DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Springsteen - working on a dream

Go down 
+6
Dino
liveit
Forum Owner
Refused
Jukebox Romeo
carson
10 posters
AuthorMessage
carson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
carson

Springsteen - working on a dream Empty
PostSubject: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:40 am

Anyone got this album yet? Had a listen?...think i like it a bit more than magic, with the exception of radio nowhere...fav song of the album is definaely outlaw pete and the wrestler

just watched a interview with bruce, and he mentions his son got him into the gaslight anthem...thought it was pretty kool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/joshgnr
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 pm

yeah, i got the leak of this album. i still don't really love the single, but What Love Can Do and My Lucky Day are extremely good songs, as well as the two you mentioned. overall, it's decent. nothing like his old stuff, but still pretty solid
Back to top Go down
carson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
carson

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 5:43 pm

yeh nothing compares to the old stuff, hes taking his time announcing a uk date...glastonbury looks strong, but im hoping for a london date...
Back to top Go down
Refused
A Contender
A Contender
Refused

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Aparently he's playing Hyde Park Calling or whatever it is. There's a Dublin date also.
Back to top Go down
http://acriddissonance.wordpress.com
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:21 am

carson wrote:
Anyone got this album yet? Had a listen?...think i like it a bit more than magic, with the exception of radio nowhere...fav song of the album is definaely outlaw pete and the wrestler

just watched a interview with bruce, and he mentions his son got him into the gaslight anthem...thought it was pretty kool

His son also listens to Against Me! - he met them at a show a few years back.

Springsteen - working on a dream L_4e52cbdc1ad2ee86868030c65cca628a
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 am

HE likes Against Me! It's been said that when they'd play Asbury Park, he'd always go to the show.
Back to top Go down
carson
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
carson

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Refused wrote:
Aparently he's playing Hyde Park Calling or whatever it is. There's a Dublin date also.

yeh looks promising, il go to that..they normally have a few bands on before at that...i think
Back to top Go down
Dino
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm

I was wondering that no one mentioned the Super Bowl performance on this forum!

In my opinion Working on a dream between those classics (although Glory Days was a bit too cheesy) showed how weak this song is. It's not a bad song but it can't stand the comparison to the classics!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 4:58 pm

yeah, i'm not a huge fan of that song. i was a bit disappointed at the length of the show, as it was only 4 songs (i feel like Petty played at least 6), and he even cut the second verse from Born to Run! i was so shocked when i heard the saxophone after the first verse
Back to top Go down
Dino
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Yeah, that and that he changed the lyrics to Glory Days was a bit disappointing. But all in all Springsteen showed that he can do a better 12-minute-show than most of the bestselling bands these days!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:24 pm

it was hilarious when he slid balls first into the camera!
Back to top Go down
liveit
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 pm

is that what that was from? someone posted that on Brian's myspace page. weird.
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:18 pm

What, this?
Springsteen - working on a dream Boss_slide
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 am

I'm still trying to fully figure out WOAD. On one hand people are saying it's music first and the lyrics are just there but Bruce always has somethign hidden in the words. People said the same thing about Magic until it became clear that almost every song was about the war.

And I know it works as the final piece in a trilogy (Rising, Magic, Woad) where the first one is dealing with tragedy, the second with the aftermath of mishandling that tragedy, and the third of finally reaching the light at the end of the tunnel, or so it would seem.

But I also see a bit of self parody. Those same characters from BTR are all grown up but they still have their overblown romance. It just doesn't seem as cool in your 50s. I want to die with you Queenie in aisle number 2 tonight in an everlasting kiss.

And anyone that doesn't like Good Eye doesn't like Rock and Roll.

As for the Superbowl. It was as good as a 12 minute half time show can get. Maybe I would have preferred and 4 minute Badlands and an 8 minute Light of Day. But Bruce wasn't going for serious. he was going for silly and fun and he accomplished that. Glory Days wasn't cheesy. It was goofy and it was supposed to be. That's the whole point of the song. Things are only cheesy when they are intended to be serious, like a Britney Spears video.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 2:13 pm

haha love that video clip! wonder what went through his mind as he saw the camera getting closer and closer and realised that he was at the point of no return?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ktpland.blogspot.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:17 pm

From his Super Bowl Journal on brucespringsteen.net:
Quote :
During "Tenth Avenue" I tell the story of my band…and other things "when the change was made uptown"…. It goes rushing by, then the knee slide. Too much adrenalin, a late drop, too much speed, here I come Mike…BOOM! And I'm onto his camera, the lens implanted into my chest with one leg off the stage. I use his camera to push myself back up
It happened in practice too:
Quote :
Two days ago we rehearsed in full rain on the field and the stage became as slick as an ice pond. It was almost impossible to stand on. It was so slick I crashed into Mike Colucci, our cameraman, coming off my knee slide, his camera the only thing that kept me from launching out onto the soggy turf.
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:22 pm

haha nice one! so he never learnt the first time?!
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:37 pm

he's old. he's a slow learner
Back to top Go down
ktp
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ktp

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 pm

guess it's true - you can't teach an old dog new tricks?! he should leave the knee slides to 10 year old boys and wedding dancefloors! (i hope someone knows peter kay?!?!)
Back to top Go down
Shallow
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:24 pm

ktp wrote:
guess it's true - you can't teach an old dog new tricks?! he should leave the knee slides to 10 year old boys and wedding dancefloors! (i hope someone knows peter kay?!?!)

He's been knee sliding since before we were all born. Old trick for the Boss. Misdtake or not the crotch slam was the coolest thing ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Springsteen - working on a dream   Springsteen - working on a dream Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Springsteen - working on a dream
Page 1 of 1