TGA record. When i bought american slang, i bought sink or swim at the same time.

So many good bands, so little time.

You know when someone's talking to you about a new band that he/she really likes (or post it on your fb profile) but you just don't have the time to give it a listen?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Phil Rockabill wrote:

So many good bands, so little time.

You know when someone's talking to you about a new band that he/she really likes (or post it on your fb profile) but you just don't have the time to give it a listen?

So true. I think it's best to just discover bands on your own, otherwise you end up sifting through so much stuff that people recomend that is soooo far away from your taste in music. I've had people reccomend 3 Doors Down because I "like rock music". The only problem is I like *good* rock music.
Back to top Go down
Pel.71
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Pel.71

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 4:44 pm

i heard the 59 sound on the radio on my way home from work on my discman cd/ radio player (take the mickey i dont care ipods are overrated) and was blown away , i bought all the bands albums the next day and listened in amazement . Im a massive springsteen fan and normally not impressed with much else but the gaslight anthem just... well blew me away . The level of storytelling is only matched by the boss in my opinion. i amazingly got to meet brian after a concert in newcastle last year , what an amazing and down to earth boke .
Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:16 pm

I was in Richmond, playing a show at the Canal Club and saw a flyer for an American Steel and Gaslight Anthem show the following weekend. I was a huge fan of American Steel, so I was considering driving back to Richmond to see them (it's a 5 hour drive), but had never heard of The Gaslight Anthem, so I didn't go.

A few months later, somebody on a Drive By Truckers message board said something about how TGA should open for DBT sometime, so I went and got 'The '59 Sound' and I have kicked myself right square in the ass ever since for not going to that show.
Back to top Go down
mirrorenigma
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mirrorenigma

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 4:17 am

I was looking at a list of bands similar to Alkaline Trio on some music website, and they recommended me 'A Riot Before' (which i loved) and I decided to check out any other band similar to them, and Gaslight Anthem came on, I think I heard the song "American Slang" first though and fell in love ever since....

So thank you Alkaline Trio via The Riot Before lol. :-) On a separate note, i don't think all 3 bands are really that the same..... lol.
Back to top Go down
Blue_Collar_Man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue_Collar_Man

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:19 am

Fresh & green here from Belgium.
I kinda found out 'bout the band two and a half years ago. Sold and fell in love with their records instantly.
Been a Bruce fan for a long long time, since I was 12.
I'm 35 now... Few milestones passed my life: Bruce, Otis Redding, The Ramones, The Clash, The Cure and GTA.
Which is in my opinion a huge compliment to the guys who are living their dream, haha.

Back to top Go down
spgilbert
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 am

Blue_Collar_Man wrote:
Fresh & green here from Belgium.
I kinda found out 'bout the band two and a half years ago. Sold and fell in love with their records instantly.
Been a Bruce fan for a long long time, since I was 12.
I'm 35 now... Few milestones passed my life: Bruce, Otis Redding, The Ramones, The Clash, The Cure and GTA.
Which is in my opinion a huge compliment to the guys who are living their dream, haha.

hey man...if you like those bands, you should check out Lucero if you haven't heard them yet. here's a link to one of their songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6d8LuOojw
Back to top Go down
Blue_Collar_Man
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Blue_Collar_Man

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Hey man, thanks a lot!
They are indeed a true love of mine too !
She's just that kind of girl is my fav!
Back to top Go down
thealarmist
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 2:59 pm

First time poster, long time lurcher here.

First encountered TGA when on tour in late 2008 and it seemed like every support act was playing their songs (and had the 59 sound as the between band music).

Got home and decided to check them out and so glad I did. Utterly hooked ever since.

Favourite track: 1930

Holding out on seeing a solo Brian fallon show in Scotland, but I'm sure the revival date will suffice.
Back to top Go down
33rpm
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
33rpm

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 9:41 am

My cousin introduced me to them. This was way before American Slang and a little after '59 Sound was released. It feels a lot longer.
Anyway, I've been thanking him ever since! I think I'm a bigger fan than he is. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://kbullwinkle.tumblr.com/
Tobbo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 am

I stumbled upon the video to 59'sound and when I first listened to it I knew that I had to hear more of that Band. I'm glad I did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?   How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem? - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you discover the Gaslight Anthem?
Page 9 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DimeStoreSaints.com :: The Gaslight Anthem :: Discussion About The Band-
Jump to: