DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1

Go down 
+8
Jack
bringiton_ty
StitchesOnTheRadio
azlisa
Harbortown
StopAndSlideToTheRight
njguy99
NYYFAN523
12 posters
AuthorMessage
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Empty
PostSubject: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Pretty nice job with the song, but it isn't one that really lends itself to being played acoustically, does it?
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm

It does when Grohl plays it acoustically. It's awesome when he sees the doo-doo-doos haha.
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Ok, well, maybe I just don't - GASP - like Brian's version scratch
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

njguy99 wrote:
It's okay.

Brian is pretty bad at acoustic performances.
Back to top Go down
StopAndSlideToTheRight
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
StopAndSlideToTheRight

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Harbortown wrote:
njguy99 wrote:
It's okay.

Brian is pretty bad at acoustic performances.

Sad but true. There are a few that give me goosebumps but the majority of them are rather subpar.

Brian, if you're reading this, it doesn't mean I don't love you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2012 4:29 pm

idk why. not really a fan of this version. Dave just does it too good when he plays it with the full band or acoustic.
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
idk why. not really a fan of this version. Dave just does it too good when he plays it with the full band or acoustic.

Yeah Dave Gorhl plays it perfect acoustically. Also, Brian is playing it in a much higher tune than how Dave Grohl plays it, maybe thats why it sounds a little off.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 2:36 am

From brian's twitter:

fan: "Awesome Foo cover man. I gotta ask, is wearing sunglasses indoors the best thing about being a rockstar?"

brian: "when you woke up 20 minutes prior... It's the only way to fly."

I like it!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 4:03 am

Man, even most of Gaslight's fans on Facebook are tearing this to pieces.

Better luck next time Brianbro.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 4:21 am

Idk I heard a lot of positive reactions too so maybe it's kinda split. As a person who had never heard the Foo Fighter's original version before, I love it. So maybe it's just that if falls short if you were already a fan of the song but it's not necessarily bad.

Can't say I agree that he's bad at acoustic performances. I'd say he's more likely to go out of tune or something but more than half the time I think he does alright if not awesome. He tends to use them to try something new a lot of the time too, which is why he's more likely to mess up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 4:27 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
As a person who had never heard the Foo Fighter's original version before,

how do you live in America and not have heard of the original version....HOW??
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 4:30 am

I don't think he's bad at all at acoustic performances! There are a ton on youtube that are incredible. sometimes his voice gets rough but it always smooths out.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
As a person who had never heard the Foo Fighter's original version before,

how do you live in America and not have heard of the original version....HOW??

Haha, I don't get out much...nah but really, I spend way too much time listening to my ipod and radio stations that only play early 90s stuff and earlier so I miss stuff.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 10:30 am

Shelby cant believe youve never heard everlong living in america Razz haha. I do like this cover by Brian, its not amazing but i did enjoy. And if its true he woke up 20 minutes before then High Five
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Yeah, this is just another kinda-not-so-good acoustic performance from Brian.

But he can pull off gems...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
thomas94
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
thomas94

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 4:25 pm

azlisa wrote:
I don't think he's bad at all at acoustic performances! There are a ton on youtube that are incredible. sometimes his voice gets rough but it always smooths out.

Agree here. That Everlong cover might not be his best cover, but seriously: it is not that bad after all Wink . As Shelby already mentioned, most parts of the singing sounded ok to me.
Back to top Go down
Raoul_Duke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Raoul_Duke

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 am

As a person who had never heard the Foo Fighter's original version before, I love it.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Just. What?!

haha, the foos are just about the only thing i love more than my own family so im stunned by that. man, you could have a whole world opened up to you here. lucky you!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

It's not just going out of tune (Which happens a lot). It's like there's this constant lack of confidence where he doesn't know where to take the melody (you'd figure after a few hundred times of playing a song he'd know what to do).
While experimenting is good, he should consider practicing some more before trying too hard to shake things up because more often than not he goes to his comfort zone: Singing notes in the HIGH tier that may not always be suitable for mellow acoustic performances.

He does have a bunch of really awesome performances but I feel like they're few and far apart. He also sometimes plays the wrong chord progression.
Back to top Go down
kappanera
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
kappanera

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2012 8:15 pm

Definitely not great this time..i kinda agree with the comments on facebook . Doesn't bother me but I always find weird since he's a pro that he seems to struggle to find the right octave in several acoustic performance.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:59 am

To be fair, he is where he is because he's a phenomenal songwriter and works hard at that, but there's certainly still room for improvement in the vocals department.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 8:16 am

I really like this cover, but what really irritates me is that it could have been alot better. So Brian: Next time, wake up another 20 minutes earlier and eat that goddamn breakfast! Okay? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
borrowedcar
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Brian playing Everlong   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2013 5:17 pm

i never understood the connection but i know alex r is a big foo fan and then i stumbled on this and it doesnt sound that bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTvUMotnkY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1   Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian covering Everlong at BBC Radio 1
Page 1 of 1