DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!

Go down 
+47
flannel
Shrewsbury_Stars
benbenben
IKeeptheDiner
Suitcases
Stalls_Standing
divoz
dolan
rhg5010
Vibes
stupendoussven
andy.mac
Izzy Eviel
simo
Stevearm
loazis
JerseyDevil
borrowedcar
Holland
stayhungry
steph
Asleepontheforestfloor
Jack
Casey
Reinvent good times
Down by the Mersey
xstevenbx
saint
Ryan
drifter69
kieran
thecosmickid
Jay
MCStevepants
ral
ktp
Daire
ksupilot
DaveSavedTheDay
bobbyjames
TGAFAN25
stephendgaf
CluckyB
Luca Chinaski
Prisoner
Palmer89
steady now steady now
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stevearm
Wooderson
Wooderson
Stevearm

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:15 pm

A video talking about American Slang among other things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDih0mbR_XM
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stevearm

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:39 am

Glad everyone is enjoying it. Not saying I don't like it, but it just seems so... bland? Well, I guess it's just hard to describe. I fell in love with songs like "Wooderson" and "1930" because they seemed so damn heartfelt, they were fast, they were powerful, they spoke to me, and they seemed so personal to Brian.

This almost seems like just the opposite. The guitars seem very generic and unimpressive, the beat seems to hold back the power that Benny can unleash on the drums, and the lyrics just seem very impersonal.

I'm glad the guys are evolving, and I think this song and album will be huge but I miss just the fury and power from the SOS era. I've listened to the song about 10-15 times and every time I think I like it, I throw on something like "I Coulda Been a Contender" and I'm reminded of what this band is capable of. I only liked 3 songs on '59 Sound upon release (GE, '59, Film Noir) and grew to really like (but not love) that album so I'm hoping for the same effect here.

Rick told Isla in Casablanca "We'll always have Paris." I'm hoping on June 15th, I'm not saying "We'll always have Sink or Swim" and moving on to the next 'favorite' band.
Back to top Go down
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 am

I didn't really like it until I listened closer. I mean I'm not at the loving stage with it but it's not bad.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 am

great song
Back to top Go down
stupendoussven
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
stupendoussven

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

Its really good after a listen, still feeling my way around the song but its great so far
Back to top Go down
http://sirsvenjensen.tumblr.com
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:48 pm

I listened to it twice back to back but really want to wait for the album to leak to listen again. Anybody doing the same? It's kinda hard to not listen, though...
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm loving this song. I can't wait for this album to come out. We're all gonna party when it does!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:06 pm

So I CANNOT get this song this out of my head. It's grown on me so much after repeated listens, various lines are stuck in my head, especially the pre-chorus....

It's different than almost anythign else you'll hear out there and I think it takes a little getting used to but once that happens DAYUM BOYYYYYYYYYY
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:34 pm

For once, I'm not going to listen to this... 'cept for the one time I already did. I really ruined Ted Leo's "The Brutalist Bricks" by becoming familiar with just about all the songs before the release. It felt like an EP because I only got about 3 songs I didn't know.

So hopefully it leaks before we get all these live and acoustic performances online that I won't be able to resist.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
dolan
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
dolan

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 3:59 pm

really loving it at the moment, hopefully the album will be just as high quality
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Vibes wrote:
I'm loving this song. I can't wait for this album to come out. We're all gonna party when it does!

Everyone will be swinging, no? 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_biggrin

I'm definitely not going to over listen to it. But not listening to it was a silly idea. I wouldn't want it to like, come on the radio and then I wind up hearing it anyways. This way I'm still pumped for the album, and the songs'll be reasonably fresh. 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Casey
A Contender
A Contender
Casey

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm

My biggest complaint with the song is the simplicity of the guitar work.
Keep in mind that I do not really play guitar, so I'm not the most credible person to criticize, but for the most part it just sounds like there is only one dominant guitar.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 pm

hate to say it, its kind of boring me now.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 am

The song actually kinda sounds like i expected to sound.

I hope this line continues (concerning the expectations) , because I expect Bring It On to sound epic.

(I expect Bring It On to be a catchy uptempo rocking song with Chuck Berry influenced lead guitar riffs and a rhythm and blues like C, Am, F, G chorus)
Back to top Go down
divoz
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
divoz

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 3:13 am

The song is ok, kills me to say that bc i love these guys, i understnad that this being a forum dedicated to the band that ppl will make it out to be amazing, but its really realy average, heres to hoping the album will have some tracks that can blow this ou tof the water
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

Has anyone ripped this yet?
Back to top Go down
Luca Chinaski
A Contender
A Contender
Luca Chinaski

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

DaveSavedTheDay wrote:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tqmmwlxwoqm

Ripped for you guys.

^
Back to top Go down
http://www.pearljamonline.it/
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 am

great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Reinvent good times
A Contender
A Contender
Reinvent good times

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm staying resolute. I haven't listened yet. Although I am intrigued. I think the response is probably 85% like, 15% could be better.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 4:48 pm

As the Gaslight Anthem put it on Facebook today,

Wait til you hear the rest of the album when it comes out in June...the best is yet to come:)

Their words ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Suitcases
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Prisoner wrote:

I hope this line continues (concerning the expectations) , because I expect Bring It On to sound epic.

(I expect Bring It On to be a catchy uptempo rocking song with Chuck Berry influenced lead guitar riffs and a rhythm and blues like C, Am, F, G chorus)

It's really not that upbeat at all. They played it during their last show of 2009 in Montclair if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Suitcases wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

It's really not that upbeat at all. They played it during their last show of 2009 in Montclair if I remember correctly.

So they're all going to be slow and boring? Rad.
Back to top Go down
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm

I don't know whats with me. I like this song then I don't, IDK.

I do like the "hoo hoo" parts though. hah
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm

stephendgaf wrote:
Suitcases wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

I wouldn't say slow and boring but Bring It On is really kind of the same vibe as Cowgirls...

Not the same song at all, but that's the closest I could think of as far as the general ebb and flow of the song.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
stephendgaf
Wooderson
Wooderson
stephendgaf

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
stephendgaf wrote:
Suitcases wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

I loved Cowgirls. hah.

I wouldn't say slow and boring but Bring It On is really kind of the same vibe as Cowgirls...

Not the same song at all, but that's the closest I could think of as far as the general ebb and flow of the song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!   'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'American Slang' single to premier 23 March !!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next