DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Howl' (general discussion)

Go down 
+53
Shrewsbury_Stars
steady now steady now
LizCollinsNY
Johnny 99
jzancan
mwh
MustangSally
dmckella1
Doozey
RobertODonnell
CapedAvenger
Jaws
33RPMHero
ivienco
pepperedham
NeverTrustAJunkie
brunswick18
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
FelixMA
TheContender
charlesepting
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
acousticbandit
Holland
sportshack
loazis
TGAforLIFE
CluckyB
moconnell23
user_name
simo
NYYFAN523
Breanne
JJW319
White Man In Hammersmith
Yozzy
Christophe
pleasepassthesoup
Jerseyrain
mingus
Midnight Rambler
saltandburn1967
Afzoomie67
HighLonesome
stephendgaf
CasanovaBaby90
infoghost
StitchesOnTheRadio
A_Regular
brianisbae
eagles1139
SouthJerseyTGA
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Doozey
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Doozey

'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 am

What do you mean "Desire" is only filler? I bet you actually meant Biloxi Parish. Wink 

I love how differently people feel about Handwritten. I feel it's the weakest release of TGA, but sometimes it still hits the spot. I don't dislike it, please note. I just feel it's the least coherent of their albums. SoS had this feel of urgency to most of it, '59 Sound had this nostalgic and lively sound, AS has some attitude, Senor and the queen had blue jeans and white t-shirts, and Handwritten I feel tried to go too many directions. It just didn't feel like its own album, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 am

CapedAvenger wrote:
Add me to the growing list of folks surprised at that comment about Howl.

It's probably my second favourite track off Handwritten, after HCMM.
I recently realised that i might prefer Mae over Howl. Defo top 3, though.
Back to top Go down
dmckella1
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 12:25 am

Homework Assignment because it blew my mind when my friend pointed this out to me.

Read the lyrics to Thunder Road, and then read Howl. Common theory is it's an attempt at a sequel, discarding the either that Thunder Road ends happily. Check it out, curious to hear what you all think.
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 10:32 am

dmckella1 wrote:
Homework Assignment because it blew my mind when my friend pointed this out to me.

Read the lyrics to Thunder Road, and then read Howl. Common theory is it's an attempt at a sequel, discarding the either that Thunder Road ends happily. Check it out, curious to hear what you all think.
It's not on this thread, but it's certainly been discussed here in the past.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 3:21 pm

CapedAvenger wrote:
dmckella1 wrote:

....holy shit
Back to top Go down
MustangSally
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MustangSally

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm scratching my head over the Desire hate.....some people are so critical lol it's a fun great little song, it gives me a rush of energy. Same with Howl! I actually really love Biloxi Parish too ....my only qualm with the album is Sliver but it's a deluxe edition track so the fact that it is totally out of place can be overlooked I suppose. I love Handwritten and honestly feel like there is no filler on it.....I can't say with full confidence that, IMO, there are any Gaslight filler songs. 

The album I had the hardest time with was American Slang tbh....after '59 sound it felt like it was almost a little too clean and sounded kind of....slow.....but in time I bonded with it and grew to really love it. The Queen Of Lower Chelsea (it's just so plodding) bores me a bit but some of the lyrics in it elevate it for me.
Back to top Go down
mwh
A Contender
A Contender
mwh

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 am

So I figured "Howl" had to be a Ginsburg reference, but I can't actually see much crossover in the lyrics...
Back to top Go down
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Mike_Millburys_Shoe wrote:
CapedAvenger wrote:
dmckella1 wrote:

....holy shit
I tell a lie. It wasn't discussed, as such, but i made a similar observation in the following thread:

https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t605p120-complete-gaslight-song-artist-references-list#155587
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 am

Wow, interesting theory. And it fits well.

But to me, there's only one sequel to Thunder Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drTFxkMeVhw
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2014 9:52 am

jzancan wrote:
Wow, interesting theory.  And it fits well.

But to me, there's only one sequel to Thunder Road:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drTFxkMeVhw
And what a phenomenal song that is, too. Not heard that version before, only the one on the album that shares its name.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 am

Just heard Howl in a Nissan commercial.
Back to top Go down
Johnny 99
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Johnny 99

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:50 am

Great song.
Back to top Go down
LizCollinsNY
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Harry Lime wrote:

Was just about to say the same thing. Jolted me out of my mundane commute!
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:35 pm

LizCollinsNY wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Was just about to say the same thing.  Jolted me out of my mundane commute!

Do they even get to approve this stuff or is this just one of the benefits (ahem) of being with a major label?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 12:39 pm

steady now steady now wrote:
LizCollinsNY wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Was just about to say the same thing.  Jolted me out of my mundane commute!

Do they even get to approve this stuff or is this just one of the benefits (ahem) of being with a major label?

Gaslight still owns their songs so yes, they would have signed off.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 10:56 pm

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7E1Q/2015-nissan-altima-holiday-bonus-cash

Here is the link to the video. I've had a few beers tonight and thought I was either going nuts or my iTunes was playing when the Nissan commercial came up on NESN. Sounds really weird with the sleigh-bells mashed up...
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 7:42 pm

thanks for the link
Back to top Go down
BossTime
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
BossTime

PostSubject: Nissan commercial   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 12:06 am

Sitting here watching Sunday night football on NBC and they just played a Nissan commercial with Howl as the song! Pretty random but pretty cool. I've heard a few of their songs over the years as segues during football games to commercials. Anyone else see the commercial or any others with gaslight songs?
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 3:23 pm

BossTime wrote:
Sitting here watching Sunday night football on NBC and they just played a Nissan commercial with Howl as the song! Pretty random but pretty cool. I've heard a few of their songs over the years as segues during football games to commercials. Anyone else see the commercial or any others with gaslight songs?

I moved your post over here because people have been discussing it in this thread.
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 pm

I also heard howl recently in the closing credits for the movie 21 and over
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:14 pm

So Nissan also used a song called Howl by a band called Beware of Darkness. Wonder what's up with that theme.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 8:17 pm

BossTime wrote:

Casanova, Baby! years ago.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm

This frustrates me, I feel like Howl and Helter Skeleton are perfect Gaslight singles. 1,000 Years, Rolling and Tumblin, Here Comes My Man...they're really good songs but I feel like there are other ones they could use that have more staying power and more of a "punch"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Howl' (general discussion)
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4