DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NYC release show (2010) poster

Go down 
+3
Johnny99
Shrewsbury_Stars
steady now steady now
7 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

NYC release show (2010) poster Empty
PostSubject: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:51 am

Here is El Jefe's NCY release show poster (a follow up to his 'Brian at the Black Cat' poster):

NYC release show (2010) poster Tn74
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Very Cool. I like how the poster reflects the proper name for the venue rather than calling it the "Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza". Thankfully, the owners have wised up and are restoring the original name at the end of the month. From today's NY Times:

Rethinking, Irving Plaza Keeps Its Maiden Name

Irving Plaza is about to become Irving Plaza again.
Since the late 1970s the club, at Irving Place and 15th Street, has been one of Manhattan’s rock landmarks, the place where stars like the Police and the B-52s had early gigs, and countless fans had their first toss in a mosh pit.
It continues to be one of the city’s premier performance spaces, but three years ago it got a mouthful of a new name as part of a nationwide branding campaign by its owner, Live Nation. It became the Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza, and its hulking marquee on Irving Place was replaced with a newer, smaller one.
But the new name never caught on with fans, and now, bending to what it says has been unrelenting demand, Live Nation is restoring the old name and installing a replica of the old marquee. The first show at the new Irving Plaza will be on June 23, with Taking Back Sunday, a Long Island emo band.
“It’s always going to be Irving Plaza in New Yorkers’ minds,” said Kevin Morrow, president of Live Nation’s New York division. “That’s where the mistake was made: taking a name and putting it on a building that already had a history and emotional ties with the local music scene.”
The change is a rare admission of misjudgment by Live Nation, a giant worldwide promoter. But since the company merged with Ticketmaster this year, its every move has been scrutinized, and Mr. Morrow — who began running Live Nation’s operations in New York a few months after the name change — said the restoration of the old name was part of a companywide effort to improve its image.
“The mantra at this company now is fan-friendly and band-friendly,” he said. “Since the merger we’re finding our way.”
Irving Plaza became the Fillmore in April 2007 as part of a plan by Live Nation to create a network of clubs named after the Fillmore in San Francisco, where Bill Graham got his start. (Graham’s New York outpost, the Fillmore East, was open from 1968 to 1971.) The Theater of the Living Arts in Philadelphia also got the Fillmore name, as did the historic State Theater in Detroit.
While that branding effort continues elsewhere, in Philadelphia the new name lasted barely a year. Many in the music industry wondered when New York would follow suit.
“Changing the name of Irving Plaza to the Fillmore is as silly as changing the name of Carnegie Hall,” said Andrew Rasiej, who owned the club from 1989 to 1997. “There’s a certain energy, a karma, that lingers in a venue long after the lights have shut down. The renaming was a failure of recognizing how quintessential that karma is to the experience people have when they come together for a show.”
For many fans Irving Plaza is hallowed ground, and for years it had seemed one of the few spots with enough renown to avoid a rebranding. Its history runs deep. Before it was bought by the Polish Army Veterans Association of America in 1948, it had been a Yiddish theater and a burlesque house, and big, big names have appeared there: Woody Guthrie and Lead Belly sang at hootenannies in the 1940s, and Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, the future Pope John Paul II, spoke there on a visit in 1976.
With a capacity of about 1,000, Irving Plaza was perfect for rock bands on their way up, and by 1978 promoters began booking it for punk and new-wave shows. Since then, taking the stage at Irving Plaza has become a rite of passage for young bands, and superstars like Bob Dylan, U2 and Prince have often borrowed it for impossible-to-get-into — and thus publicity-generating — concerts.
“I’ve been going to shows there for such a long time, and I’ll never forget the show we did in 2002 there,” Mark O’Connell, the drummer of Taking Back Sunday, wrote in an e-mail message. “It was such an insane show and for me, one of the first times I realized that people really seemed to care about our band.”
To build a replica of the old marquee, Live Nation hired Ken Lubin, a graphic designer who specializes in signs for Broadway theaters. (He removed the original Irving Plaza marquee in 2007 when he installed the new one for the Fillmore, which he made.) It wasn’t easy, Mr. Lubin said, because the old one had been left in an alley behind the club, with chunks of it missing. But there was just enough to serve as a model for its stainless-steel letters and red neon lighting.
“They wanted it to have the look and feel of what it was prior to changing it over to the Fillmore,” Mr. Lubin said.
Mr. Morrow, 56, a former artist manager and executive at the House of Blues chain — which was bought by Live Nation in 2007 for $350 million — said that fans, musicians and people in the music business had never stopped lobbying him to return the club to its old name, and that he was happy to oblige them.
“Since I’ve been here I haven’t had anyone say to me, ‘What a great idea that was,’ ” he said, referring to the Fillmore name. “Almost everybody I talk to in the New York music scene, one of their first experiences was at Irving Plaza. And I’m really excited to be able to bring back to the New York music scene what people have overwhelmingly desired.”
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 2:35 pm

a) that poster is fucking awesome.
b) hah, its always been irving plaza, always will be. i have never heard anyone ever call that place the fillmore.
i have been to so many absolutely incredible shows there.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:43 pm

the poster is so amazing i cant say how awesome it is in fear of being banned due to offensive language. so will be in line all day for this one.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:45 pm

Johnny99 wrote:
a) that poster is fucking awesome.
b) hah, its always been irving plaza, always will be. i have never heard anyone ever call that place the fillmore.
i have been to so many absolutely incredible shows there.

I'll never forget my first show there was Pennywise on the About Time tour in 1995 . . . epic.
Back to top Go down
shack3000
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
shack3000

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 6:46 pm

Any info on where to grab some posters for Gaslight? I have some Hold
Steady and Tom Waits show posters up in my office at school (I'm a high
school teacher), and several students have gotten into them after seeing
them and asking about them. Anyway, I'd love to add Gaslight into my
mix, and I'm new around here, so any info would be welcome.
Back to top Go down
IKeeptheDiner
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
IKeeptheDiner

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:16 pm

shack3000 wrote:
Any info on where to grab some posters for Gaslight? I have some Hold
Steady and Tom Waits show posters up in my office at school (I'm a high
school teacher), and several students have gotten into them after seeing
them and asking about them. Anyway, I'd love to add Gaslight into my
mix, and I'm new around here, so any info would be welcome.

this one is going to be available at the release show. less than 100. El Jefe (the man in charge of the posters has a site you can buy some off of if they're any extra after the show. heres a link to the store he has. look through, maybe there are still some left over from past shows.

http://www.eljefedesign.com/storemain.html

good luck!
Back to top Go down
davew

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 am

My first gig at Irving Plaza was Dead Kennedys in 1979.....most recent ,Buzzcockx a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 1:13 pm

davew wrote:
My first gig at Irving Plaza was Dead Kennedys in 1979.....most recent ,Buzzcockx a few weeks ago.

I bet you would have been pretty surpised to know in 1979 that you were going to see the Buzzcocks at the same venue more than 30 years later!
Back to top Go down
Johnny99
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:59 pm

davew wrote:

haha, oh you were there for the bomb scare in union square.
hahah, which ended up just being extra gas cans in the back of a landscapers car who was at the buzzcocks show. i heard they made some kind of announcement at the show.
sucks though, the bomb squad smashed out all that dudes windows and such. what a pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
swampdevil
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
swampdevil

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:04 pm

They actually interupted in the middle of a song and had Pete Shelley read off a lic plate # !! Of course the landscaper turned out to be from New Jersey !! .....we had a good laugh over that.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:04 pm

that poster rules!
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC release show (2010) poster   NYC release show (2010) poster Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NYC release show (2010) poster
Page 1 of 1