DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set

Go down 
+24
Debonair
NeverTrustAJunkie
steady now steady now
RobertODonnell
Harbortown
ThisMachineKillsFascists
Álvaro
poormrpitiful
Matilda Noir
J.B.R.
jzancan
Phil Rockabill
IrishNameAndAnInjury
riversedge
The M
Sinngh
waltzingseñora
MKULTRA
loazis
simo
JimmyB
Jerseyrain
JJW319
LuceroDiehard
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm

just finished listening to (almost) the whole thing... didn't finish all of the songs.

favorite tracks are from Gaslight and Bad Religion. both just kick ass. i also really liked Maroon 5's "I Shall Be Released." sue me Smile

i was kinda disappointed by My Morning Jacket. Dylan's original vocal on "You're a Big Girl Now" just blows Jim James' attempt out of the water.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 10, 2011 7:34 pm

As Bad Religion is my favorite band, I'm listening to their contribution first. I fucking love it and I haven't even heard the Bob Dylan original. So catchy, so uplifting, so energetic!

Gaslight's contribution is alright but nothing that catches me particularly.
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 1:48 am

Is it just me, or does this sound like it could be left over from the iTunes Session?
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 4:02 am

Harry Lime wrote:
Is it just me, or does this sound like it could be left over from the iTunes Session?

thinking the same thing
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 5:53 am

WingsForWheels wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

thinking the same thing

yes, but ... they either knew then that there would be a mega Dylan tribute album or they just happened to record a Dylan song and then said 'hey, we've got one for that album'
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 6:19 am

Sounds great. Have you ever heard Eddie Vedder do Masters of War? I remember seeing this back when they did it (because I am old). http://gozie.com/video/39GAH46A1YX3/eddie-vedder-mike-McCradybob-dylan-masters-of-war
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 11:14 am

listenign now... yeahhhh
Back to top Go down
JJW319
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
JJW319

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Harry Lime wrote:

Yeah it has a similar feel. Excellent cover.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Stream the song here

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2012/01/song_of_the_day_changing_of_th.html

Song of the Day: 'Changing of the Guards,' the Gaslight Anthem

"Changing of the Guards," from Bob Dylan's 1978 "Street Legal" album, is one of those mysterious Dylan songs I've never gotten much of a handle on. "It means something different every time I sing it," Dylan himself once said. " 'Changing of the Guards' is a thousand years old.

But I was inspired to grapple with it a bit by the version of it by the Gaslight Anthem that will be included on the upcoming album, "Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International."

The Gaslight Anthem's singer, Brian Fallon, has a rough-edged voice that really works well on Dylan's lyrics, which have an almost Biblical stateliness to them (with mentions of "merchants and thieves, hungry for power" and "mountain laurel" and "long golden locks," and so on). The song seems to be about a soldier who has fallen in love and is renouncing his profession after a long, tempestuous battle ("Sixteen years, 16 banners united over the field").

As Dylan sang elsewhere, the times they are a-changing:
Back to top Go down
http://bobbyw24.tumblr.com/archive
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Bobby! Changing of the Guards sounds incredible and I think that song was a good fit for TGA. I kind of like that they did a bit of a more obscure song rather than say, Blowin' in the Wind or LARS. Very, very cool.
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Thanks for posting the link, Bobby! Changing of the Guards sounds incredible and I think that song was a good fit for TGA. I kind of like that they did a bit of a more obscure song rather than say, Blowin' in the Wind or LARS. Very, very cool.

You're welcome.

I'm lovin' it
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Man if you told me that was a gaslight song I would totally believe it(yes I know influenced and stuff) they nailed that song.

You always fined the coolest stuff bobby. I see you have a birthday coming up this week so happy early bday man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LuceroDiehard
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
LuceroDiehard

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Debonair wrote:
Man if you told me that was a gaslight song I would totally believe it(yes I know influenced and stuff) they nailed that song.

You always fined the coolest stuff bobby. I see you have a birthday coming up this week so happy early bday man Very Happy

Thanks Debonair. I appreciate it.

When I started here, I posted like mad--too many new threads.

Now I just try to stop by a few times a week and post better quality stuff.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Has anybody bought this album yet? I plan on it soon, I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions after hearing it.
Back to top Go down
AngryJohnnyN1930
A Contender
A Contender
AngryJohnnyN1930

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Just bought this album and I find it absolutely staggering. I think it's a must own.

I was surprised too to find Miley and Kesha on there but honestly, they're not bringing their usual routines, I think they understand there are some big acts present and their songs are actually pretty legit.

I still haven't listened to everyone yet, I've been pretty stuck on Gaslight's song, wow... just whoa. I can understand their song choice. Leave it to the boys to be surrounded by all these great musicians and still stand out like they do. I may be a little bias, but honestly, in my opinion their song is the best one.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 am

Didn't really rate this cover after the first few listens, but I absolutely love it now. After listening to this album I'm finally beginning to see why Dylan is considered the greatest songwriter of all time.
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 am

some really good covers on here, even like miley cyrus' cover Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am

I'm glad to hear how much you guys are liking this album! I think I'll pick it up after I get paid on Friday. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Addicting....Not sure about the rest of the CD though
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 pm

As much as I love Gaslight, QOTSA'S cover of Outlaw Blues definitely hold the throne for best track on the album in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Labhras
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Labhras

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 pm

i've been listening to it loads this last week. i love it.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:52 pm

cheers I thought Sinead O Connor's song was one of the best! I also liked:TGA, Seal, Patti Smith, We are augustines, Adele, and who knew Evan Rachel Wood could sing like that Smile
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:56 pm

Matilda Noir wrote:
cheers I thought Sinead O Connor's song was one of the best! I also liked:TGA, Seal, Patti Smith, We are augustines, Adele, and who knew Evan Rachel Wood could sing like that Smile

Have you seen the movie Across the Universe? Evan Rachel Wood sings a lot in it and she has a beautiful voice.
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:22 am

Besides Gaslight's song I like the one Nils Lofgren sat in on, and the Kris Kristoferson version of the Mighty quinn.
Back to top Go down
Matilda Noir
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Matilda Noir

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Matilda Noir wrote:

Have you seen the movie Across the Universe? Evan Rachel Wood sings a lot in it and she has a beautiful voice.

No I have never seen that movie, I know it's Beatles related. I'll have to check it out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set   Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stream: Gaslight Anthem "Changing of the Guards" on Dylan Tribute CD Set
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next