DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?

Go down 
+21
TGAFAN25
mwh
23Punk
eagles1139
JimmyB
Harbortown
Jack
Thunder Peel
bt211
bringiton_ty
Steve70s
Anya_TGA
jzancan
RobertODonnell
Jaws
StitchesOnTheRadio
Keele
The Angry Johnny Revue
lo
DeathoftheCool
flannel
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 4:41 pm

This song gets so much hate and I love it, I have always loved it. I know what people mean about it getting repetitive, and people not liking the style (although that's a matter of taste), but it means a lot to me. Lyrically it's one of my favorites and Brian's vocals in it are probably my favorite on Handwritten aside from Mae. Also, I have serious moments when they play it live.
I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE??
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 5:57 pm

I feel this. I love how slow and confident it is, and it's definitely the vocal highlight of the album. Kinda like "Diamond Church Street Choir" and "Go Tell Everybody"
Back to top Go down
lo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
lo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 6:02 pm

I love it too! Especially live. I had no idea there was hate for it until now. It's not my favorite on the album, but there are days when the lyrics just make so much sense to me haha
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

When it came out I was like "Oooosh grungy Gaslight" and it was all goods. Now I'm just like skip that shit when it comes on my ipod.
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I love this song. Love the riff, love the vocals, etc. I think it may get lost for some people because of where it is on the album and the fact it's sort shares a vibe found in the previous two tracks. It's a little different for them though. It's not the first song that comes to mind or personal favourite on Handwritten, but it really sticks in my head after.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 am

Okay, I know this thread is for people who LOVE the song and I have such ups and downs with it, but I'm currently on an up so I'm commenting anyway.

I genuinely like this song more than I let on but I think my issue is I long for what it could've been. I also love the riff and the vocals, and it was the first song (clip) that I heard prior to the release of the album that made me think "wow, these songs are going to have a very big sound". And it's actually one of the most relatable tracks on the album for me. But I just get lost in the repetition, and not in a good way. It's more like I suddenly snap out of my daze and say "oh wait it's still playing?" and I just find myself asking "if this song had another verse instead of another chorus, what would be in that verse?"

And I agree with Keele, it definitely suffers for it's placement on the album because it's right after Keepsake and it's just lost in the middle of the album a bit. I kind of wish the first 4 tracks went 45, Handwritten, Mulholland, Too Much Blood. I'm not really sure what you'd do with Keepsake and HCMM, but I've never liked their locations on the album anyway.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 1:42 am

I def think that its placement after Keepsake was awful because to me they sound fairly similar, but ugh
how can so few people not appreciate the lyrics
as well as Brian's voice on this song like
during the angel and devil parts
ugh
too many h8rs
Back to top Go down
lo
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
lo

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:57 am

I agree with you guys about the placement as well. When the album first came out, Keepsake and Too Much Blood kind of melted together for me
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 11:29 am

I think it's an okay song, the lyrics are particularly good. But in the context of the album, it brings everything to a halt. It just plods. It doesn't help that it comes after Keepsake, either. I just think Handwritten would be a much better album without it (and without Desire, but adding in Blue Dahlia. But that's for another day).
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 11:58 am

I just think it drags on (the chorus is actually two choruses that together are almost a minute long) and the lyrics never excited me.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 12:25 pm

My relationship with Too Much Blood is a pretty good exemplification of my relationship with the Handwritten as an album. I fell madly, deeply in love with it...for like a week. My affair with the rest of album lasted maybe a month longer, but I don't really listen to it anymore.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 2:08 pm

I love Brian's voice on this song, it's amazing, and I think it was this one where I got goosebumps during the concert...
Back to top Go down
Steve70s
Wooderson
Wooderson
Steve70s

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 4:30 am

I love this track - the lead guitar does it for me.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 am

Sorry but I really do not like this song, it just bores the hell out of me. I hope they drop the "grungey" style songs on the new record
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
bt211
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 8:08 am

I love the Handwritten record in general but Too Much Blood is probably my least favorite. I'd skip over it when listening to the record but then I actually enjoyed the song live.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 1:04 pm

Anya_TGA wrote:
I love Brian's voice on this song, it's amazing, and I think it was this one where I got goosebumps during the concert...

THANK YOU  cheers 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:50 pm

bt211 wrote:
I love the Handwritten record in general but Too Much Blood is probably my least favorite. I'd skip over it when listening to the record but then I actually enjoyed the song live.

I used to feel this way but I think Desire has sunk below TMB. But I don't skip either when I'm deliberately listening to the record, just when it's shuffling. I think I'll enjoy this song more live when I feel like they're mixing up the set lists more. I've gotten so bored with the same 17/20 songs being played most nights I've gone to and I've come to expect this one every time. When it (IF it) becomes a rarity I'll appreciate it much more.
Back to top Go down
Thunder Peel
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Thunder Peel

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Vocally and lyrically it's a highlight for me. It's a bold track and a nice change of pace for the band.

I guess I'm in the minority around here but I still love the album as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 5:32 pm

flannel wrote:
I def think that its placement after Keepsake was awful because to me they sound fairly similar, but ugh
how can so few people not appreciate the lyrics
as well as Brian's voice on this song like
during the angel and devil parts
ugh
too many h8rs

I really don't think the song has been trashed enough to warrant the level of defensiveness in your posts. And this forum is not exactly filled with "h8rs". Some people like certain things, others don't. I don't see why that can't be accepted in today's society. Really, it's quite silly.

And for the record, I really like Too Much Blood.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 6:58 pm

Thunder Peel wrote:

I guess I'm in the minority around here but I still love the album as a whole.

me too!
Back to top Go down
Keele
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 12:10 am

Still listen to this album all the way through quite often.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 8:44 am

I do love the chorus. It's so simple and on point, with a very relaxed sensibility to it.

The rest however feels kinda forced to me, I get what they were trying to do but it just doesn't do anything for me.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 2:18 pm

I like the guitarwork in it, but yeah, the rhythm feels rushed and does not flow well. Although I still say "Muholland Drive" is probably the most solid of of Handwritten.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:09 pm

JimmyB wrote:
I like the guitarwork in it, but yeah, the rhythm  feels rushed and does not flow well.   Although I still say "Muholland Drive" is probably the most solid of of Handwritten.

yeah Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite!
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm

It's my favorite of the block of mid-tempo songs in Handwritten's middle. I like Mulholland Drive but something about the ending really bugs me (I cringe at "Who came to wipe your tears away who came to bring back your dignity baby?") Otherwise I'd like Mulholland Drive more than TMB....I think that some more lyrics before the guitar solo would help too much blood...it kinda feels like it doesn't justify its track length. Like they really wanted to have a 5 minute song so they stretched it a bit thin. That riff kicks ass though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?   Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone else actually LOVE Too Much Blood?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next