DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Elsie a masterpiece?

Go down 
+19
bringiton_ty
Holland
JimmyB
jzancan
steady now steady now
HorribleCrowe
Shrewsbury_Stars
Christophe
eagles1139
DeathoftheCool
NeverTrustAJunkie
colmillionaire
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Labhras
StitchesOnTheRadio
CluckyB
simo
zerb012345
TGAFAN25
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

Is Elsie a masterpiece? Empty
PostSubject: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 10:39 pm

I think Elsie is Brian's masterpiece... I don't think it's possible to top this record... It had no expectations and to me it feels like a complete catharsis of so many feelings that I cannot help but connect with the under/overlying vibe that the records gives out...

I don't think Brian has ever written anything that compares to this record ('59 Sound included) and I don't know if it's possible....

What does DSS think?
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Yeah. Elsie is my favorite album ever, and probably will be forever. Between Ian's guitar work/other contributions and Brian's lyrics, nothing beats it. We can only hope to see another Crowes album in the future.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 am

I loved it when it came out and now it doesn't do much for me. I don't know why.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 am

simo wrote:
I loved it when it came out and now it doesn't do much for me. I don't know why.

Agreed. There are still a bunch of good songs on it, but it strikes me more of like, something that is easy to love if you want to love it, but not actually perfect in its own light.

Still a good solid album though, don't get me wrong. But Brian's masterpiece is either T59S or an album yet to come.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 am

I think it's possibly too early to say it's the best thing Brian will ever put out. He may match it (I'd say T59S is close to it), I can't fathom what it would mean to exceed it though.

I mean, (IMHO) it's one of those pretty rare records that really has everything; excellent lyrics, interesting and powerful music, a theme or story that carries throughout, a feeling that carries throughout, songs that can exist on their own as singles, no clunkers, and I honestly can't think of a single thing that could be improved (although I doubt it's truly perfect).

That said, it's not necessarily my favorite TGA/THC record, I just think it's the most well done.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am

no
Back to top Go down
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Its all personal preference at the end of the day; it depends what you're looking for in an album. For me? I absolutely love Elsie but do I prefer it over 59? That's debatable confused ...guess I now have an excuse to go listen to both
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 4:05 pm

simo wrote:
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Nah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 5:50 pm

I'd put Sink or Swim over everything, and would put "Mae" or "Handwritten" (song) over anything on Elsie. So that's where I'm at.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 5:56 pm

i like american slang the 59 sound and handwritten just as much. it really depends on my MOOD
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 12:36 am

It does the best job of accomplishing what it sets out to be. There is no track that doesn't fit or stands out as a weak link and it's even better as a whole than as a collection of songs......I revisit it every once in a while but it's too much of a downer for me to keep it in constant rotation. I can't pick out any technical flaws in it like I can with every Gaslight album, yet I would rather listen to any Gaslight album.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 1:11 am

^^Thank you for saying what I meant to say, better than I said it. I agree 100% Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 11:09 am

I think yes Elsie could be considered a masterpiece because it contains some of the most emotionally powerful songs I have ever heard. In particular Blood Loss is devastating, the 'sirens they come, sirens they leave' at the end of the song is just so powerful and really hits you hard. Brian has a way of writing that taps into the way so many of us feel and that is why a lot of people love his music. I think pretty much every song he has written could be representative of the way I have felt and behaved at some point in my life. The Patient Ferris Wheel for example just became even more meaningful to me after a recent experience. Some lines just hit you.

I think Elsie is full of such powerful lyrics and I really hope we see a second HC album at some point in the future. It will be a big challenge for them to create something as memorable as Elsie but I think it can be done.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 11:18 am

I think Elsie's beauty comes from that fact that it was so inspired purpose-driven. This record doesn't exist because a record was due under a recording contract, it exists because Brian had demons he needed to exorcise and things he needed to say. The result was a true and haunting work of art.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 11:28 am

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
The result was a true and haunting work of art.

I think this is exactly what separates it from AS, HW, 59S, etc. etc. that it could be considered a work of art... Thus, making it Brian's masterpiece
Back to top Go down
HorribleCrowe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
HorribleCrowe

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 3:31 pm

"Brian had demons he needed to exorcise and things he needed to say."

I got the impression that was the case with him lately too (based on posts he'd made), and that is why I'm sad this solo record isn't going to happen. Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 7:59 pm

^^^^
ditto.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 2:59 pm

yes, undoubtedly; and it's in my 'greatest records of all time' list as well; and I have a test pressing /4 Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am

I think it is to date. Even though The '59 Sound is a great, evocative rock record, I think Elsie is a smarter, more diverse album, while still being just as great and evocative.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am

I like it a lot and one of my favorites, but it is not his best.
Back to top Go down
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

Elsie is in my top albums for sure. The fact that the songs seemed to strike a chord with a few things I was experiencing at the time made it seem really special to me. Another connection I have to it is that I first heard it when having possibly the best month long holiday of my life in Spain. So the songs take me back there in a way. And the songs are awesome in their own right too.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Agreed as well. This came out right after I got my heart broken by a girl, so this album really did help me cope,heal and learn to accept what happened, I am so glad it came out when it did. It was really a help to me.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 am

I am going to say yes. This album is an incredible piece of art. Definately one of my top 5 favourite albums. I dont seem to play it much in the summer, its definately one for those winter nights. Fantastic effort by Brian on this and his vocals are insanely good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Elsie a masterpiece?   Is Elsie a masterpiece? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Elsie a masterpiece?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next