DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Webster Hall, 2/26/15

Go down 
+12
NeverTrustAJunkie
AngryRyan
Asmith1912
NervousFeetHeartofStone
pleasepassthesoup
igatherspeed
ACA
jensomniac
enola
Steve70s
StitchesOnTheRadio
GlennR
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm

AngryRyan wrote:
"I'd have to verify with the recordings but my recollection is that the Radio City Music Hall show in 2010 and the Asbury Park Convention Hall show of 2011 both exceeded two hours."

Radio City was 24 songs.

Asbury Convention Hall was 27 songs.

Webster Hall was 25 songs.

Indeed that 27-song set was awesome! And it was a special holiday event, not part of their tour (something I remark on only because of my post above about comparisons).

Plus, Bayside played and totally fucking killed it!
Back to top Go down
http://sonicawareness.net
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 4:54 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
"for the life of me I wish they would turn Brians microphone up."

THIS. I don't know ONE single thing Brian said the entire show, and I love when he chats to the crowd.

AngryRyan wrote:
Out of the 11 shows I've been to I think 9 of them, Brian's voice was drowned out by the band. The two shows at Pier 26 were pretty well mixed. If you're a new fan and don't know most the words, I would prob not enjoy the concert as much because you can't make out the majority of what he says/sings.

Some facts:

1) Compared to other similar bands, TGA's vocals are definitely mixed way lower these days. This wasn't always the case, it's something fairly new. I personally dislike this choice. I know sometimes they are mixed too low (even by the band's standards), because they get cranked up 2-3 songs in. It takes some time to get the sound right, and it's even worse at first when they are going for a low mix. About the same time they started dropping his vocals, they pumped the bass. I'd love to hear more from Brian.

2) Brian mumbles during his stage banter, which seems to be half intentional (shut the fuck up if you want to hear what he has to say) and half the topics he covers. I caught all the banter last night, but I was straining to do so.

3) If you want the best sound, avoid the sides at all costs. You are going to lose half of the stage's sound. You are getting a second-rate experience. Don't do it. You won't even know what you're missing. Secondly, avoid the very front of the room. In a typical venue, sound is going to be best within 10-15 feet of the board.. so stay straight back and in the middle of the room. I like to spend a bit of time close or on the rail, but I know to step back if I want the right sound experience. Of course, sometimes it's more fun to just be up front, sound-be-damned!
Back to top Go down
AngryRyan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
AngryRyan

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 pm

yea I was right down in front at the start of the show, prob like three rows length from the stage, a few songs in I just backed out and ended up going upstairs. got right in the middle in front of the bar, the sound was definitely better but I still yearn to hear his voice more.

I went to the acoustic garwood show in december. now that was just insanely good. Nice mellow atmosphere, voice just resonated round the room. That's prob the reason why its my favorite "gaslight" show even tho it was basically a Horrible Crowes/Molly and the Zombies show lol
Back to top Go down
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh yeah, number four..

4) If you are annoyed with the crowd singing OVER a vocalist, get a pair of earplugs. The attenuating nature of earplugs will pretty much silence everyone near you and allow you to hear the loudest sounds (the band) much more easily and much cleaner.

Hell, you should ALWAYS have a pair of these -- available for less than the price of a beer at all CVSs / Walgreens / etc -- on you just in case the mix is too loud one night (usually this happens with the bass):

http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-swimming/pillow-soft-earplugs-6-pair-value

If you love music, protect your hearing. I say this out of love and experience from going to 1000+ shows over the years.
Back to top Go down
miked331
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:02 pm

AngryRyan wrote:
"I'd have to verify with the recordings but my recollection is that the Radio City Music Hall show in 2010 and the Asbury Park Convention Hall show of 2011 both exceeded two hours."

Radio City was 24 songs.

Asbury Convention Hall was 27 songs.

Webster Hall was 25 songs.

Wasn't the first Summerstage show in 2010 pretty long?
Back to top Go down
ACA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:10 pm

On the topic of sound quality, note that some bands really do a better job getting the right sound out to the crowd. Here's a controlled experiment with two songs (same spot in the crowd at the same venue recorded with the same iPhone):

Great sound (Neutral Milk Hotel, faster song):

https://vine.co/v/MuX3bdqKVrB

Could be better (The Gaslight Anthem, slower song):

https://vine.co/v/O2H1bVH9J9n

And just for fun, here's terrible sound:

https://vine.co/v/hQAYAAaaLIl
Back to top Go down
thebends
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 5:50 pm

I really enjoyed the show, was blown away by the 1st few tunes untill they hit the 1st song they played off the new album. I for one am glad they didnt play many songs off the new album. I enjoy the album, but not so much live. Really enjoyed the slow version of great expectations

I thought brians voice sounded great, and I was really impressed by Benny's playing! like others have said before, I couldnt hear a word that brian was saying in between songs. Tell him to speak into the mic.lol

Also I think playing an hour and 45 mins is plenty. They had me wishing for more.

How was the scandels? I thought nortcote was pretty cool.

My only complaint would be, there are many asshole walking through the crowd knocking people over. so that they could get through the crowd.
Very happy I saw them at webster hall, cause terminal 5 sucks!

enjoy saturdays show people!
Back to top Go down
turnitin2004
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention and really wanted to that I thought alex and Benny were excellent. Since I wasn't so crammed in the front like normally I was able to just pay attention and take everything in for once.

I thought alex on backig vocals sounded very good and Benny was just killing it on the drums.
Back to top Go down
cmigs
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 6:30 pm

After the Australia setlists, I was expecting far worse treatment of the new album - 4 songs, believe it or not, beats basically all of those setlists in terms of Get Hurt content.

Is it possible that Brian finds some of those songs too dark to delve into? That he's in a different headspace now than when he wrote the record and is just not feeling them?

It's insane that they are not rotating in Dark Places as a closer, though, and already ditching the lead single.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2015 6:39 pm

How long did Northcote play for? I've been a huge fan of his since seeing him open for Dave Hause last year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Webster Hall, 2/26/15   Webster Hall, 2/26/15 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Webster Hall, 2/26/15
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2