DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum

Go down 
+5
StitchesOnTheRadio
Breanne
IrishNameAndAnInjury
steady now steady now
Harbortown
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Empty
PostSubject: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 am

Considering the fact that all pages lock and reset after 50 pages, a lot of pictures are lost in the ever expanding ether of DSS.

I suggest we have one thread where people post their pictures, with the first page being a sorted list of them so that people can quickly navigate through it and see what our posters look like, if they want to. Seeing as I have no life anyway I can volunteer and look through all the previous threads to gather all the pictures.
Furthermore, we'd have a second thread meant solely for the discussion of the pictures. This way the picture thread wouldn't get swamped as quickly and it'd be easier to have an overview of the pictures.

I've seen this feature on other forums and it's very handy and convenient. Thoughts? Opinions? Frying pans?
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:00 am

Harbortown wrote:
Considering the fact that all pages lock and reset after 50 pages, a lot of pictures are lost in the ever expanding ether of DSS.

I suggest we have one thread where people post their pictures, with the first page being a sorted list of them so that people can quickly navigate through it and see what our posters look like, if they want to. Seeing as I have no life anyway I can volunteer and look through all the previous threads to gather all the pictures.
Furthermore, we'd have a second thread meant solely for the discussion of the pictures. This way the picture thread wouldn't get swamped as quickly and it'd be easier to have an overview of the pictures.

I've seen this feature on other forums and it's very handy and convenient. Thoughts? Opinions? Frying pans?

Ouch. I hadn't realised there was a 50 page limit, and I can't find a corresponding option, though I do now that auto-pruning has at least been disabled.

Your idea sounds fine and I am glad you may have found something that will at last give you a purpose in life. Do you have a link to one of the other forum examples? Can people not simply be asked to (re)post pictures in the new thread?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 am

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on another forum.

Spoiler:
As you can see, the picture thread has only reached 14 pages whilst the discussion thread is almost reaching a thousand. I just think it's a cleaner, better system.

Sure, I suppose people could repost pictures if they want to! But you get the hang of the idea, right?

Last edited by Harbortown on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 am

58 views and 2 replies. Come on, do you guys not have an opinion on this?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 11:11 am

Harbortown wrote:

I like your idea. It would be a lot easier to have a thread where only pictures were posted so we didn't have to read through all the comments at the same time if we didn't want to. But since I haven't posted a picture, I don't think you're looking for my opinion anyway... tongue Razz
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 11:27 am

Harbortown wrote:
Frying Pan frying pan
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:20 pm

this makes a lot of sense
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

I like your idea. It would be a lot easier to have a thread where only pictures were posted so we didn't have to read through all the comments at the same time if we didn't want to. But since I haven't posted a picture, I don't think you're looking for my opinion anyway... tongue Razz
hahah

Yeah I REALLY WANT you to post a picture but right now I'm just interested in improving the quality of the forum, haha.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Breanne wrote:
Harbortown wrote:
Frying Pan frying pan
A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum HJaM2
Back to top Go down
Breanne
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Breanne

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Hahaha, no I agree that it would be a good idea
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xripped_kneesx
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Good!

As it would seem we have a concensus on this, I'm gonna start the thread soon. Right after dinner.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm

I like the idea, but feel that if people want to have the pictures in a separate thread they should post them there themselves.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Alright, I've created the picture thread
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4354-post-a-picture-of-yourself#128732

and the discussion thread
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com/t4355-picture-discussion-thread

I would suggest making them stickies and un-stickying the old picture thread.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:12 pm

I would say you jumped the gun and created these too fast (I'm not saying its not a good idea) I think Camus is right you can't take peoples photos and just move them into the open with out their permission. They should move them/post themselves in this new thread .

That way If they decide they don't want their photo up they can delete it themselves. Instead now they have to contact an admin to go into your post and delete it.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Debonair wrote:
I would say you jumped the gun and created these too fast (I'm not saying its not a good idea) I think Camus is right you can't take peoples photos and just move them into the open with out their permission. They should move them/post themselves in this new thread .

That way If they decide they don't want their photo up they can delete it themselves. Instead now they have to contact an admin to go into your post and delete it.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

But they must not care since they already posted pictures of themselves in a PUBLIC forum. How is it more harmful this way than the other way?
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:16 pm

The thing is, in the few hours that the thread has been up it's gathered 153 views.

Nobody, except you two, had anything negative to say about the idea, which in my opinion is an indicator that the vast majority had nothing against it. If someone wants their picture taken down all they gotta do is say it. It's not like it's the end of the world, come on.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:17 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
But they must not care since they already posted pictures of themselves in a PUBLIC forum. How is it more harmful this way than the other way?

I agree with Chris. The photos are already there, so I don't see the harm in it.
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Just because someone hasn't posted something against the idea doesn't mean that they're automatically for it. It goes both ways.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:18 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:

Not entirely true. Believe it or not some people post stuff and have later regretted it, or others have posted personal information about other users on the forum and (the owner of said info) has asked me to remove it. Hey...some times you just post stuff and you regret doing so...
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Camus wrote:
Just because someone hasn't posted something against the idea doesn't mean that they're automatically for it. It goes both ways.
What are you saying?

People were just too scared to say anything? Lighten up dudes. It's a public forum, and they posted their pictures themselves.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Debonair wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Not entirely true. Believe it or not some people post stuff and have later regretted it, or others have posted personal information about other users on the forum and (the owner of said info) has asked me to remove it. Hey...some times you just post stuff and you regret doing so...
If they wanted their pictures removen from this website entirely they would have done so themselves.
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Debonair wrote:
saltandburn1967 wrote:

Anyone can search the forum and find those photos though. They would be gone if for some reason the person didn't want them up and John would not have been able to find them. People can look through all my posts on my profile and find every picture i have put up on here. I am just not getting how searching for someones name and finding their picture is different from just having every picture on one thread.
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Camus wrote:

Yeah the one thing I've learned is alot of people on here just don't say anything and are actually against it. That's why you should usually give stuff like this a day or two before jumping ahead and doing something. Patients is a virtue....
Back to top Go down
Camus
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Camus

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Camus wrote:
What are you saying?

People were just too scared to say anything? Lighten up dudes. It's a public forum, and they posted their pictures themselves.

I'm saying that a lack of negative response doesn't imply that you would have got a positive response had there been one. You can't use number of views to judge this anyway, I've looked at this thread probably 20 times to read the posts. They're not unique views so the number of people that have actually read the thread is minimal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum   A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A suggestion for the Introduce Yourself forum
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next