DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs

Go down 
+17
DianaAntonia
janiejones
big blue
HorribleCrowe
DaleCooper
onbackstreetsinbackseats
bringiton
StitchesOnTheRadio
ral
luckyman
CluckyB
bringiton_ty
brianisbae
Klown
Shrewsbury_Stars
steph
SubconsciousRitual
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:09 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:

SubconsciousRitual wrote:
Could be. How do they not go deaf? If they're not going deaf then I won't go deaf. Laughing

my thinking too Very Happy haha......though i know it will probably catch up with me
Me too Crying or Very sad
But when I'm really old I'm just gonna crank it even louder. Even if I can't hear I'll still be able to feel it.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: or something similar is an idiot.

You really have a way with words. Are you always this angry and judgmental?

I just tell it like it is. The definition of idiot is "noun 1. Informal . an utterly foolish or senseless person". Not spending $10 to protect your hearing at a show seems pretty foolish to me. (Not to mention if you keep it up you'll literally be 'senselsss' Razz )
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Just bought 3 sets of Etymotic ER20 ETY Plugs

Hopfully money well spent
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:

Could be. How do they not go deaf? If they're not going deaf then I won't go deaf. Laughing

my thinking too Very Happy haha......though i know it will probably catch up with me
Me too Crying or Very sad
But when I'm really old I'm just gonna crank it even louder. Even if I can't hear I'll still be able to feel it.
haha priceless answer! good point and i play in a band and didnt think of that lol! my amps never past like 6 on satge with a good PA so its not bad at all. Some shows though.... i couldnt hear for a wek at a stiff little fingers show a few years back as i was literally next to a massive PA speaker at the front Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 pm

luckyman wrote:

3 sets - how many ears do you have?!

Where did you order them? I'm about to get a pair of those too.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:18 pm

luckyman wrote:

Get the extras for friends or just so you had a backup pair(s)? (Almost lost mine during the first day of fest last year... picked up a backup pair after that)
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:19 pm

CluckyB wrote:
Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003S3RFIQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHZFBH438Y5RB7QCDP0 or something similar is an idiot. They are ten bucks. That is like a third the cost of the concert ticket probably. They make the show sound significantly better so you can actually hear the instrumentation and vocals, not just sound. And you will actually be able to hear after the show. Shows are fun, but why risk perminately ruining your hearing for them?

The foam ones are crap. They simply block sound so everything you're hearing is just quieter. But those will cut out the high frequency sound that will hurt your ears (and thens to be background noise at concerts) leaving the actual music in tact.

I have a pair of these too and they're great. $10 well spent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 pm

ral wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
Anyone who goes to concerts more than once or twice a year and doesn't pick a pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044DEESS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003S3RFIQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHZFBH438Y5RB7QCDP0 or something similar is an idiot. They are ten bucks. That is like a third the cost of the concert ticket probably. They make the show sound significantly better so you can actually hear the instrumentation and vocals, not just sound. And you will actually be able to hear after the show. Shows are fun, but why risk perminately ruining your hearing for them?

The foam ones are crap. They simply block sound so everything you're hearing is just quieter. But those will cut out the high frequency sound that will hurt your ears (and thens to be background noise at concerts) leaving the actual music in tact.

I have a pair of these too and they're great. $10 well spent.
Just ordered a pair of these too. £11 but I had a £10 amazon voucher and nothing else to spend it on!
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:31 pm

markbarlow wrote:
luckyman wrote:

3 sets - how many ears do you have?!

Where did you order them? I'm about to get a pair of those too.

I knew some wise guy was going to say that Smile

Bought my wife and daughter a pair, got them from Amazon £11.99 got a free £2 music download voucher with it.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Interestingly, I find that ear plugs actually improve the sound for me at shows by drowning out a lot of distortion and background noise. It's also great to go to sleep after a show without my ears ringing.

I agree with this. My parents always made me as a kid and now that I'm older I always wear them. I can't hear anything properly when it's just this onslaught of noise. I've only used like wadded up pieces of tissue though so far because I don't have to worry about forgetting them or paying money, and they work great usually but I had one ear ringing for a day after being right next to a speaker at the Cambridge show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Interestingly, I find that ear plugs actually improve the sound for me at shows by drowning out a lot of distortion and background noise. It's also great to go to sleep after a show without my ears ringing.

I agree with this. My parents always made me as a kid and now that I'm older I always wear them. I can't hear anything properly when it's just this onslaught of noise. I've only used like wadded up pieces of tissue though so far because I don't have to worry about forgetting them or paying money, and they work great usually but I had one ear ringing for a day after being right next to a speaker at the Cambridge show.
Don't you worry that you won't be able to get the tissue out and you'll end up with tissue brain?
Back to top Go down
luckyman
A Contender
A Contender
luckyman

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:39 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Don't you worry that you won't be able to get the tissue out and you'll end up with tissue brain?

Your on fire tonight,t have you been for a pint after work!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:44 pm

luckyman wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Your on fire tonight,t have you been for a pint after work!
Nah, I've just got my Friday face on!

Also got mine from amazon for £11.99 and got the £2 mp3 credit - great 'cause I'll use it to get Teenage Rebellion.

I don't think I've got any gigs in the next few weeks but I'll try the plugs out with some loud music at home and report back.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 5:55 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Hahaha, the trick is to use little enough that it blocks enough sound (more is worse for that purpose) but enough so that it you can take it out easily. I take it out between songs so I can hear what the heck Brian's saying. Even then I usually can't hear him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:00 pm

markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Hahaha, the trick is to use little enough that it blocks enough sound (more is worse for that purpose) but enough so that it you can take it out easily. I take it out between songs so I can hear what the heck Brian's saying. Even then I usually can't hear him.

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Article-0-0839D0F5000005DC-75_468x286
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:09 pm

markbarlow wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Hahaha that's toilet paper! These are tissues....

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Tissues
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:25 pm

markbarlow wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

That's not just any toilet paper, its cashmere enriched!

But for your purposes, its basically the same thing. Unless you have delicate ear canals and like to shove Kleenex balsam in there?!
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm

markbarlow wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
markbarlow wrote:
Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

That's not just any toilet paper, its cashmere enriched!

But for your purposes, its basically the same thing. Unless you have delicate ear canals and like to shove Kleenex balsam in there?!

Haha this discussion is so strange.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Cool discussion going on here. Every show I go to I think when I'm there, I should probably look into getting some earplugs. I average about a gig every two weeks and when I move out of home it'll probably be a hell of a lot more. I just don't want them to look stupid/not be able to talk to friends/have the experience ruined.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:35 pm

bringiton wrote:
Cool discussion going on here. Every show I go to I think when I'm there, I should probably look into getting some earplugs. I average about a gig every two weeks and when I move out of home it'll probably be a hell of a lot more. I just don't want them to look stupid/not be able to talk to friends/have the experience ruined.
I don't think they look stupid but definitely understand about not wanting the experience ruined. This has been what's put me off up to now. Some of the comments above are positive re the sound being improved and I'm hoping the £12 ones I've bought will do a better job than standard foam ones (or Shelby's DIY method).

When I was at the Bruce gigs in Sweden recently I felt like I was the odd one out not wearing plugs. It seemed like almost everyone around me had a pair in.

And yea, it sounds like you go to a lot of gigs. Do your ears ring afterwards?
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:05 pm

bringiton wrote:

You're at a concert. Why do you care how they look? Assuming you're not the type of person who talks to your friends during songs you can always take them out. And unless the "experience" includes hearing damage you are not going to ruin it =)
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Also, here's another plus for wearing them. When I was near the speaker at the cambridge show (my method only cuts out some noise, not as much as it should. I lost my hearing for 24 hours in one ear. So when I got to meet the guys after the show, I could barely hear them talk. If they weren't facing me I couldn't make out what they were saying. Which is really frustrating.
Back to top Go down
bringiton
Wooderson
Wooderson
bringiton

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:13 pm

markbarlow wrote:
bringiton wrote:
I don't think they look stupid but definitely understand about not wanting the experience ruined. This has been what's put me off up to now. Some of the comments above are positive re the sound being improved and I'm hoping the £12 ones I've bought will do a better job than standard foam ones (or Shelby's DIY method).

When I was at the Bruce gigs in Sweden recently I felt like I was the odd one out not wearing plugs. It seemed like almost everyone around me had a pair in.

And yea, it sounds like you go to a lot of gigs. Do your ears ring afterwards?

I guess what I meant by stupid is some guy had some in when I was watching Dylan a month or so ago, and they made him stick out a bit and he constantly had people tapping him asking him why he had them in, and he kept on explaining himself. My ears don't usually ring, they did when I first started going but not anymore. Sometimes the bass at a gig makes my ears hurt and I cover my hearts a bit until it's not so loud, but I think this is damage happening already.

re: clucky b. That makes sense, to just take them out inbetween bands. For some reason I didn't think about that. By experience I meant the sound quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Also, here's another plus for wearing them. When I was near the speaker at the cambridge show (my method only cuts out some noise, not as much as it should. I lost my hearing for 24 hours in one ear. So when I got to meet the guys after the show, I could barely hear them talk. If they weren't facing me I couldn't make out what they were saying. Which is really frustrating.
Jesus, you lost your hearing for 24 hours?! You need a thicker ply, or maybe try quilted.
Back to top Go down
onbackstreetsinbackseats
A Contender
A Contender
onbackstreetsinbackseats

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 pm

I've been going to shows for just about 20 years now, never would I ever think to put those things in my ears. As of right now no problems just selective hearing. If you know what I mean. A friend of mine I used go to a lot of shows with always had her ears plugged with her, and at the end of the show...no ear plugs. As you get older you have to decide what is more important, I'm in pretty good shape for my age and no major health issues. I'm gonna roll the dice on this one, and put the ten bucks towards one of those cool el jefe posters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion on ear plugs at gigs   Discussion on ear plugs at gigs - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion on ear plugs at gigs
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next