DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!

Go down 
+13
kjakm
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Keele
mja271
stephendgaf
StateOfMind
bt211
Anya_TGA
thebends
riversedge
Ryan
cowgirlwiththeblues
steady now steady now
17 posters

your favorite tracks from 'Painkillers'
1. A Wonderful Life
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap9%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 9% [ 19 ]
2. Painkillers
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap8%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 8% [ 18 ]
3. Among Other Foolish Things
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap12%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 12% [ 26 ]
4. Smoke
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap6%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 6% [ 12 ]
5. Steve McQueen
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap4%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 4% [ 8 ]
6. Nobody Wins
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap9%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 9% [ 19 ]
7. Rosemary
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap15%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 15% [ 33 ]
8. Red Lights
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap7%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 7% [ 15 ]
9. Long Drives
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap5%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 5% [ 11 ]
10. Honey Magnolia
 9% [ 19 ]
11. Mojo Hand
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap6%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 6% [ 12 ]
12. Open All Night
Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_lcap10%Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Vote_rcap
 10% [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 215

AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Empty
PostSubject: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 3:13 pm

As always when a new album comes out, we have a favourite tracks poll.

On this occassion, results may be skewed by the fact that five tracks were released early and less familiar tracks may hence score higher due to their novelty. There is also the issue of the reworked MatZ tracks.

Please note, you can make multiple choices, so you don't have to pick just the one.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Pretty proud of myself there for narrowing it down to 7!
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 pm

I couldn't get past 8...
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Not much love for Smoke haha
Back to top Go down
thebends
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Really loved the demos for smoke,Red lights and long drives. When I saw those 3 were on the album I was very happy, until I heard the final versions. Having a hard time enjoying these. Hopefully they will grow on me.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 8:01 pm

that was a real tough decision
Back to top Go down
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 pm

What stands out to me is this record as a cohesive piece of music. I love how all the songs go together and how one flows into the next. I'd be happy if they played the entire record live start to end.
The new version of Long Drives took a while to grow on me back in January but now I really like it and don't even think how the song sounded for Molly and the Zombies.
Back to top Go down
StateOfMind
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Don't understand why no one is crazy for mojo? It's so feel good, catchy and fun!
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:38 pm

StateOfMind wrote:
Don't understand why no one is crazy for mojo? It's so feel good, catchy and fun!

I'm on the Mojo bandwagon. Best song on the album.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 10:40 pm

Personal favorites are Among Other Foolish Things, Rosemary, Mojo Hand, and Open All Night. Not crazy with how the MATZ songs came out, I like this take of Red Lights the most out of the 3. Smoke isn't perfect but the essence of the song is still generally the same and I absolutely love the lyrics so it's all good. Don't like the new Long Drives and I can't see that changing. Otherwise I generally really like everything on the record with the aforementioned tracks being my standouts. Can't wait to hear all these B Sides. Georgia sounded great in Boston
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 am

I limited myself to 5. A Wonderful Life, Among Foolish Things, Nobody Wins Rosemary, and Honey Magnolia. There are obviously a lot of great songs on this record (and maybe a few more to come with b-sides), and maybe that will change a bit still.

Has anyone heard Digging In The Dirt and the new version of The Blues Mary?
Back to top Go down
NervousFeetHeartofStone
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 3:14 am

I don't get the disdain for the new "Smoke". Seems folks are really wed to the MatZ versions, which is cool. But the reworkings definitely have their own merit. "Smoke" might be my favourite from the whole album. Incredible mix, especially the vocals. Absolutely gorgeous, so full and one of my favourites of anything Brian has recorded, vocally. Sounds rough and raw and real, like how all of American Slang was mixed. If anything, I think "Red Lights" suffers most. It's grown on me, but the lower key and no lead bits (save for the mundane slide guitar solo) really detract from its energy and memorability. Lyrically, I think the MatZ songs are the most cohesive, since they were written at a very different time in Brian's life. Just have to get used to a different, more obvious writing style that still has the same classic character.

I'd be interested to see a poll of people's least favourite songs on the record, and see why! Good to get different perspective.
Back to top Go down
kjakm
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 am

NervousFeetHeartofStone wrote:
I don't get the disdain for the new "Smoke".

Me neither. I love the MATZ stuff but I thought this version of Smoke was amazing. Just really really great production. Red Lights is good but I don't think as good as the MATZ version. As for Long Drives I think we need to just look at those as different songs. Long Drives Part 2. So we have two good songs to listen to and I believe the Painkillers version is a good song once you get over the change and can hear it as a new song.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:38 pm

stephendgaf wrote:
StateOfMind wrote:

I'm on the Mojo bandwagon. Best song on the album.

Same. I definitely enjoy that one a lot!

NervousFeetHeartofStone wrote:
I don't get the disdain for the new "Smoke". Seems folks are really wed to the MatZ versions, which is cool. But the reworkings definitely have their own merit.....

I think the biggest issue is the tempo change. Slowing it down sort of sucked the life out of it in a live setting. I stopped listening to the old recording and have come around on the new one as a result. Thankfully though, they sped it back up again live, at least they did last Saturday.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 2:22 pm

OK choosing only half the songs in the album was pretty hard. I think Rosemary, Among Other Foolish Things, Mojo Hand and Open All Night are the best but it may fluctuate.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

StateOfMind wrote:

I love mojo hand!!!
Back to top Go down
cowgirlwiththeblues
Wooderson
Wooderson
cowgirlwiththeblues

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 3:42 pm

I think if I absolutely had to choose a single favourite, it may well be Mojo Hand. Absolutely love it.

(Don't hold me to that though!)
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 7:50 pm

I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that if the new parts of Long Drives had been used for a new song that it would be getting a lot of love. There's some really good things happening in it.

Nobody Wins is probably my favorite although if you ask me again in an hour that might change.

Not that I dislike Rosemary but I really wouldn't consider that one of the best tracks on the album. Then again it's getting a lot of comparisons to Dark Places and I was never really on board with the love fest for that song either. Decent song and all but not one I'd use to introduce someone to the band or probably even put on a mix. Neither get skipped on when listening to the albums though.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Yeah, I agree. The new Long Drives reminds me of the tone of 7th and Union, a track that Brian played with MATZ and never played again.
Back to top Go down
jonnyz83
A Contender
A Contender
jonnyz83

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 9:19 am

Roe wrote:

Not that I dislike Rosemary but I really wouldn't consider that one of the best tracks on the album. Then again it's getting a lot of comparisons to Dark Places and I was never really on board with the love fest for that song either. Decent song and all but not one I'd use to introduce someone to the band or probably even put on a mix. Neither get skipped on when listening to the albums though.

Whaaaaaaaaa?

That's crazy talk. I think Rosemary might be the best song he's done over the past few years!
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 10:56 pm

I've spun the album a few more times since posting and Rosemary is growing on me but I can still pick 4 or 5 tracks I like more. Maybe it'll take a few more spins.
Back to top Go down
Roe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 am

Nobody Wins is still holding strong at the top and I've got Honey Magnolia as a very close second. The piano fits in just fine although I don't think the song would lose too much without it. Everything else about it is just perfect though. The vocal melody and phrasing are definitely top notch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!   Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite tracks from 'Painkillers' (poll) - multiple choices allowed!
Page 1 of 1