DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)

Go down 
+21
madsmom
The_River
Jaws
TGAFAN25
The Last Jukebox Romeo
CluckyB
steph
Steve70s
bringiton_ty
Italian__Fallon
enola
prettyontheinsidex
eagles1139
Harbortown
Yozzy
zerb012345
Anya_TGA
Jack
DeathoftheCool
Shrewsbury_Stars
steady now steady now
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 pm

I think it's pretty funny how much division this thread has created.
At the end of the day, we're all fans here and there is no problem in what is, as Yozzy put it, "constructive criticism." Even Brian has said that Blue Dahlia should have replaced Desire on Handwriten...there is nothing wrong with examining things we would do differently or talking about thoughts that we would have liked to happen. If everyone just started saying "I love it; It's awesome" to everything that they put out, then are we really fans at all? Surely having the ability to take the time and actually invest in the material is what makes us fans? Not everything in the world is perfect and Gaslight is no different.
Seriously, I think we need to chill.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 pm

I knew I was gonna get something for saying that; but saying it brings me to this point: The band is who they are. they make mistakes, just like we all do. But somethings I've been reading shoot down what the band is. If you look, I had my own complaints about my favorite band ever. You all do too. I was just saying that some things seemed...too critical. Obviously we're all fans. They're going through a weird time as a band.
To the sister comment, I completely get what you're saying and agree. I also agree it's ok to have some criticism.
To the me trying to be a bigger fan- no, I don't see it that way at all. I was saying my opinion- exactly what this site is for.
I as well love them for who they are, down sides or not.
I agree, people need to chill.
Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 pm

this video brian explains the blue dahlia thing and comments about how this song should have been on handwritten instead of desire.

Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Harbortown wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:
After reading some of these I wonder if we're really fans...
I'm a huge fan of my sister, but that doesn't mean I don't think she's an annoying little shit every now and then
lol i totally asked myself why I responded the way I did originally. I was like what do I like about this band? and then I remembered...I really like them. Even when there's things I don't like, I still love this band.

love the sister comment!
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm

And in reality I'm their biggest fan.

You're all tied for number 2.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 12:28 am

zerb012345 wrote:
No offense pal, but you're 15 years old...

You've got some great ideas on some things, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you in other subjects, but on this topic, you're completely off base
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 12:29 am

If you blindly love something, I'm not sure you love it at all...

You have to know the good and bad of something before you can really wholeheartedly say you love it, despite it's weaknesses
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:37 am

prettyontheinsidex wrote:
this video brian explains the blue dahlia thing and comments about how this song should have been on handwritten instead of desire.

Wow, never saw that video. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 am

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

You've got some great ideas on some things, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you in other subjects, but on this topic, you're completely off base
I knew that was going to come up at some point as well. I don't think it matters how old you are to be a fan and have an opinion.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 am

The opinion that you can't be a fan if you're critical about the band is an opinion that I probably would've had at 15....

Critical thinking and constructive criticism are things that come as you get older.

Maybe you're right, maybe we're not really fans scratch 
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:49 am

I really don't like that Who cover, because I've heard that song way too many times in my entire life, and I'm not 30 yet...

Also @Harbortown, don't want to go aggro, but we got it, you know how to play guitar. It was blinking at my face the whole time I was reading your message. I guess you don't push your skills to the point when you're playing the same couple of songs nights after nights for like 5 years. Don't you get they are bored, barely sick of these songs, and everytime they are trying to move them to a different path, in order to keep some interest in them? Hence the chord changing on some songs, no open chords on AS, the standard tuning...

This things happen in real bands, you know, those with real amps and instruments on their hands, playing night after night the same couple of songs.

Also guys, please keep in mind that the bigger the venue, the harder the sound is to deal with. It's ok to play a small club with only your amps and a guitar with single coils. Once you go to an arena, you have to deal with plenty of other problems, like the PA, the feedback, and all these stuff. Go out and look at how many people are behind the scene to keep the sound good at a Springsteen gig at a stadium, for exemple. There's plenty...

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

I just think he said something like : "sometimes you gotta take it or leave it"
We can hear it, but if you're really unsatisfied with something, maybe you should go out and start your own band to do it your way. There's plenty of things that I don't like in TGA, and I could list them, no problem. What I assume he was saying was : it's cool not to be in it's own confort zone too. You have to embrace this band for what it is. Not what you'd wish for...
I like how this band is not perfect. It makes them special, so go on, make your list and voice your opinion. That's part of the punk spirit.
Also telling someone he is clueless because you're 24 and he his like 15 is a little weak imho.

Whatever...
Back to top Go down
madsmom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
madsmom

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am

enola wrote:
I'm sure they made some mistakes in their career - just like every other band, artist or human being - but I really don't like the idea of picking on them and I also don't see any sense in doing so. Nobody can turn back time and change what they did.
I agree with you on this Enola !!!!
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 12:59 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
The opinion that you can't be a fan if you're critical about the band is an opinion that I probably would've had at 15....

Critical thinking and constructive criticism are things that come as you get older.

Maybe you're right, maybe we're not really fans
Like I said, I had some criticisms as well, but some just seemed to be too much, things that can't be changed, things that just are.

The_River wrote:

I just think he said something like : "sometimes you gotta take it or leave it"
We can hear it, but if you're really unsatisfied with something, maybe you should go out and start your own band to do it your way. There's plenty of things that I don't like in TGA, and I could list them, no problem. What I assume he was saying was : it's cool not to be in it's own confort zone too. You have to embrace this band for what it is. Not what you'd wish for...
I like how this band is not perfect. It makes them special, so go on, make your list and voice your opinion. That's part of the punk spirit.
Also telling someone he is clueless because you're 24 and he his like 15 is a little weak imho.

Whatever...
^^^^^This. I didn't mean anything negative. This band is my favorite of all time, and part of that is the imperfections. The band will never be what you all want them to be...they are who they want to be, and they're working hard to get there.
About the age thing...Brian was 15 when he did the Coffee House sessions...just think about that. (Just to clarify, I'm not saying I'm anything close to Brian...but 15 year olds [well I'm 16 in less than two weeks] aren't as naive as you think we are)
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:20 pm

The_River wrote:

Also @Harbortown, don't want to go aggro, but we got it, you know how to play guitar. It was blinking at my face the whole time I was reading your message.
My post has nothing to do with what I can do on a guitar. How did you even get that? I guess you're just annoyed by what you probably perceive to be elitism, but it's not elitism. Just criticism. What, just because it's on the subject of some pretty specific theoretic parts (Theory that one can learn with very little work, I might add) it's less valid?
Perhaps those details don't mean too much to you, but to me they can be the difference between liking the song and disliking it. There's no need for you to be all passive aggressive with me just because I'm referring to something that perhaps you can't relate to.

Quote :
Don't you get they are bored, barely sick of these songs, and everytime they are trying to move them to a different path, in order to keep some interest in them? Hence the chord changing on some songs, no open chords on AS, the standard tuning...
All that is irrelevant to this thread because I'm pretty sure most of us understand the reason why the band did this or that. We're just talking about stuff they do that we don't like, there's no need for you to defend the band because like I said earlier, we all love Gaslight.

Look, Brian talked about how he wanted to change his playstyle for American Slang. Rather than just mindlessly strumming open chords he wanted to play riffs. I get that, that's a great concept, but where are the riffs? Apart from Alex Rosamilia's leads (Which are there on any given Gaslight record either way) there are barely any riffs on the album. Just more or less the same strumming of chords, with the only difference that they're not open. That doesn't add anything, it's rather on the contrary.

I don't mind that they want to change, but the change that he was talking about isn't there. See what I'm getting at?

Quote :
This things happen in real bands, you know, those with real amps and instruments on their hands, playing night after night the same couple of songs.
I don't really see what this has to do with anything. I get the feeling that you're trying to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not in a "real" band (what does that even mean? What's an unreal band?). On the contrary I've been playing in various bands (sometimes several bands during the same time period) since I was about 15. I know very much what it's like to get bored of your songs and that it's natural for bands to change things up.

That doesn't matter though. I can understand the reason behind something, yet still be perfectly within my rights to dislike it.

Back to top Go down
Jerseyrain
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Jerseyrain

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm

Not sure why this needed discussing as such.
Back to top Go down
http://jerseyrain.blogspot.com/
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Things that made me laugh the most about this thread: (i) people who care what Brian wears on his head and (ii) people who can't hear any criticism of the band without taking offense.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Jerseyrain wrote:
Not sure why this needed discussing as such.
Because it's a band that we all like and it's perfectly normal to discuss aspects of it that we don't like. Everybody does that. If you don't, you're weird or you're just a blind fanboy.

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
Things that made me laugh the most about this thread: (i) people who care what Brian wears on his head and (ii) people who can't hear any criticism of the band without taking offense.
dude, seriously.
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm

This topic was pretty interesting before that one dude had to go and ruin it.
Back to top Go down
Commander Vimes
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Commander Vimes

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
C'mon... He did look great with the flat cap. Yeah, any fans who don't allow criticisms tend to be the equivalent of 13 year old girls with Justin Bieber.

Silver is definitely up their for me; haven't managed to listen to that cover the whole way through yet.

The Bristol shows this March were on the shitty side. They finished at 9:30 and then I had to wait 2 and a half hours for just Benny to come out who, when asked,  said that he didn't know where the rest of the guys were.

All the 'woahs' et cetera in Handwritten aren't really my thing but a lot of people seem to disagree with me on that.

Also, the 'and what's left for god to preach from his throne' bit of National Anthem; what happened to Brian not mentioning his beliefs in Gaslight songs? Unless I'm misinterpreting that; I don't listen to that song much.

Agreeing with Harbortown on the Alex L and pink shirt thing. That was not a good day.

From reading this thread, it seems fortunate that I'm absolutely tone deaf and can't hear key changes or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Harbortown, I gotta say I'm really surprised that you don't like the key change in Blue Dahlia, especially being a musician. I think it's one of the more interesting things musically that Gaslight has done and it puts the icing on the cake of an already fantastic song.

And while I like that Brian wants it on the record, I would have preferred it to be 12th (where it already is) so you get a little Here's Looking at You Kid/Backseat thing going with National anthem/Blue Dahlia.

And I don't care what anyone says, I love Desire.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:45 pm

33RPMHero wrote:
This topic was pretty interesting before that one dude had to go and ruin it.
Be honest...is that dude me?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:48 pm

And to set it clear, I was never offended by what someone had to say.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Jack wrote:
Harbortown, I gotta say I'm really surprised that you don't like the key change in Blue Dahlia, especially being a musician. I think it's one of the more interesting things musically that Gaslight has done and it puts the icing on the cake of an already fantastic song.
Well, I do love it when musicians surprise me, but this kinda ruins the flow for me. It's not like they played a crazy awesomely weird chord progression or anything, they just changed the key.

I mean I get why people think it's cool, but to me it's just kind of annoying haha.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm

TO GET BACK ON TOPIC HOW ABOUT THEM CUTTING OUT THAT THIRD VERSE ON BILOXI PARISH, COME ON BOYS, WE LOVED THAT VERSE.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I don't know if I should still be commenting, but I was JUST thinking about that.
As much as I loved the verse, I feel the energy in the song is too high for it to just stop like that. I feel that if they had combined the words and the energy (somehow) it would be a better song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)   TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TGA/THC/BF stuff that sucked ;-)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next