DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS

Go down 
+10
built2last25
thebiglebowski
moodydan
ltj98tom
PFREEZY
e7c
Down by the Mersey
Shrewsbury_Stars
kcdc
J.B.R.
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaslight-Anthem-Sink-Swim-First-Press-Black-100-/140536899418?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item20b8a6e75a
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 pm

What do you mean by confirm?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/kcdc
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

that it's not a moissanite
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Um it looks legit, best thing to do is contact the seller, maybe get the seller to send extra photos?

I'm curious as to what that sticker in the left corner of the cover says.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

I know several dimestore saints are looking for this. I hope one of you gets it (without paying a fortune).
Back to top Go down
Down by the Mersey
Wooderson
Wooderson
Down by the Mersey

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Ha ha the irony. This was the last record I needed for the full set before my sale! Hope this goes to a good home with a fellow dimestore saints member.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/bosshugo
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 pm

I'll be going after it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:55 pm

I sent the seller the following e-mail:

I am one of the admins on www.dimestoresaints.com (The Gaslight Anthem Fan Forum) and I also have a copy of the SOS on black so I have been asked to validate that this is a legit 1st pressing. Can you please post the following:
1) What are the etching numbers and phrases written on the vinyl near the center of the record.
2) Could you post/email me a picture of the back of the record jacket
3) Could you post/email me a picture of the center of the record
4) What is written on the bottom of the spine of the jacket

If the record is legit I will gladly vouch for it on www.dimestoresaints.com thread about this auction (which should increase the amount it goes for)

If the info is wrong I will obviously post that too

If I don't here from you I will post that you chose not to answer and will post that anyone should only purchase this with extreme caution.

Thanks, and obviously I am hoping this record is legit!

Scott aka e7c
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:59 pm

When I compared my black SOS to the other copies I have I found at least 10 things that need to match up to be a legit copy. With over 4 days left in the auction this record is already going for over $100! So obviously I will not post about what the 10 features I noticed are.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:32 am

Let us know if he gets back to you.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
ltj98tom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Guys I am the one selling this record on ebay.

If you have any questions about this record I will gladly answer them here. I've received a lot of messages and if i can eliminate some by answering them here I will gladly do it.

I will answer all of the original email questions later when i get home and have the record in front of me.

Some quick things.

I am the original owner of this record. I bought it off of xoxo records when it first went onsale. I believe the first two colors that went onsale were black and the other was a white/pink swirl color. I went with the black. It has been played a couple times when i first got it but otherwise has been sitting on my shelf with the rest of my records.

The stickers on the picture.
The stickers are on the plastic protector. When i got the record it did not have a sleeve so i just threw one on it. Thats a planes mistaken for stars cover. just happened to be the one i put on it. There are no pictures on the actual sleeve.

Last note. honestly had no idea this would cause this much intrest. I knew it was limited and they were popular but didnt realize it was to this extent (fan forum and all) Im not doing this to capitalize on the market or whatever ive just come into some financial stuff and am selling a lot of records i would rather not sell. this being one of them. so uhh check out my other auctions too. I will do my best to answer all of your questions.

can i post pictures on this forum?
Back to top Go down
J.B.R.
A Contender
A Contender
J.B.R.

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 am

Please let us know. I'm curious when about what you said, that it met your 10 item criteria or you didn't bother looking for it since the price is over $100?
Back to top Go down
moodydan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

Seeing this record pop up, which doesn't happen too often, begs the question: how much is too much? How much is fair? And most importantly, if you wanted it, how much would you be willing to pay for it?
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm

moodydan wrote:
Seeing this record pop up, which doesn't happen too often, begs the question: how much is too much? How much is fair? And most importantly, if you wanted it, how much would you be willing to pay for it?

(1) How much is too much? When I was looking for this record, someone offered it to me for $500. I thought that was WAY too much so I declined.

(2) How much is fair? That's a tough one. One could argue that a fair price is whatever the market commands. I paid slightly over $200 for mine on Ebay and I personally thought that was a fair price. I think the highest this record ever sold for on Ebay was $280 (last June I think). If you go to popsike or collectors frenzy, you can see the prices this record has sold for over the years. That can help you decide what you think is a fair price.

(3) How much would I be willing to pay? I was willing to go up to $300. To be sure, I DON'T think it's worth that much but I desperately wanted it to complete my collection (and TGA vinyl is one of the few hobbies that I tend to splurge on). Thankfully, I didn't have to go that high.
Back to top Go down
moodydan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 pm

I agree with you on all points! I guess how much is fair can be mixed up with how much you're willing to pay, but I think I'm like you in that I'm willing to pay a little more for it than what people may generally think it's worth. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
thebiglebowski
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:56 pm

I was the first person to ebay a copy of this. Got about $175. Felt a little guilty about that at first, but I took that $175 and reinvested into 15 more records so I helped out 15 smaller bands who aren't selling as well as Gaslight.

At least that's how I justify my flipping it...
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

I paid a little under $200 for my copy but I bid as high as $250. I think it's the only record that I'd pay that much for, especially with the numerous times I bid on it and lost.
Back to top Go down
ltj98tom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 7:48 pm

since he posted the questions i dont see why i cant post the answers here also. This is exactly what i sent him over messages on ebay. I guess this will also prove im the person actually selling the record.

1. Whats the dill
get back to work

2/3. https://imgur.com/a/NVjEL#09ruk

4. HBR14-1 (i think this is what you wanted. It it was something different let me know)

also added a picture of the front out of the sleeve to prove there are no stickers on it
Back to top Go down
built2last25
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
built2last25

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 pm

is there a huge amount of counterfeit sos black copies popping up out there that i am unaware of? not quite sure why this is causing such a stir, these come up on ebay every few months.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Obviously the seller has emailed me back (as he is now posting here) and yes, everything adds up... this is a legit copy!
Back to top Go down
ltj98tom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
kcdc
A Contender
A Contender
kcdc

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 12:39 am

built2last25 wrote:
is there a huge amount of counterfeit sos black copies popping up out there that i am unaware of? not quite sure why this is causing such a stir, these come up on ebay every few months.

I don't think that's the case. It's more likely that when you're dropping that kind of money, it doesn't hurt to ask a few questions to verify the authenticity.

Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 am

built2last25 wrote:

No, actually I don't know of a single counterfit copy; however, I have seen people claim to be selling a 1st pressing and then get sent a 2nd or 3rd pressing... When I first bid on a SOS 1st Press pink/white swirl I was sent a teal green 2nd pressing. The reason I originally questioned this auction is that all of the identifying features that I know of (other than being black vinyl) could not be seen in the picture.

As for price of this record... I would say that this record is a better investment than an Elvis collectable plate... I got my copy for $100 almost 2 years ago and I have seen it go for over $250 (right before American Slang came out). I know the idea of paying 100-250 for a record sounds steep for some, but for someone that is a TGA fan and Vinyl fan, then it is worth every penny!

On a side note, if you think that paying this much is really ridiculous listen to this... I won the auction for the SOS autographed Test Pressing a few years back... I paid $353 for it. I had it customed framed for another $300. I also have a black SOS ($100) and a Pink/White ($50) a clear version and another color that I can remember ($15 each)... so I have spent atleast $830 on this album...
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Holy crap! It sold for $407.62!!!!!

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p4340.l2565&item=140536899418

Is anyone here the buyer?
Back to top Go down
Gaslight23
Wooderson
Wooderson
Gaslight23

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I was winning at $375 then my internet crashed Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS   Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone confirm? - 1st press SOS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next