DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

American Slang album - personal reviews

Go down 
+50
Sinngh
IKeeptheDiner
NDTGA
A_Note_And_A_Rose
bringiton
e7c
Holland
sundaygirl
rem999
Reinvent good times
SheaPaddyPower
Ivefoundgod
Light This City
Stalls_Standing
number the fat cats know
verbos
loazis
Hawk
Angry Johnny
benalgeroy
StreetsRunRed
Vibes
Jeff
massie1903
shipbuilding
Jukebox Romeo
CluckyB
steph
xstevenbx
tdawg
Chris
MCStevepants
joe
kieran
stephendgaf
drifter69
vamike
MKULTRA
RobertODonnell
colmillionaire
curly
rhg5010
Jay
simo
Casey
rikerd21
Palmer89
Bigtittykitty
Jack
steady now steady now
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:14 am

We Did it When We Were Young is my favourite song so far, it's really grown on me.

But does anyone think there is going to be a bigger build up near the end? I think it would be great if there's a b-side for it that is longer, or that they add an extra verse/instrumental for the live version Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 am

Have to say, Stay Lucky has grown on me hugely, can't help signing along and got that catchyness that 59' sound had. Not the best on the album but in the top half definatly, loving it.

Still don't like WDIWWWY, I do think the start of the album is a little better than the 2nd half, not by much though.
Back to top Go down
massie1903
A Contender
A Contender
massie1903

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm

It's all a beautiful ride that ends with a song leaving you wanting more. They just seem to get better and better!
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

I really like it. I don't want to go through all of the songs, but I think my three favorites are:

Diamond Church Street Choir
Bring It On
We Did It When We Were Young
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Well, I've had second thoughts about the album and the scores I gave in my original post in this thread ...

... because its even better than I first realised American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_cheers

So here are my revised scores [old scores in brackets]:

American Slang 9/10 [8/10]
Stay Lucky 10* [8/10]
Bring It On 9/10 [9/10]
The Diamond Church Street Choir 10/10 [9/10]
The Queen of Lower Chelsea 8/10 [8/10]
Orphans 8/10 [7/10]
Boxer 9/10 [6/10]
Old Haunts 10* [10/10]
The Spirit of Jazz 9/10 [8/10]
We Did It When We Were Young 9/10 [8/10]

As you can see, I had to introduce a 10* score. Also, 'Boxer' is the main climber.

Overall, having initially said that the album was on a par with the earlier two, I am now inclined to say it is probably better, simply because of its musical variety.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Stay Lucky/Boxer have really grown on me, the intro to Boxer didn't connect with me at first but it's over before you know it and into the song.

Only song I still don't know about it We Did it When We Were Young, still not feeling it.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm not going to bother with the rankings, because I know that they'll change every time I listen to it, pretty much, and also because I couldn't for the life of me even hum Stay Lucky or the Spirit of Jazz. That doesn't meant they are in any way bad; I really love all the songs on the album.

The band progressed a whole lot this album, and I definitely into a place that I can really get behind. Stylistically it's a bit of a scattershot. So far it doesn't seem to have the very cohesive feel of the '59 Sound, but that does go to show that they could go a couple directions on the album.

The biggest stand out to me is Old Haunts, which pays great tribute to the older songs (the last line really makes it for me). The Diamond Church Street Choir is deliciously catchy and lyrically quite awesome. Bring it On is way awesome, We Did it When We Were Young is epic, the list goes on.

Really I just love it all and I think I'll grow to love it more and more after hearing it more and seeing them live again...

I'll probably write something more in depth when I hear it a few more times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 pm

Further from the sound of Sink or Swim than ever. But I do like the album, and it also sounds different from the 59 sound too. Lyrics are generally very good. I think most of them will go down well live too. I've not got much bad to say about the record actually. The only thing I will say is that I really hope the already meagre amount of SoS material that they play doesn't become further diminished by them wanting to play these new tracks too.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 pm

I hope they open sets with Bring It On and end sets with Orphans.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
StreetsRunRed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StreetsRunRed

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm

This album is definitely more Rhythm & Blues inspired, while Sink or Swim more punk, and '59 Sound being hometown rock. That being said, to me this album will take some time to grow on me. As opposed to Sink or Swim, and '59 sound to some extent; which I loved the first time I heard it. I do appreciate that this album is more raw-sounding that '59 sound, absolutely love the guitar recording.
I will still be listening to their older stuff much more, but I know American Slang will grow on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/tstoothoff
benalgeroy
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
benalgeroy

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:32 am

I was also real hesitant about listening to the album before getting the official copy, but it was to hard to avoid.

The album is really really wonderful. From first listen it got me and it keeps growing on me. I am already connecting with it. It seems almost more soulfull then ever, and has a really great mix of fast paced songs and slower, rhtythm & blues type stuff. The album is definitely different in certain respects but is also classic Gaslight Anthem at the same time, they found a great balance and variety. Favorite tracks so far, Diamond church street choir and Stay lucky are up there.

Hard to say yet if it beats the previous albums, but it is definitely giving me the same great feeling as those did.

I cannot stop listening to this album, good job boys!
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 am

well, this album has started to grow on me and there are some great tracks, but i dont understand what everyone sees in TDCSC. i just dont get it...i think it's one of the weakest tracks. what am i missing? im pretty familiar with the whole new brunswick night/bar scene and i get the song, but i just dont think it's that great. def not one of the better tracks like most people think. idk..maybe i will grow on me, but i doubt it.
Back to top Go down
jeffrey2

PostSubject: Put it Down   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 am

Really into the album, have tracked through it several times. I think I will need to move away from it for awhile, I burnt myself out quick with the 59 Sound. I will get it on Vinyl and CD when pre-orders go out. Listened to Jesse Malin's new album and will have on vinyl on Tuesday. Recommend it. American Slang is a continuation of the 59 sound, sort of like 21'st century breakdown for Green Day from American Idiot. THis is not a bad thing. To me AMerican Slang succeeds most is because it feels like they just went to the studio with raw emotion, from Brian's vocals to Alex guitar playing, and most noticibly the rhythm section of Benny and Alex really shine. Stay Young is probally my favorite track. Can't wait to have the phyical copy. Support your musicians, everyone buy this.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 am

Angry Johnny wrote:
well, this album has started to grow on me and there are some great tracks, but i dont understand what everyone sees in TDCSC. i just dont get it...i think it's one of the weakest tracks. what am i missing? im pretty familiar with the whole new brunswick night/bar scene and i get the song, but i just dont think it's that great. def not one of the better tracks like most people think. idk..maybe i will grow on me, but i doubt it.

Man, I can't explain it. It's by far my favorite and probably my favorite TGA song bar none at the moment. The bounce it has, the catchiness, the lyrics, the local feel, the incredible vocals, the snapping...it all comes together for me, man. Sorry you don't dig it, but for me it's just the best.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:00 am

jeffrey2 wrote:
American Slang is a continuation of the 59 sound, sort of like 21'st century breakdown for Green Day from American Idiot.

we're clearly on a different planet, as I found 21st utterly forgettable, only a continuation in a 'really bad outtakes' kind of way

while American Slang is thankfully not a break with what came before, it's a progression, rather than mere continuation
Back to top Go down
StreetsRunRed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StreetsRunRed

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:22 am

Even though I don't rate this album as highly-as of now- I am very excited to hear it live. I fell that after hearing the raw essence of the song played live, I"ll appreciate it more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/tstoothoff
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:26 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Angry Johnny wrote:

Man, I can't explain it. It's by far my favorite and probably my favorite TGA song bar none at the moment. The bounce it has, the catchiness, the lyrics, the local feel, the incredible vocals, the snapping...it all comes together for me, man. Sorry you don't dig it, but for me it's just the best.

I think it's one of Brian's best vocals. Ever.
Back to top Go down
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:36 am

yeah, no complaints on the vocals whatsoever. i just dont really care for the song much and im surprised by how many people do. oh well, it's just me i guess.
Back to top Go down
Hawk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:23 am

I'm not even a big fan of TGA, but this whole situation pisses me off because of the sheer amount of independent releases that the douchebag leaked.

And unlike what his last.fm page (now gone) may have suggested, he's not a fan of TGA. He wrote on a forum that no one would care about the leaks because they were "just shitty indie albums." He's a fan of utter shit like Kid Cudi, Lady Gaga and Lil' Wayne.

His name is Alexander Kip Kerschner, he's 16 and from the Netherlands, and has a douchey haircut. Here's a link to his facebook profile:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alexander-Kip-Kershner/735033423

Loving the irony that he's a fan of "Petition to Shorten Lil' Wayne's Jail Time," since he's now a criminal himself.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 am

Hawk wrote:
I'm not even a big fan of TGA, but this whole situation pisses me off because of the sheer amount of independent releases that the douchebag leaked.

And unlike what his last.fm page (now gone) may have suggested, he's not a fan of TGA. He wrote on a forum that no one would care about the leaks because they were "just shitty indie albums." He's a fan of utter shit like Kid Cudi, Lady Gaga and Lil' Wayne.

His name is Alexander Kip Kerschner, he's 16 and from the Netherlands, and has a douchey haircut. Here's a link to his facebook profile:

https://www.facebook.com/people/Alexander-Kip-Kershner/735033423

Loving the irony that he's a fan of "Petition to Shorten Lil' Wayne's Jail Time," since he's now a criminal himself.

you posted that in another thread as well and it really doesn't belong here
Back to top Go down
Hawk
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 3:45 am

Well, there isn't really a specific to put it. I just want this fucker's name to be revealed to everyone - hopefully someone in the Netherlands who can take matters into their own hands.
Back to top Go down
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:58 am

I like it, I can't really get into We Did It When We Were Young though. The first time I heard it had such a nice buildup and I was thinking 'this might top The Backseat as an albumcloser for me'.

But then it just ended :/

I was hoping for some sort of epic eruption of awesomeness but the song was just simply over. Gave it a few other listens, along with the whole album, and it's not like I hate it, but it would have been such a better song for me if it had some sort of 'harder' part. Not necessarily very loud or hard, but if the song just packed a bit more of a punch I would have thought of it as amazing I think.

Overall, I really like the album. I'm not completely blown out of my seat by it, but it's solid, upbeat and seems very positive to me despite of the serious and dramatic nature of some of the lyrics :]
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 am

Hawk wrote:
Well, there isn't really a specific to put it. I just want this fucker's name to be revealed to everyone - hopefully someone in the Netherlands who can take matters into their own hands.

What do you mean by "take matters into their own hands?" We're music fans, not anti-piracy vigilantes. Your crusade doesn't amount to a hill of beans. The kid leaked some albums. Yeah, it's a rough deal, but if it can be taken care of in the legal system, it will. It's not like he was robbing orphans or sending Al-Qaeda checks in the mail. Nothing he did is worth people doing cruel things to him or his family, and none of us have the authority or right to 'take matters into our own hands.' It's not our music, it's not our place.
You may not like what he did, but internet harassment and the e-mob mentality rarely ends well, so I'd just let it go.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
verbos
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
verbos

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Well, getting back to TDCSC... it really reminds of Casanova, Baby! in that it makes me feel like dancing on rooftops. I think Brian's voice sounds great in it, and you can tell he's pushing it and trying some new things. Everyone sounds like they're really pushing it on this album to me, and that's pretty exciting.
Back to top Go down
number the fat cats know
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 12:18 am

I love the entire album. The sound is different in a very good way, I do kind of miss all the gruffness of Brian's voice in SoS and '59S though. I still absolutely love the new album.

American Slang 8.5/10
Stay Lucky
7/10
Bring It On
10/10
The Diamond Church Street Choir
10/10
The Queen of Lower Chelsea
9/10
Orphans
7/10
Boxer
9.5/10
Old Haunts
10/10
The Spirit of Jazz
8/10
We Did It When We Were Young 8/10

The intro to Boxer is absolutely killer. And I love all the new chorus lines in the background, very Springsteen-esque.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Slang album - personal reviews   American Slang album - personal reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

American Slang album - personal reviews
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next