DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang

Go down 
+13
StreetsRunRed
divoz
Daire
Jack
curly
Ryan
Jeff
El Jefe
Shrewsbury_Stars
CluckyB
drifter69
thecosmickid
steady now steady now
17 posters
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Empty
PostSubject: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 4:39 pm

I found these four critical reviews of American Slang on one site. While critical, I found the comments interesting, as they show how non-fans who aren't TGA-haters see the band, as well as what their misconceptions are.

http://www.reviler.org/2010/05/19/the-gaslight-anthem-american-slang-review-four-takes/
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
thecosmickid
Wooderson
Wooderson
thecosmickid

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Why does everybody think they're rich?
Back to top Go down
drifter69
Wooderson
Wooderson
drifter69

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:26 pm

laughed at someone named paul's comment on there lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.mafiamusic.proboards99.com
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I like how all the guys don't really have reasons for not liking it. They are just like "American Slang fulfills all of the bad stereotypes that the band seemed to mostly avoid on their last record". Except for the Richard Gill guy, whose complaint was that they didn't just take the easy way out and rewrite T59S. The guy who is so out of touch with reality that he thinks most Gaslight fans shop and hot topic and Brian swims in cash was probably the best =P
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting these.

I never understood people who think that an artist forfeits his or her right to credibly create art touching on working class issues simply because they've attained a level financial success. This is like arguing that a book about baseball should not be taken seriously because the author doesn't currently play the sport . . . silly.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 6:31 pm

I sorta agree / sorta disagree. On the one hand, music is still music and good music is still good music. On the other hand, music has a strong psychological part to it. Knowing the real story behind 1930 made me enjoy that song far more. A blue-collar working album songs a lot better when coming from guys like Gaslight than Bon Jovi simply because Gaslight is far more relatable. Basically, I don't think "Oh this artist has no credability on this subject it isn't work listening to" is the right attitude to have, but I also don't think it is wrong to say "Oh this artist *has* credability, so I enjoy it more".
Back to top Go down
El Jefe
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:09 pm

I don't know the financial success the band has gained but I will say they are not "rich." They work their assess off and deserve what ever financial gain they get from it. Saying they sold out, lost their cred, no longer relatable because of their success is short sighted. far too many great bands have broken up because they could not pay the rent playing guitar. I truly hope the band makes millions of dollars, play huge stadiums, and get more money than Bruce because it means they can keep putting out incredible music instead of returning to construction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eljefedesign.com
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm

El Jefe wrote:
I don't know the financial success the band has gained but I will say they are not "rich." They work their assess off and deserve what ever financial gain they get from it. Saying they sold out, lost their cred, no longer relatable because of their success is short sighted. far too many great bands have broken up because they could not pay the rent playing guitar. I truly hope the band makes millions of dollars, play huge stadiums, and get more money than Bruce because it means they can keep putting out incredible music instead of returning to construction.

Amen.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 5:37 pm

God, the standards for "selling out and becoming rich" sure are low when you can do it while on an independent record label.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 5:56 pm

I don't care what any reviews say, I love this band and will continue to listen to em till the day I die.
Back to top Go down
Ryan
A Contender
A Contender
Ryan

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Anyone else getting tired of hearing Springsteen and TGA in the same sentence?

Every single one of those reviews mentioned Bruce. I'm a massive fan of his but surely these people realise the comparisons have been made many times before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:47 pm

i agree. the Bruce thing needs to stop
Back to top Go down
curly
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 11:41 pm

oldgospelchoir wrote:
i agree. the Bruce thing needs to stop

It never will. I really don't think that sound like Bruce anymore than other bands that play rock/punk stuff, but the fact that they are from NJ already dooms them to the Springsteen comparisons (not to mention the lyrical references and his guesting w/ them). They are their own band and hopefully will eventually have an identity all their own in the national conscience, but they will never get out from under his shadow. Bon Jovi is going on 30 years in the business with plenty of success on their own (for better or worse) and I bet a significant portion of their reviews mention Bruce in some form. I am not sure if there is another artist that has reached the popularity and success of Bruce that is so heavily identified with their home state as Bruce is with NJ so being from there the comparisons are inevitable.

Might as well get used to it... four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 2:32 pm

I honestly think it helps more than it hurts. I know the reason I checked them out was because I heard they were something akin to Bruce singing for a punk band.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Also, they hardly do themselves any favours with 59S sounding the way it did, and the references Brian makes to his songs in lyrics, and the man himself and interviews.

Although, I reckon any bands that get big from Jersey will inevitably get Bruce name-checks in reviews and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:30 pm

the guy that thinks they're rich just does not know what he's talking about, they are not rich at all.
Back to top Go down
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 11:32 pm

everyone is entitled to an opinion,frankly myself, i find AS is kind of a let down. Love the album, was just expecting a little more.
Back to top Go down
StreetsRunRed
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
StreetsRunRed

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:54 am

One of them liked Against Me!'s new album, so I automatically have to ignore what he says...
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/tstoothoff
Angry Johnny
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Angry Johnny

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 1:58 am

I dont know if the "bruce" thing will ever die...i thought AS maybe grew out of it, but i had some guy in my car the other day and i had the AS album playing (mind you he's not familiar with TGA) and he said "who is this? it kinda sounds like bruce springsteen". i just kinda laughed to myself. oh well. it's never really bothered me.
Back to top Go down
tdawg
Wooderson
Wooderson
tdawg

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:17 am

CluckyB wrote:
I like how all the guys don't really have reasons for not liking it. They are just like "American Slang fulfills all of the bad stereotypes that the band seemed to mostly avoid on their last record".

Right? Most of their criticism of the album doesn't feel grounded in any sort of solid critical points, but on perceptions about their influences and fanbase.
Back to top Go down
http://www.utdallas.edu/~dat054000
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:28 am

I think their new record is their best yet.

It's a grower. Once you invest time into it, you reap the rewards.

I couldn't be happier (although initially I was quite disappointed)
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:32 pm

I'll just say this. I listened to The '59 Sound for the first time since American Slang came out, and AS doesn't really measure up. Now I really can't think of a record that does measure up to The '59 Sound for me, so it's not a bad thing. Just thought I'd say that. Love the new album, though.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
loazis
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
loazis

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 1:06 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
I'll just say this. I listened to The '59 Sound for the first time since American Slang came out, and AS doesn't really measure up. Now I really can't think of a record that does measure up to The '59 Sound for me, so it's not a bad thing. Just thought I'd say that. Love the new album, though.
Same thing. Was so into AS that I didn't listen to 59S for a while. I put it on and just realised that it is my favourite album ever, regardless of how much I like AS.

On a slightly different note, I was suprised when I heard Brain say (I think it was in the Making of video) that they 'could have made '59 Sounds for the rest of their carreer but they weren't gonna do that' or something like that. Don't know what to think about that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang   four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

four critical, but interesting, blog reviews of American Slang
Page 1 of 1