DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Howl' (general discussion)

Go down 
+53
Shrewsbury_Stars
steady now steady now
LizCollinsNY
Johnny 99
jzancan
mwh
MustangSally
dmckella1
Doozey
RobertODonnell
CapedAvenger
Jaws
33RPMHero
ivienco
pepperedham
NeverTrustAJunkie
brunswick18
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
FelixMA
TheContender
charlesepting
redheadchick
OldManShoes3
acousticbandit
Holland
sportshack
loazis
TGAforLIFE
CluckyB
moconnell23
user_name
simo
NYYFAN523
Breanne
JJW319
White Man In Hammersmith
Yozzy
Christophe
pleasepassthesoup
Jerseyrain
mingus
Midnight Rambler
saltandburn1967
Afzoomie67
HighLonesome
stephendgaf
CasanovaBaby90
infoghost
StitchesOnTheRadio
A_Regular
brianisbae
eagles1139
SouthJerseyTGA
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 am

OldManShoes3 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
"Like I waited on your call and made plans to share my name"

Just got that line. Wow. Makes the song even better. Seems to me its probably about the girl in Spirit of Jazz (the wife of his youth) which I've always thought is Anna given the repeated references to the 'cool'.

I think I'm missing something what exactly does that line mean?

Brian was planning on marrying her (share his name). Its the whole "a thief stole my heart while you were making up your mind" all over again =)
Back to top Go down
OldManShoes3
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
OldManShoes3

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:37 am

CluckyB wrote:
OldManShoes3 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Just got that line. Wow. Makes the song even better. Seems to me its probably about the girl in Spirit of Jazz (the wife of his youth) which I've always thought is Anna given the repeated references to the 'cool'.

Brian was planning on marrying her (share his name). Its the whole "a thief stole my heart while you were making up your mind" all over again =)

Ah gotcha that was pretty obvious. But yeah those two lines definitely seem connected, that's one of my favorites from HLAYK. This song was already a 10/10 for me but that just made it a little bit better.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:41 am

OldManShoes3 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
OldManShoes3 wrote:
CluckyB wrote:

Ah gotcha that was pretty obvious. But yeah those two lines definitely seem connected, that's one of my favorites from HLAYK. This song was already a 10/10 for me but that just made it a little bit better.

Haha that's part of why Gaslight is such a special band. There are not a whole lot of other bands out there where you can already love a song and then discover another bit that makes you love it even more. And Gaslight has tons of those songs Smile
Back to top Go down
TGAforLIFE
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
TGAforLIFE

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 am

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Holland wrote:
sportshack wrote:
has anybody else noticed that brian has got considerably fatter over the last four years?

Yes its especially noticeable if you watch him now and compare it to Hyde Park footage, too much time off from touring i think.

haha i was thinking just the opposite. life on the road is tough!

Ha, you can really tell in the footage from Old White Lincoln in the New York footage. He has a bit of a belly I must say. It is very noticeable when he does that weird spin with the mic. Haha

It's probably because he has enough money now to eat a proper meal! Haha, I look back at like the hyde park videos and i'm like "jeez he's almost sickly thin". He does have a bit of a belly like Chris said but I think he's lost a bit of it between like march and now.

He needs to hire Springsteen as a personal trainer so that he can do what Bruce is doing now um, now. Haha, Bruce would smoke him in a race which is not good considering Brian's half his age, but I can't talk because I'm a third of Bruce's age and he'd smoke me in a race too.

And to get back on topic. Howl is growing on me big time! It's quickly rising toward being one of my favorites on the album, which I didn't think it would. I loved Brian's hand moves at Webster Hall with this song, haha.

Brian needs to quit smoking... if he hasn't yet. I've heard that's bad for your health.

But, yes, it's quickly becoming my favorite too. Smile But, seriously...HOW CAN YOU PICK A FAVORITE??!!! haha

edit: Okay...you said favorites. So, maybe like top 5, or top 7?? Smile
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:27 pm

I think Brian should get back into boxing, he'll be back in shape in no time!

And to keep this on topic, Howl has been playing everyday for me since I got the album. I can't get enough Cool
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
redheadchick
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm

What is he saying in the spoken word part?
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 pm

redheadchick wrote:
What is he saying in the spoken word part?

Sound of cars, rushed out rain in the boulevard, in this city by the sea that has always haunted me but belonged to somehow. Bless your waters and your doubts. Bless your waters. Bless your doubts.
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 pm

TGAforLIFE wrote:
StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:
acousticbandit wrote:
Holland wrote:
sportshack wrote:
has anybody else noticed that brian has got considerably fatter over the last four years?

Yes its especially noticeable if you watch him now and compare it to Hyde Park footage, too much time off from touring i think.

haha i was thinking just the opposite. life on the road is tough!

Ha, you can really tell in the footage from Old White Lincoln in the New York footage. He has a bit of a belly I must say. It is very noticeable when he does that weird spin with the mic. Haha

It's probably because he has enough money now to eat a proper meal! Haha, I look back at like the hyde park videos and i'm like "jeez he's almost sickly thin". He does have a bit of a belly like Chris said but I think he's lost a bit of it between like march and now.

He needs to hire Springsteen as a personal trainer so that he can do what Bruce is doing now um, now. Haha, Bruce would smoke him in a race which is not good considering Brian's half his age, but I can't talk because I'm a third of Bruce's age and he'd smoke me in a race too.

And to get back on topic. Howl is growing on me big time! It's quickly rising toward being one of my favorites on the album, which I didn't think it would. I loved Brian's hand moves at Webster Hall with this song, haha.

Brian needs to quit smoking... if he hasn't yet. I've heard that's bad for your health.

But, yes, it's quickly becoming my favorite too. Smile But, seriously...HOW CAN YOU PICK A FAVORITE??!!! haha

edit: Okay...you said favorites. So, maybe like top 5, or top 7?? Smile

He hasn't quit. When I talked to him in Boston I told him I knew he could do it. Then I suggested replacing it with another habit. He looked horrified and said "cocaine?" and then smirked. He enjoys it too much. I don't think that habit is going anywhere anytime soon.

And I can't pick less than like 7 favorites either! Howl took awhile for me to like beyond just "it's all right" but I love it now and it's stuck in my head like every morning. I think Brian's hand moves and stuff during the Webster Hall show helped win me over. They amused me.

Back to top Go down
charlesepting
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:49 pm

This has become one of my all time favorite gaslight songs, can't get over how perfect it is.

That said, does anyone hear a similarity to Warbrain by Alk Trio?
Especially (in my mind at least) "Like you waited on his call" sounds like the "When we hit the ground running on empty" part of Warbrain. Just something I noticed.
Back to top Go down
TheContender
A Contender
A Contender
TheContender

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 8:44 am

This is def one of those songs that I'm not a fan of on the album but translates well live. Like most of American Slang. Not a fan of a lot of songs on there, but I do like them live. More of the magic of this band.
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 12:55 pm

charlesepting wrote:
This has become one of my all time favorite gaslight songs, can't get over how perfect it is.

That said, does anyone hear a similarity to Warbrain by Alk Trio?
Especially (in my mind at least) "Like you waited on his call" sounds like the "When we hit the ground running on empty" part of Warbrain. Just something I noticed.

Similar melody, sure.
Back to top Go down
CasanovaBaby90
A Contender
A Contender
CasanovaBaby90

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Can't wait to hear this live, still. After watching that video of it live at Webster hall -- well, I wish I was in that crowd.
Back to top Go down
FelixMA
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
FelixMA

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm

No one had posted this on this thread so I thought I'd chuck it up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8d2Z2ShcOA

15:30, so excited to hear them perform this at Leeds Festival this friday!
Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 am

Does anyone have any idea what "Bless your waters, and your doubts" means?
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 pm

rem999 wrote:
Two years later and Howl is basically just remembered as filler.

I might be in the minority, but I really like Howl.
Back to top Go down
brunswick18
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
brunswick18

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Howl is an amazing song
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I used to skip over Howl but now that I've seen it played live a few times, I actually like it a bunch.
Back to top Go down
pepperedham
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
pepperedham

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:17 pm

I fucking love Howl. It's one of my favorite songs to crank in the car, it feels like a giant refreshing blast of wind during that second verse.

I'm thoroughly enjoying both RnT and Get Hurt. Get Hurt is winning but only slightly.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:19 pm

What?! I love Howl and it makes me dance every time I hear it, no matter where I am...
Back to top Go down
33RPMHero
Wooderson
Wooderson
33RPMHero

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Howl is one of my favorite Gaslight songs. I've liked it since the first I heard it.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 pm

rem999 wrote:

Shocked 

Isn't that one of the unanimously loved songs off that album?

Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:29 am

To call Howl "filler" is bizarre. Great song!

Haven't listened to Get Hurt for almost two days, time for another go I think! Blew me away first time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
CapedAvenger
Wooderson
Wooderson
CapedAvenger

PostSubject: temp   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 7:23 am

Add me to the growing list of folks surprised at that comment about Howl.

It's probably my second favourite track off Handwritten, after HCMM.
Back to top Go down
Yozzy
A Contender
A Contender
Yozzy

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Howl is one of the only tracks on Handwritten I can listen to regularly.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Mike_Millburys_Shoe wrote:
rem999 wrote:

I might be in the minority, but I really like Howl.

I'd be willing to bet the person who posted that actually meant "Desire".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Howl' (general discussion)   'Howl' (general discussion) - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Howl' (general discussion)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next