DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Song Live?

Go down 
+18
Ens
GraveRobbers
DaveSavedTheDay
big mike
Perry
mrklenrd
chickenman
Grant Michael
simo
CluckyB
NeverTrustAJunkie
fullcollapse
Jay
Luca Chinaski
enola
Bea
tgatom
loazis
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:18 am

Personally, I think Angry Johnny and the Radio. I love how Brian mixes up the lyrics and adds new stuff to the performance. It keeps the song fresh. He did this to "Bring It On" at the Area 4 Festival (saw it on youtube). Loved the spoken word intro.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:17 pm

Patient Ferris Wheel for me, just fucking insane.

But everything is amazing so it's inevitably arbitrary I guess.
Back to top Go down
tgatom
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
tgatom

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 pm

I'd put forward the argument for Diamond Street.
Back to top Go down
Bea
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Bea

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Drive was the best at the show i went to
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:50 pm

don't make me choose - it's impossible! I find something great in just about every song Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
Luca Chinaski
A Contender
A Contender
Luca Chinaski

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Backseats, I think.

Last edited by Luca "Hank Chinaski" on Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pearljamonline.it/

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 5:15 pm

This is way too hard to choose. Depends on the venue, what i been listening to. The vibe at the show also has lot to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Jay
A Contender
A Contender
Jay

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:21 am

Cowgirls.

Watch.

Be Amazed.

Wish I was there lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5KwlD6wGf8&feature=related
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:40 am

So far, either Backseats of Great Expectations. Leaning toward GE because I have never not tasted blood in my throat after that song. I save my screaming for that one, every time.

By the way, Hi Jay, I most likely live up the street from you a little ways!
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:45 am

oldgospelchoir wrote:
This is way too hard to choose. Depends on the venue, what i been listening to. The vibe at the show also has lot to do with it.

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:32 am

Yeah, I think any given night any song could be the best. But I find the SoS songs tend to be better live because a lot of the hard core fans really love those and go crazy for them, creating an all-around better live experience.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:39 am

CluckyB wrote:
Yeah, I think any given night any song could be the best. But I find the SoS songs tend to be better live because a lot of the hard core fans really love those and go crazy for them, creating an all-around better live experience.

I get so bothered when they break out an old one and a bunch of kids just turn into statues. It's sad... I mean, I've only been a fan since T59S, but I looked back at what they had done before I got into them. Even when I see a band that I haven't been hugely into forever and they start playing old songs, I at least show that I enjoy it. Same with bands I haven't even heard before and am seeing for the first time (then again, for those shows, I'm rarely right up front with the diehards). I don't know why some people act like the band is singing in Russian if they play a song they don't know.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 am

Quote :
I get so bothered when they break out an old one and a bunch of kids just turn into statues.

Maybe I'm always upfront and so don't notice, but I've never had this problem with Gaslight.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 am

CluckyB wrote:
Quote :
I get so bothered when they break out an old one and a bunch of kids just turn into statues.

Maybe I'm always upfront and so don't notice, but I've never had this problem with Gaslight.

I've noticed it a few times. Never a show ruiner, though; just awkward. It's usually younger girls who are guilty of it.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:04 am

We're all guilty of it though. Nobody's a hardcore fan of every band they go see. I saw The Hold Steady recently. Sang along with the songs I knew, kept quiet on the ones I didn't. Of course I didn't turn into a statue and stop moving, but the intensity is definitely different.
Back to top Go down
fullcollapse
Wooderson
Wooderson
fullcollapse

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:08 am

simo wrote:
We're all guilty of it though. Nobody's a hardcore fan of every band they go see. I saw The Hold Steady recently. Sang along with the songs I knew, kept quiet on the ones I didn't. Of course I didn't turn into a statue and stop moving, but the intensity is definitely different.

That's actually been my experience with two recent THS shows. I love them, but I don't know everything. Doesn't stop me from dancing. I guess being how I am I can't fathom looking so bored, especially when everyone else has a lot of energy that I can feed off of!
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:27 am

CluckyB wrote:
Quote :

I felt like I was the odd one out during some SatQ songs being the only one jumping around and singing along with Wherefore... :/ As if everyone thought it was a new cover song or something.

Was weird with Blue Jeans as well, a song that speaks of brotherhood (at least to me) but none was experienced that night.
Back to top Go down

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

One thing that i noticed when I saw em last night, some of the people around me knew every word to songs from AS but were clueless when they played songs from Sink or Swim...it really bothered me for some reason.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 am

loazis wrote:
CluckyB wrote:
Quote :

I felt like I was the odd one out during some SatQ songs being the only one jumping around and singing along with Wherefore... :/ As if everyone thought it was a new cover song or something.

Was weird with Blue Jeans as well, a song that speaks of brotherhood (at least to me) but none was experienced that night.

I think a lot of people don't know about the EP. I met a guy recently who had all of their albums but didn't even know it existed.
Back to top Go down

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:48 am

i love this songs live:

she loves you, there was only one other guy around me knowing the song when tga played it live in vienna this year
old white lincoln: normally not one of my fav songs, but live it's pure fun
meet me by the river's edge, of course, it's my very most fav song^^
we came to dance.

a song i definitely want to hear live from tga: we did it when we were young, would be awesome
Back to top Go down
Grant Michael
A Contender
A Contender
Grant Michael

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 am

CluckyB wrote:
Yeah, I think any given night any song could be the best.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've seen TGA twice this year; once in Detroit w/ The Hold Steady, once in Chicago two months later. I thought that "Cowgirls" was the weakest song of their set in Detroit. I thought "Cowgirls" was the strongest performance in Chicago.
Back to top Go down
chickenman
A Contender
A Contender
chickenman

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Luca "Hank Chinaski" wrote:
Backseat, I think.

+1.

IF YOU NEVER LET ME GO, WELL I WILL NEVER LET YOU DOWN
Back to top Go down
mrklenrd
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mrklenrd

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:39 pm

REDD84 wrote:
He did this to "Bring It On" at the Area 4 Festival (saw it on youtube). Loved the spoken word intro.

If i'm correct i'm pretty sure he's quoting Thin Lizzy's - The Boys Are Back In Town

1:19-....

God i miss Phil Lynott, best Irish rock artist by a mile...

As for the Best Live Song, it changes alot, I love Alex R's playing style on Old Haunts though
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/mrklenrd
Perry
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 7:37 pm

I'da Called you Woody, Joe with the Stand by me intro. Also the jams ( intro to Film Noir and some others) are great. Usually around other bands I'm not so much about the instrumental but more focused on the vocals, but when it comes to Gaslight Anthem; they could do nothing but play I'd still stick around enjoying every minute of it.
Back to top Go down
big mike
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought spirit of jazz was excellent in belfast and a good opener too !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best Song Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Song Live?   Best Song Live? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Song Live?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next