DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?

Go down 
+7
jdc
StitchesOnTheRadio
NeverTrustAJunkie
prettyontheinsidex
bringiton_ty
TGAFAN25
steady now steady now
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Empty
PostSubject: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:33 am

I'm being lazy here as I don't have time to follow every individual gig topic. So what have the guys been saying before or after gigs? Have they been as relaxed and approachable as in the old days?

[if you want to discuss whether this thread is a good idea or 'shit-stirring', then go to https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4648-discussion-about-so-what-have-the-guys-been-saying-before-after-gigs]
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I hope so. I had an amazing chat with Brian before their show in 2009 at the 9:30 club, then he played 1930 for me that night with a shout out. Definitely one of the coolest moment of my life.

I think it's difficult to maintain that same demeanor though, especially as the numbers of people interested in talking to you skyrocket and it's no longer a 45 minute thing, but could end up being 2 hours or longer...

Hopefully they'll still do it when it works best for them.... I don't think I'll stick around anymore though, I had a wonderful moment and it can't get any better.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:15 pm

I hope the fan club still get offered a meet and greet Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:18 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:

I would love that. I've never met the guys. I missed my chance after the Brooklyn show and the Letterman show. I think I'm just nervous to meet them lol Although meet and greets tend to be kinda awkward because they're so formal.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:21 pm

prettyontheinsidex wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

I would love that. I've never met the guys. I missed my chance after the Brooklyn show and the Letterman show. I think I'm just nervous to meet them lol Although meet and greets tend to be kinda awkward because they're so formal.

same here. now with the added pressure they face from a bigger fanbase it would be nice to actually meet them and in a time and place they are aware of and comfortable with to meet some fans. lol id be nervous too meeting them and it feels horrible trying to approach some bands!
Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

same here. now with the added pressure they face from a bigger fanbase it would be nice to actually meet them and in a time and place they are aware of and comfortable with to meet some fans. lol id be nervous too meeting them and it feels horrible trying to approach some bands!

I know. I'm way too nervous and the webster hall show I heard the Alex's didnt really stick around, and i knew their wives and girlfriends were there so I felt like they were kinda gonna get going quickly. It's not like I've never met bands before, but I've never met bands that I liked A LOT in a less formal setting like that.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Both Alex L & Alex R hung out outside after the Webster Hall show. In fact they all did for quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:39 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

I know. I'm way too nervous and the webster hall show I heard the Alex's didnt really stick around, and i knew their wives and girlfriends were there so I felt like they were kinda gonna get going quickly. It's not like I've never met bands before, but I've never met bands that I liked A LOT in a less formal setting like that.

exactly, after shows they wanna see family so it always feels awkward!! yeah meeting bands you REALLY like is hard. Some people like Tim armstrong and Jesse from Op ivy make it easy though Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:42 pm

They are my only 2 BIG people i was so nervous meeting lol!!!
Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

exactly, after shows they wanna see family so it always feels awkward!! yeah meeting bands you REALLY like is hard. Some people like Tim armstrong and Jesse from Op ivy make it easy though Very Happy

there's always the fear that theyre gonna be like pissed off or something and totally ruin your perception of them and your liking of the band. I was afraid of that when I met Courtney Love a few years ago, but she was totally awesome. It would break my heart if something like that ever happened to me. I guess that's why I just havent waited around for them, but I'm feeling like I may totally miss my chance soon now that theyre more popular and playing bigger shows.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Yeah bigger fanbas makes this much harder for them to deal with and us to meet. Ive been burned a few times trying to meet some people and it still hurts lol.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm

I can't speak for the last month as I haven't seen them since Webster but here's what I've observed...

Alex L - If you managed to snag him before he got on the bus, he seemed to be very nice and gracious with people. I know jdc met him after Letterman and he was really nice and joking around.

Alex R. - he's friendly but doesn't talk much and seems to take advantage of when Brian is outside talking to fans because then he can stand off to the side and barely be bothered (he's smart, haha).

Benny - Easily the most fun to talk to. He'll make comments on band shirts people are wearing and discuss that band with them, he talks about being no different than any of us (and he clearly lives those words), he'll start conversation with people who clearly want to approach him but are a bit shy. If you bring chips he will steal some but then ditch you for the guy holding goldfish, haha. Basically he seems like he wishes he could do even more for us than just talk to us (but I don't know what's actually going through his head).

Brian - Same as in the past. He gives his full attention to each individual when they're speaking to him. In Cambridge he seemed in a great mood and hung out for a long time (the venue outdoor lights shut off on us), he hugged the last few people who were hanging around, and seemed very gracious. At Webster he was clearly having a bad day/was tired but he still stayed out and met with everyone who wanted his attention and was polite to them. And then when he was leaving and a kid shouted after him for an autograph he turned around and came back to sign it, without hesitation.

So basically, from what I've seen, not in articles or interviews but in person, these guys are still humble, still gracious, and still maybe a bit uncomfortable with the attention (which, remember, is perfectly okay and doesn't make them evil).
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:14 pm

proper profiles there shelby! very helpful if i ever meet them Smile benny one made me laugh. im sure they would still love to meet their fans and try but i can imagine it takes its toll night after night
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Good info there, Shelby!

I've been lucky enough to meet the guys 3 times now and they were cool every time. Hopefully, they will remain down to earth but as the fan base gets larger there will be more and more people hanging about, which will make it harder I guess.
Back to top Go down
prettyontheinsidex
A Contender
A Contender
prettyontheinsidex

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 pm

I could totally see Alex r. being like that, he doesn't seem to be the outgoing type at all. I'm glad to hear the guys are still humble. They always seem to show they really appreciate everyone. Benny always seems to be the most outgoing when it comes to fans. I alway hear about him talking to people and really going out of his way to give back.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
proper profiles there shelby! very helpful if i ever meet them Smile benny one made me laugh. im sure they would still love to meet their fans and try but i can imagine it takes its toll night after night

I gotta figure that's why sometimes some of them sneak out. Not because they're "too good for us" but because they don't have it in them that day maybe and they don't wanna go out there and accidently be rude because of something unrelated to us. I'm honestly amazed they come out and stay as long as they do. They are starting to get to a tough point though. After a show, even if they wait like an hour so the crowd dissipates A LOT of people still hang around and wait and they make sure all of them get a chance to approach them. It seemed like there were around 50 people in both Cambridge and NYC.

Word of advice, get your nerves out as best you can and then just go for it. A lot of times everyone's just standing there staring at Brian and no one approaches him. It's super awkward.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Yeah agree there shelby. should always just go for it. cant be dissapointed if they dont wana talk sometimes as you said could be taking its toll or theyre not in the mood for their own reasons. but you may catch them where they are well up for a chat. stuck around for a bit at KOKO but there were so many people stilla round i thought.....naa not gonna happen lol
Back to top Go down
jdc
A Contender
A Contender
jdc

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 5:43 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:

Alex L - If you managed to snag him before he got on the bus, he seemed to be very nice and gracious with people. I know jdc met him after Letterman and he was really nice and joking around.

Yeah, he was real nice right until he sucker punched me!

so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Dsc02010
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:54 pm

I hung around after the Koko gig in June hoping to meet the guys (mainly Brian). After waiting for maybe an hour or so Brian came out but we couldn't get near him as he had to take off in a car that was waiting. I'm not sure why he had to go actually it's probably been discussed elsewhere. I was quite disappointed not to be able to meet him even if it was just a shake of the hand and a photo. I was surprised there weren't more people waiting around after the show however it was raining and felt like November not June! After Brian left a lot of people dispersed and at a guess there was maybe 15-20 people left waiting to meet the other band members. I think Alex R came out first about 15-20 mins after Brian left and he pretty much walked straight past me and onto the bus. (I admit I was a bit nervous so didn't try and talk to him lol plus he looked like he just wanted to get on the bus anyway!) Then I think Ian came out but he pretty much left straight away. Then Benny and Alex L came out together and I managed to pluck up the courage to speak to Benny as he approached where we were standing. I found him to be a really nice guy. He was relaxed and seemed happy to speak to me. He seemed quite surprised when I told him my favourite album ever was The '59 Sound! I honestly thought he would give a couple of quick answers and move on but he stood there for a good ten minutes or so speaking to me and my mate. I got a couple of pictures with him as well.

I've got a lot of time for Benny he definitely seems like a really level-headed ordinary guy who just happens to play in a great rock band Smile I didn't really have chance to speak to Alex L. I still think I would love to meet Brian one day although I think I would be more than a little starstruck!

Basically I think the guys will always appreciate the fans and talk to them and meet them when they can, however as others have mentioned it might not always be possible for them to do it all the time and we should respect that.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Ty, I totally get ya but it's worth waiting because they often do come out even if there's a ton of people. That's the mistake I made a Letterman and boy did I regret that because clearly they were a lot of fun (see Josh's photo). I mean, who wouldn't wanna get sucker punched by Alex? Haha.

Christophe I'm sorry it turned out that way after Koko. But just remember you guys probably got one of the coolest shows of the tour! Smile But that's a real bummer. Kudos to you though for keeping perspective. You're totally right to say this...

"...it might not always be possible for them to do it all the time and we should respect that."

It's VERY important to remember and respect that. They aren't just blowing us off. Sometimes they can't hang around for whatever reason and they truly have no obligation to. If they've got 10 minutes or 2 hours to relax after a show, and they choose to spend any of that with us (when they could be with family, friends, or just sleeping) then that's a bonus.

Anyone who hasn't met them and is nervous, talk to Benny first if you can because it's like impossible to be nervous around him and that'll make it easier with the others. Smile And don't be afraid to actually chat. You could have a great conversation because most of the people around you will be afraid to chat. Me and one other girl chatted for like 10 minutes with Benny while 15+ other people stood around and watched. It felt odd but really cool. Also, forgot to add, Benny seemed downright giddy when I mentioned the Handwritten video and asked him about it being his idea. It was awesome to see him get excited.
Back to top Go down
Christophe
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Christophe

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 pm

Ty, I totally get ya but it's worth waiting because they often do come out even if there's a ton of people. That's the mistake I made a Letterman and boy did I regret that because clearly they were a lot of fun (see Josh's photo). I mean, who wouldn't wanna get sucker punched by Alex? Haha.

Christophe I'm sorry it turned out that way after Koko. But just remember you guys probably got one of the coolest shows of the tour! Smile But that's a real bummer. Kudos to you though for keeping perspective. You're totally right to say this...

"...it might not always be possible for them to do it all the time and we should respect that."

It's VERY important to remember and respect that. They aren't just blowing us off. Sometimes they can't hang around for whatever reason and they truly have no obligation to. If they've got 10 minutes or 2 hours to relax after a show, and they choose to spend any of that with us (when they could be with family, friends, or just sleeping) then that's a bonus.

Anyone who hasn't met them and is nervous, talk to Benny first if you can because it's like impossible to be nervous around him and that'll make it easier with the others. Smile And don't be afraid to actually chat. You could have a great conversation because most of the people around you will be afraid to chat. Me and one other girl chatted for like 10 minutes with Benny while 15+ other people stood around and watched. It felt odd but really cool. Also, forgot to add, Benny seemed downright giddy when I mentioned the Handwritten video and asked him about it being his idea. It was awesome to see him get excited.

Yeah it was a shame I didn't get to meet Brian but it honestly couldn't have been easier talking to Benny which is strange considering how much I admire him. Shelby you are right to say to people who are nervous to talk to Benny first. He's so easygoing isn't he? He seems like a guy who has time for any of his fans and we know from various interviews, blogs, messages etc how much he does appreciate us fans.

You're right about it being one of the best shows of the tour. It was hands down the best gig I have ever experienced Smile it was just a really amazing evening as anyone who was on this board who was there will likely tell you. Can't wait to see them in October. Smile
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh for those who want specific things, of "what they said" here's what I remember...

Cambridge & webster

Benny
-asked if we'd seen his cameo in Handwritten. He had a pony tail.
-I said I'm surprised they don't get sick of coming out to hang with us and he said he's grateful we haven't gotten sick of seeing his band.
-like some girls t-shirt with a random band i've never heard of. (sorry it was awhile ago)
-mocked Ian's accent when Ian was taking a picture with 2 British fans.
-asked my friend her opinion on frank turner's band vs solo stuff.

Alex R
-asked about the hoodie thing, he said he just wore it once and it worked. seemed superstitious about it.

Brian
-chatted baseball with a girl who works for the red sox. said he roots for them if the yankees aren't in the picture (somehow i find this hard to believe).
-lit a cigarette and said he needed to quit, I suggested replacing it with another habit, he said "like cocaine?"

disclaimer: none of this is direct quotes. and i was nearly deaf at cambridge so i couldn't hear much of anything.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 am

-lit a cigarette and said he needed to quit, I suggested replacing it with another habit, he said "like cocaine?"

I believe Brian wins life with this quote.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 4:18 pm

JackStreetcar wrote:

I believe Brian wins life with this quote.

Haha, you should have seen the horrified look on his face when I said to replace it with another habit. Then he smirked and muttered something about cocaine and I said "not another bad habit." and that's when he said "like cocaine?" (again maybe not exact quotes, my memory is fuzzy).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm

i was nearly deaf at cambridge so i couldn't hear much of anything.

Had you run out of toilet roll?

Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?   so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

so what have the guys been saying before/after gigs?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next