DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list

Go down 
+59
BrokenHallelujah
mwh
rumham
zerb012345
crazyhollywoodnights
The_River
Hanswurst
nebraska
SammyHutchison
ThisMachineKillsFascists
wvmark73
Jerseyrain
CapedAvenger
EmmaMary
JimmyB
MagicRatAFC
StopAndSlideToTheRight
PFREEZY
JJW319
CluckyB
clashcityrocker
Crockin
Philo
amberfoyd
simo
IKeeptheDiner
Jack
Shrewsbury_Stars
loazis
Sugar And Spice
Jay
RobertODonnell
sarahjay
erika
vamike
andy.mac
steady now steady now
thecosmickid
Daire
tdawg
hostutca
steph
TGAFAN25
Stevearm
I Came To Dance
e7c
tricksatthebar
J_Schooly
Frenzal
Greydiamonddesert
reservation girl
rhg5010
Vibes
rosstbh
liveit
ktp
Stalls_Standing
Jukebox Romeo
Prisoner
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 5:40 am

I bet the Afghan Whigs referenced A Christmas Carol too so it's the same reference most likely in two different places
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:34 pm

"by the light of the fourway" from We Came To Dance is a Tom Waits reference to the song Downtown Train
Back to top Go down
Frenzal
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:05 pm

TGA - High Lonesome
And Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand/ I always kinda sorta wished I looked like Elvis/ And in my head there s all these classic cars/And outlaw cowboy bands/ I always kinda sorta wish I m someone else.

Counting Crows - Round Here
Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand/ She said she d like to meet a boy who looks like Elvis.

There were Southern accents/ On the radio/ As I drove home/ And at night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet / It s a pretty good song/ Maybe you know the rest

I m on Fire - Bruce Springsteen:
At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Southern Accents is a Tom Petty song. That's another reference for ya.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 8:34 pm

um, please check the lists we have on the first page, 'cause we have all 3 of those already. they were kinda obvi, tbh
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:16 pm

I know we already covered "waltzing Matilda" as a traditional folk song but Brian's lyric is probably reffering to Tom Waits or The Royal Rounders' "Tom Traubert's Blues"

This song just popped up on my Pandora and blew me away

I'm not sure if it's the same as the traditional folk song. If it is, ignore this.
Back to top Go down
J_Schooly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

This line from "Backseat":

"But you and I we've been through this"

Is almost identical to this line from "All Along the Watchtower":

"But you and I we've been through that"
Back to top Go down
tricksatthebar
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm

In 'Meet Me By the River's Edge', I kind of assumed that the 'no retreat, no regrets' part is also a reference to 'No Surrender' by Springsteen... "no retrat, baby, no surrender..". One of my favourite Bruce songs!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 11:52 am

Vibes wrote:
I know we already covered "waltzing Matilda" as a traditional folk song but Brian's lyric is probably reffering to Tom Waits or The Royal Rounders' "Tom Traubert's Blues"

This song just popped up on my Pandora and blew me away

I'm not sure if it's the same as the traditional folk song. If it is, ignore this.

Waltzing Matilda is truly a beautiful song and unbelievably sad song. I love that song so much that Monk-o-tron was almost named Matilda because of it.
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 12:30 pm

"High and Lonesome" could be a reference to the Replacements song "Can't Hardly Wait", since they sing that line in the song.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Does anyone know what the 84 in "Angry Johnny" refers to? I've always wondered
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:44 pm

84 Lumber Co.

duh
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 12:59 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
84 Lumber Co.

duh

I don't get it
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 1:29 pm

http://www.84lumber.com/

it's a joke. ya know, 'cause brian was a roofer. i have no idea what 84 actually refers to
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 2:20 pm

"heart of stone" from Casanova, Baby! comes from Bruce's She's The One on Born to Run
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:06 pm

There's a Springsteen song called "Hearts Of Stone" too.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:21 pm

and a Chuck Ragan song
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:15 pm

"Can I Get a Witness" by Marvin Gaye

From "Even Cowgirls": "So can I get a witness, pretty baby?"
Back to top Go down
Pat Bate

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:40 pm

Boomboxes And Dictionaries first line 'I took a drive today...'

Rearviewmirror by Pearl Jam
Back to top Go down
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Wow I didn't even realize Old White Lincoln and Just Like Heaven sounded so similar 'till I read it here lol, I put them on and man were you right! xD
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 pm

You think that's crazy? Listen to
Social Distortion - Don't Drag Me Down

Very similar start!
Back to top Go down
Pat Bate

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 4:38 pm

"Well don't you take it so hard and baby don't you cry" Film Noir
from Guns N' Roses - Don't Cry
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:16 pm

eh...idk about that one. the lyrics to the GNR song don't have anything about the first part of that Film Noir line, and "don't you cry" is a common enough phrase for it to not be inspired by any particular song
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 am

i think most of these that you've come up with in that huge list are purely coincidental. when its just two or three words together, its a coincidence and could be considered a tribute to MANY songs, not just the one from whatever band who's song you chose....

there's no way he's referencing that many songs...

ie. "Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand" CLEARLY REFERENCING IT but when you have a line like
"Don't think twice" and then say its a Bob Dylan reference....

NO WAY!! that's simply coincidence and I'm sure we could find about 100 songs that have the three words Don't Think Twice in it....

ANyways, i dont mean to be a dick, but the list seems a little bit ridiculous, and its cool to see some of the references, but I dont think there are nearly as many as the list contains....
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
i think most of these that you've come up with in that huge list are purely coincidental. when its just two or three words together, its a coincidence and could be considered a tribute to MANY songs, not just the one from whatever band who's song you chose....

there's no way he's referencing that many songs...

ie. "Maria came from Nashville with a suitcase in her hand" CLEARLY REFERENCING IT but when you have a line like
"Don't think twice" and then say its a Bob Dylan reference....

NO WAY!! that's simply coincidence and I'm sure we could find about 100 songs that have the three words Don't Think Twice in it....

ANyways, i dont mean to be a dick, but the list seems a little bit ridiculous, and its cool to see some of the references, but I dont think there are nearly as many as the list contains....

i agree...some of the references are definite, some once you know the origin it makes sense, some just are stretching it too far...i mentioned it before, and someone replied that the reason they enjoying the band so much is that they are so obvious about their influences, but calling some of these phrases "references" isnt giving the band, and brian particularly, enough credit for originality. i mean, it makes it sound like he just strung together some lyrics by other artists and calls it his own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next