DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list

Go down 
+59
BrokenHallelujah
mwh
rumham
zerb012345
crazyhollywoodnights
The_River
Hanswurst
nebraska
SammyHutchison
ThisMachineKillsFascists
wvmark73
Jerseyrain
CapedAvenger
EmmaMary
JimmyB
MagicRatAFC
StopAndSlideToTheRight
PFREEZY
JJW319
CluckyB
clashcityrocker
Crockin
Philo
amberfoyd
simo
IKeeptheDiner
Jack
Shrewsbury_Stars
loazis
Sugar And Spice
Jay
RobertODonnell
sarahjay
erika
vamike
andy.mac
steady now steady now
thecosmickid
Daire
tdawg
hostutca
steph
TGAFAN25
Stevearm
I Came To Dance
e7c
tricksatthebar
J_Schooly
Frenzal
Greydiamonddesert
reservation girl
rhg5010
Vibes
rosstbh
liveit
ktp
Stalls_Standing
Jukebox Romeo
Prisoner
63 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 2:38 pm

"The walls of my room are closing in" No Surrender - Bruce Springsteen

".. with it's 4 walls closing in" TGA - Wooderson

Or am I just looking for connections in a really vague context?
Back to top Go down
MagicRatAFC
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 4:33 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Two girl group references on American Slang, one that's obvious and one that isn't.

Stay Lucky: "Mama never told me there'd be days like these"

The Shirelles - Mama Said: "Mama said there'd be days like this"

My thought was "Strange days indeed" by John Lennon.

But as has been said, there's a lot of fairly generic words that are not necessarily referenced.
Back to top Go down
http://www.invernessreds.co.uk
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 8:18 am

StopAndSlideToTheRight wrote:
"The walls of my room are closing in" No Surrender - Bruce Springsteen

".. with it's 4 walls closing in" TGA - Wooderson

Or am I just looking for connections in a really vague context?
I guess it's just a common expression.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 am

At the Revival concert in Switzerland, Brian called Dave Hause up on stage after wooderson and made it clear that the "alright, alright"s and "tonight, tonights" are taken from Jane by The Loved Ones.

It's at the start of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgue9PGMzb0

Also makes me wonder if the "Not tonight, not tonight" at the beginning of The Patient Ferris Wheel is taken from The Loved One's Selfish Masquerade.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 6:56 am

The Who - Baba O'Riley

"Let's get together before we get much older'"

TGA - Say I won't (recognize)

"So come on now before we get much older, and that could happen any one of these nights."
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Anyone post?
"But not me baby"-Tom Petty, Yer so bad

But not me Pretty Baby-Even Cowgirls
Back to top Go down
EmmaMary
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 1:18 pm

I don't think anyone's mentioned how much Red at Night sounds like Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key? by Woody Guthrie/Billy Bragg and Wilco, I love both those songs so much Razz
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow. Never seen this thread before.

I'm surprised nobody's put anything on here from Handwritten. I'll start with a few, including this first one that only just clicked yesterday.

"Every streetlight a reminder" from Blue Dahlia is a direct lift from Nightswimming by R.E.M.

Howl has a number of references to Thunder Road, some direct, some indirect: "sound of thunder", escapes, radio, waving dress.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 11:05 pm

MagicRatAFC wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Two girl group references on American Slang, one that's obvious and one that isn't.

Stay Lucky: "Mama never told me there'd be days like these"

The Shirelles - Mama Said: "Mama said there'd be days like this"

My thought was "Strange days indeed" by John Lennon.

But as has been said, there's a lot of fairly generic words that are not necessarily referenced.

Well, some of these are definitely coincidences, but the example you quoted...I think it's safe to assume that's a reference, given Brian's fondness for that era/style of music.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:24 am

CapedAvenger wrote:

I'm surprised nobody's put anything on here from Handwritten. I'll start with a few, including this first one that only just clicked yesterday.

"Every streetlight a reminder" from Blue Dahlia is a direct lift from Nightswimming by R.E.M.

Howl has a number of references to Thunder Road, some direct, some indirect: "sound of thunder", escapes, radio, waving dress.

I also find the line "If you wanna you can find me on the hood under the moonlight" shares a similar romantic image with Jungleland's "Barefoot girl on the hood of a dodge, drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain". but maybe Im clutching at straws.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:26 am

JimmyB wrote:
Anyone post?
"But not me baby"-Tom Petty, Yer so bad

But not me Pretty Baby-Even Cowgirls

Your my heart is locked quote strongly resembles one of my own songs where a line reads "You held the key, but you broke it in the lock". Theres no way you would have known obviously but I just found it a coincidence worth commenting on...
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 am

Jerseyrain wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:

I also find the line "If you wanna you can find me on the hood under the moonlight" shares a similar romantic image with Jungleland's "Barefoot girl on the hood of a dodge, drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain". but maybe Im clutching at straws.

Making out on the hood of a car is such a commonplace American (or maybe international, I don't know) thing that it finds its way into so many songs. I think it's probably just because of that rather than the Bruce thing.

Hell, there's a new Killers song that has the lyric "Blanket on the hood, backs against the windshield".
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
wvmark73
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm

As for the line "All hope abondon, ye who enter here", I saw that line painted above a door way at Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin while Brian was in diapers. No idea how old it is, but it's not a new or unique line. Just a good one.
Back to top Go down
wvmark73
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

JackCharles wrote:
Jerseyrain wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:

Making out on the hood of a car is such a commonplace American (or maybe international, I don't know) thing that it finds its way into so many songs. I think it's probably just because of that rather than the Bruce thing.

Hell, there's a new Killers song that has the lyric "Blanket on the hood, backs against the windshield".

My car in HS had a girl named Bonnie's butt dent in the hood. No idea how it got there......
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:00 am

wvmark73 wrote:
As for the line "All hope abondon, ye who enter here", I saw that line painted above a door way at Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin while Brian was in diapers. No idea how old it is, but it's not a new or unique line. Just a good one.

Isn't that line from Dante's Inferno?
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am

I guess the line "Come see about me" in Blue Dahlia is a reference to the Supremes song. Don't think anyone has mentioned that one before.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:20 am

ThisMachineKillsFascists wrote:
wvmark73 wrote:

Isn't that line from Dante's Inferno?

Yup, and that's most likely where Brian is drawing the inspiration from
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 am

ThisMachineKillsFascists wrote:
I guess the line "Come see about me" in Blue Dahlia is a reference to the Supremes song. Don't think anyone has mentioned that one before.

I don't think so.... I think it has to be more than a common phrase... For example, in Good Will Hunting, Matt Damon's character went to "See about a girl"...

to go see about somebody isn't a novel concept the supremes came up with

Back to top Go down
SammyHutchison
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SammyHutchison

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 pm

It is a meatloaf reference in Senor and the Queen.
Back to top Go down
nebraska
A Contender
A Contender
nebraska

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 12:31 am

I found this

I don't know if you notice before but in that song there's a line that says (3:01):

"I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves

When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in"
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 4:52 am

nebraska wrote:
I found this

I don't know if you notice before but in that song there's a line that says (3:01):

"I awoke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started humming a song from 1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves

When you just don't seem to have as much to lose
Strange how the night moves
With autumn closing in"
wow good find!

i know brian always says they want to get away from this being-compared to other artists - but all this references on T59s make this an even better record. So i would love if there'd be some references on the new record Smile
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 7:20 am

Am I the only one that feels like Brian is a huge Counting Crows fan (possibly as much as I am, such a great band), but no one ever mentions them when refering to TGA? It's basically the same deal with Tom Petty. Those two are possibly more quoted than Springsteen, but it always goes back to him. Tom Petty is so good too.
Well...
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2013 11:46 am

I too think there are more quotes from CC/TP than from Springsteen - but CC' sound is a lot more different from gaslight's than Tom Petty or Springsteen. So people won't get anything out of how gaslight sounds if you tell them TGA are very inspired by CC - its more or less a lyrical thing. Don't get me wrong i think the CC and TP inspiration should be mentioned more often - but springsteen is such a household name so its getting them more fame.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 am

I get your point.

Also it's a little off from the topic, but am I the only one that thinks that for a long time running between T59S to AS, Brian was heavily influenced by Mike Ness from Social Distortion ? I mean, look at the P90 Les Paul Goldtop, his haircut, and many other things.

Is their any quote, or any reference somewhere to Mike Ness and his band from TGA ?

Edit : there's one pic of Brian sporting a Social D shirt. I might not be that wrong.
Back to top Go down
crazyhollywoodnights
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Sorry to revive this thread, but I noticed something while listening to my Ventura boot from last April--in OWL, towards the end, there's a break in the song and Alex plays the opening lick from "Push" by the Cure--kinda cool since he thinks they're the greatest band ever, not sure if anyone else picked up on this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complete Gaslight song/artist references list   Complete Gaslight song/artist references list - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Complete Gaslight song/artist references list
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next