DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS

Go down 
+26
Shrewsbury_Stars
katiehughes22
Jay
Little Eden
azlisa
amberfoyd
sav
bish
Shake Shake Senora
SmilinSkullRing
TGAFAN25
willie56
Sebastiano
steady now steady now
dermyod
PFREEZY
loazis
drifter69
Jeff
acousticbandit
Holland
jzancan
simo
MCStevepants
vamike
kuruptlon
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Empty
PostSubject: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:00 am

I don't know if this needed its own thread or not but I really would like to know why this song wasn't on the album, IMO its the best song on the album with the possible exception of The Diamond of the Church Street Choir.

If anyone has any thoughts please share them.

Also if anyone has an opportunity to ask Brian or the band I'd really like to know.

I realize itunes asks for bonus material and stuff but I'm just surprised they would choose to leave this off the actual album. I mean I just bought the album in BB and the album doesn't have this song on it. Thats too bad for people who don't know its a bonus song because they will miss out.
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am

it's a great song, but it wouldn't fit on the album like at all.
and btw, fuck itunes
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am

I disagree I think it sounds great as a closer to the album.
Back to top Go down
MCStevepants
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
MCStevepants

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:04 pm

I think it fits between Old Haunts and Spirit Of Jazz.

Brian probably wanted a shorter, 10 track album.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:08 pm

Alex R. said he fought hard to keep a song off the album because it was so different. I have no idea if he was talking about this one or not...

Anyways, Apple must give a pretty good deal to get all these exclusive bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 pm

I would have liked it as a closer, after We Did It When We Were Young. I think She Loves You juxtaposes We Did It When We Were Young in a really cool way (albeit it a bit unexplainable, which is just how music is sometimes). I think its because the message of She Loves You, to me, is essentially "it may work out, it may not, we don't know." So following an album largely built around a theme of better times being gone and a seemingly bleak horizon, its sort of like a wink wink from Gaslight, saying "but hey, it could get better." The tone of the music is more of an upbeat, bar-sing-along song, although the lyrics aren't actually that positive. If I were having a conversation with American Slang, She Loves You included, it would go something like:

AS: "I had high hopes and things just didn't turn out. Its not as good as it was before, and it doesn't look like it gets any better. just gotta deal with it."
Me: "Well, you never know, it could turn out alright"
AS: [considers the thought, and then, with an appeasing shrug] "maybe."

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Holland
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Holland

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeh agree with that , would have been a good closer, have they played it live yet?
Back to top Go down
acousticbandit
Wooderson
Wooderson
acousticbandit

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Holland wrote:
Yeh agree with that , would have been a good closer, have they played it live yet?
brian played it at the most recent court tavern show and also on Q104.3.

man this song is so good. i listened to it 8 times in a row the other day.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:22 am

I think it's actually because Brian talked about how personal everything on the album is, while this song is more of a story about two characters, Romeo and Juliet. So while it's clear that the band likes the song (or at least Brian does, since he's played it solo) I just think that they think it wouldn't have meshed with the lyrical content of the rest of the album.

Maybe?
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 am

should be on the album just before "we did it when we were young".
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 am

I think it's best as a bonus track.

I don't really see it match with the rest of the album personally.
Back to top Go down
kuruptlon
A Contender
A Contender
kuruptlon

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 am

jzancan wrote:
I would have liked it as a closer, after We Did It When We Were Young. I think She Loves You juxtaposes We Did It When We Were Young in a really cool way (albeit it a bit unexplainable, which is just how music is sometimes). I think its because the message of She Loves You, to me, is essentially "it may work out, it may not, we don't know." So following an album largely built around a theme of better times being gone and a seemingly bleak horizon, its sort of like a wink wink from Gaslight, saying "but hey, it could get better." The tone of the music is more of an upbeat, bar-sing-along song, although the lyrics aren't actually that positive. If I were having a conversation with American Slang, She Loves You included, it would go something like:

AS: "I had high hopes and things just didn't turn out. Its not as good as it was before, and it doesn't look like it gets any better. just gotta deal with it."
Me: "Well, you never know, it could turn out alright"
AS: [considers the thought, and then, with an appeasing shrug] "maybe."

Nice post, bar-sing-along song, is the perfect way to describe it. It sounds like a song a bunch of drunk irish men would be screaming out hammered drunk at some bar slamming pints of guinness.
Back to top Go down
PFREEZY
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 11:03 am

I really think they were going with a 10 track album.
Back to top Go down
http://freezy.tumblr.com
dermyod
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:31 pm

it is a super track should have made the album
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

I used to think that it didn't quite go with the rest of the songs, but when I listened to the album straight through again today on my walkman, I thought it worked really well as an album closer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sebastiano
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Sebastiano

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 6:33 am

steady now steady now wrote:
I used to think that it didn't quite go with the rest of the songs, but when I listened to the album straight through again today on my walkman, I thought it worked really well as an album closer.

The best album closer is WDIWWWY..
She loves you is a beautiful song..i would put between Queen and Orphans...Track n.6
how we said..quiet before the thunder !!
Back to top Go down
willie56
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:20 pm

I completely agree with Matjaz.

The first time I heard She Loves You, after having pretty much memorized AS, I immediately thought "this should've been on the album, right after Queen and before Orphans".
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 7:24 pm

id like to see it after bring it on.... itd kind of be an answer lyrically to bring it on
Back to top Go down
vamike
Wooderson
Wooderson
vamike

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 3:20 am

still don't think it would fit on the album after listenig to it a lot. better than most of the songs on the album though
Back to top Go down
SmilinSkullRing
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SmilinSkullRing

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 4:48 am

Yeah, this song should have made the album. It's definitely my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing
Shake Shake Senora
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 pm

simo wrote:
Alex R. said he fought hard to keep a song off the album because it was so different. I have no idea if he was talking about this one or not...

Anyways, Apple must give a pretty good deal to get all these exclusive bonus tracks.

Interesting. If it wasn't She Loves You then i hope we'll at least hear this "different" song as a b-side.
Back to top Go down
bish
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 4:13 pm

this song is more like their earlier work, recorded acoustic it easily fits on sink or swim
Back to top Go down
sav
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
sav

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 4:43 pm

brian talked about this in an interview i read recently:

Quote :
Is it ever hard to filter out a song and let it go?
Oh sure. Sometimes you have something good. Especially the extra track we had this time. It was fighting to be on the record so it was tough to be sober about the whole thing and say “Look, this song doesn’t exactly fit so well with the rest of the songs and the other songs communicate with each other in a very organic way and this one feels like it’s a little different.” A lot of bands put out b-sides, where it’s like they’re half-finished demos. I don’t want to buy a half-finished demo. So we try our best not to do that. Usually songs get cut pretty early in their life. If we feel like a song isn’t holding its weight then it just goes away and most of the time it doesn’t show up again. Most of the time we just cut it clean.

heres the full interview if anyone's interested in reading it:
http://www.hearsay.cc/reviews.html
Back to top Go down
amberfoyd
A Contender
A Contender
amberfoyd

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:59 pm

rkirkpatrick25 wrote:
id like to see it after bring it on.... itd kind of be an answer lyrically to bring it on

agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twiter.com/amberfoyd
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 8:35 pm

i think its a really good song, but nowhere near a favorite. maybe it didn't fit with the overall theme of the record. Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Confused
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS   Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why wasn't "She Loves You" on AS
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next