DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix

Go down 
+10
JoshRaymond
lynchyeatspizza
bradcooke
Dan_Dog
Vibes
mescalero
Forum Owner
rhg5010
e7c
Jukebox Romeo
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Was it as good for you as it was for me?
Five Stars! Every track was awesome!
June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_lcap57%June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Four Stars! I am going to check out a few of these bands
June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_lcap43%June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
Three Stars.. atleast there was one band I want to check out
June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_lcap0%June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Two stars... not bad to listen to, nothing I want to get into though
June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_lcap0%June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
one star. bleh. not my style
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Empty
PostSubject: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 3:54 pm

I decided to make it an all-acoustic mix, save a song or two. Maybe it'll give you guys something new to listen to as you go to sleep. Enjoy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tylpxe

1. Danny Miller - "Nights": A little self-promotion never hurt anybody;)

2. Frank Turner - "Father's Day": A great song with a beautiful melody in the chorus, and a song that's even better when you realize what the song's about (hint: look at the lyrics)

3. Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution - "It's a Wonderful Life": Tomas Kalnoky has a knack for making the saddest songs sound so happy, and he does it perfectly on this one. Great story, one of my favorite songs of all time.

4. Social Distortion - "Angel's Wings (Acoustic)": Just an amazing song all around. When the vocals kick in, you can just feel the emotion so clearly. Never thought I'd hear a Social D song with strings, but it worked amazingly well.

5. Apologies, I Have None - "Bent Strings": Though the lyrics are a bit vague, this is one of the most honest and heartfelt songs I've heard in awhile. Love the harmonies in the chorus, too.

6. The Riot Before - "Words Written Over Coffee": Maybe the best song from last year. That last line resonates for awhile after the song's over. Also, gotta love the pun with suspension of disbelief.

7. State Radio - "The Story of Benjamin Darling Part 1": Great song chronicling the true story of Benjamin Darling (look it up, it's really a great story). Great melody and stuff all around.

8. Bruce Springsteen - "No Surrender (Live)": From the Live 1975-85 comp, this is an acoustic version with just Bruce alone on the stage. One of my favorite live performances.

9. Against Me! - "Beginning In an Ending": Just a mediocre song until the end, where James' and Tom's voices work together for an incredible harmony of yelling.

10. Rumbleseat - "Restless": I was gonna put a Chuck Ragan song and a Chris Wollard song on here separately, but I thought I'd cover both with this song. One of several stellar tracks on this album, the Ragan/Wollard combo works best on this track. Also, the chick's vocals on the chorus are great.

11. Tim Barry - "Wait At Milano": A little slow, takes awhile to develop, but it builds throughout, and the last line just breaks your heart. The piano and violin are nice touches, too, and I think it's cool that they're performed by his brother and sister, respectively.

12. Sublime - "Pool Shark (Acoustic)": Sublime may get some heat for being a popular band popular with college kids, but they had some great, honest songs in their catalog, like this one. Brad coming to terms with the fate of his heroin addiction ("One day I'm gonna lose the war"). A bit prophetic, and really sad.

13. Sundowner - "One Hundred Resolutions": Great song, really sad. The whole part from the bridge through the end is the kicker.

14. Max Stern - "Setting Suns, Settling Sons": 19 year-old kid from Cleveland, writes some incredible songs, that I can really relate to (I'm 18, I live near Cleveland). This is one of them.

15. Greg Attonito and Shanti Wintergate - "The Something Special (Live)": Lead singer of The Bouncing Souls and his wife performing this song acoustically, written by Shanti, performed by the Souls. Shanti really has a beautiful voice, and their voices go well together. Not the best quality though, I apologize.

16. The Loved Ones - "Selfish Masquerade (Acoustic)": From their session at the Hurley Studios. Great song off their latest album, love the piano.

17. Bob Dylan - "The Times They Are A-Changin'": Hard to pick just one song from Bob, but I picked this for the "Mothers and fathers throughout the land" verse. I've wanted to say this to my parents so many times...

18. Lucero - "Hold Me Close": Really quiet, heartfelt song. Not much more to say about it. Great band, great song.

19. Street Dogs - "Free": Instead of repeating "Final Transmission" from e7c's mix, I thought I'd switch it up and throw in this song from their latest album. Great song throughout, maybe inspired by The Clash song perhaps? That last bit sure seems like it.

20. Fear Like Us - "Song of Rattling Keys": The other band of Jamie Hay's (of A Death In the Family and Tyre Swans). Really good album, love this song. Thought I'd switch up the mood of this mix, get a little shouting in there.

21. Neutral Milk Hotel - "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea": Lots of great songs on this album. I'm not usually a fan of indie stuff like this, but you gotta love the woodsaw in the background.

22. Rocky Votolato - "Alabaster": Just getting into this guy, but he writes some incredible songs, and I love his voice, especially in the second verse on this one. This one's a little more upbeat than most of his others.

23. Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - "The Long Shadow": Gotta throw in something from the legend that is Joe. I picked this one because I think it sounds like "The Navesink Banks" for some reason.

24. Paul Baribeau - "Ten Things": This one's a little more manic than most of his stuff, but I thought I'd end the mix with some words to live by.
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Juke, I am psyched about this mixtape! oh and congrats on graduating!
Back to top Go down
rhg5010
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Can't wait to download this. Hey I never heard of that Loved Ones acoustic session. Do you have it in its entirety?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/JabarPSU
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 pm

Nights: call me nostalgic, but I love low budget recordings. Any artist that has ever sat down and recorded his music on his own has a definite passion for what he is doing. There are no "phoned in" recordings done like this. I love the passion here! When Tom Gabel wrote "What We Worked For" and said:

May Elvis turn in his grave
And Les Paul kiss my dirty, calloused fingers
And may the likes of this song never make
One fucking dollar,
leave it for a demo tape
To be played until it's broken,
Then remembered only for what it was.

this is song is what he was talking about.

Father's Day: wow... that is a sad and beautiful song... it reminds me a lot of "Cats in the Craddle" I am still on the fence with what I think of Frank Turner... I don't dislike his music, but I have yet to ever intentionally play his music

It's a Wonderful Life: Is that Fat Mike singing? This sounds like a ska version of NOFX. I didn't really listen to the words so I am not sure what the song is about... sorry this review sucks.

Angel's Wings: When I stated calling certain types of music "Whiskey Rock" this is what I was talking about! Mike Ness is the man... it is because of Mike Ness that I wear a kilt (long story)

Bent Strings: This song is great! I will be looking into Apologies I have none... anything anyone recommends? is this song typical for them? UPDATE: I went to iTunes and purchased their EP.

ok, I only reviewed 5 songs, sorry "How I Met Your Mom" is on...
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:37 pm

that's okay, it's 5 more than anyone else has reviewed so far. thanks for your support on my original song. i appreciate it a lot. as for Frank Turner, he's one of my favorite artists. his stuff didn't stick with me right away, but Love Ire & Song is truly an incredible album the whole way through

and no, that is not Fat Mike, that is Tomas Kalnoky (of Catch-22 and Streetlight Manifesto fame). the song's about him leaving a girl and going off to fight a war he doesn't understand. it was my favorite song for a long time before I heard Blue Jeans
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 am

Just downloading now, but the track list looks very exciting!
Back to top Go down
https://thegaslightanthem.forumotion.com
mescalero
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
mescalero

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:21 am

Bunch of great tunes here. I'm already a big fan of the ones by Sundowner and Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, kinda wondering if by the time I'm able to post if all the songs I would've chosen will already be posted here. Oh well.

The Frank Turner song is another highlight for me... wish he would've been opening for tGA when I saw them (like he was on a previous tour).
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 5:11 am

BENT STRINGS! Fuck, what a fucking song! I hear AGAINST ME!

Any other songs I should check out from them?

On the whole AN AMAZING MIX - so many great songs, mostly rated 5's and 4's with a couple of 3's (Neutral Milk & The Something Special (Live). But I did enjoy listening to them.

Will be checking otu a great many new bands now!

Great job. And for the record, Danny Miller rules! ;-)

June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Moz-screenshotJune 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Juke11

EDIT - K, just listened to BENT STRINGS 10 times in a row! Man that song is awesome! Not the same as the EP version though, are there any more gems of this kind available?
Back to top Go down
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 2:26 pm

LYRICS FOR BENT STRINGS

Soak up all the strain and cast out all your old complaints.
She didn't work this hard to give up and let death stake a claim.
20 years, 1 month and 27 days.

And is this all she gets?

A striking realisation that the cross she had to bear wasn't half as heavy as the burden that now hangs around her neck.

I won’t miss this when it's gone.

What is there to say?
Another fumbled consolation cuts the air but seems to fail in FUCKING every way. You can't sum up in two lines the cost to a mother that outlives her child, so why even bother.

And is this all she gets?

A solemn promise that times a great healer, from someone that could never understand quite how much that she needs her.

I won’t miss this when it's gone.

I guess it takes less time to formulate the answers to all the questions why than it does to understand them.

I'm not talking about experts, medicine or science, there's folly in believing these things will ever satisfy her when memories of a body strapped with wires leaves her lost.

I want to scream until my lungs bleed "I'm glad your son died on the cross" ... but i bite my lip and hold my tongue because everybody needs a safety net and i think she chose the right one.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 2:36 pm

What's with Sundowner popping up everywhere?

I saw them last Friday with Let Me Run.

Just saying...
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Kropotkin wrote:
BENT STRINGS! Fuck, what a fucking song! I hear AGAINST ME!

Any other songs I should check out from them?

EDIT - K, just listened to BENT STRINGS 10 times in a row! Man that song is awesome! Not the same as the EP version though, are there any more gems of this kind available?
haha, that's basically the same reaction i had the first time i heard it. incredible song. they actually re-recorded it for their second EP (i think that's the one on itunes). the version i put on here is from their first EP (which is available for free on their website, but if you buy their second EP, they send you their first with it for free)

as for other gems, idk if you mean by A,IHN or other bands, but these guys are really good. Stalls and I have been raving about them in the Other Bands thread. both their EPs are really good. i think their second one is better. the last two songs are sooo good

glad you enjoyed the mix. i love acoustic stuff like this. a lot of times there's so much more feeling and emotion that comes through that you just don't get with a standard punk or rock song

as for Sundowner, i'm not really a huge fan of that album, i think only 4 or 5 of the songs are really good, but One Hundred Resolutions and Endless Miles really stuck with me. i listen to those 2 all the time
Back to top Go down
Dan_Dog
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Keep meaning to listen to Sundowner as Itunes recommends them to me as someone who has TGA
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
Stalls and I have been raving about them in the Other Bands thread.

I hate to admit it (espically as an admin) but I rarely read the other bands thread... I really should have because Bent Strings is awesome... by far my favorite song of all the new songs I have heard since we started this project.
Back to top Go down
bradcooke
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Sweet, just read the tracklist and i must admit im pretty stoked. And super happy someone threw the acoustic cover of Angels Wings on there. Hadn't heard the acoustic version before. Epic
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Words Written Over Coffee: another great song. life is tough work hard.

The Story of Benjamin Darling: reminds me alot of a band I used to listen to called Dispatch... actually I would not be surprised if it was the same singer. Not as much grit as the other tracks so far (that is not a complaint or a compliment, just stating it). I am looking forward to learning more about Ben Darling.

No Surrender: 2 years ago I did not know anything about Bruce Springsteen (other than what Pop up video taught me) and I keep finding more and more to love about him and his music. Nobody is better at writing empathetic songs than Bruce. No retreat baby!

Begining In an Ending: What to say about AM! that I have not said before... this is the band that got me into TGA. I believe Tom is the best songwritter of my generation and they play a better live show than anyone out there. Sadly Warren just left the band today. bummer.

Restless: Just because I've fallen... I'm not giving up, you're going to have to break me. what a bad ass line! Chuck is another singer that I am surprised that I am not more into... I love his stuff everytime I hear it, but yet I know so little of it... I don't particularly care for the woman's vocals but still a pretty awesome song.

another 5 down 14 more to go... so far this playlist has been great to review, Juke, I am pretty sure you will end up getting a 5 star rating from me.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 am

e7c wrote:
The Story of Benjamin Darling: reminds me alot of a band I used to listen to called Dispatch... actually I would not be surprised if it was the same singer. Not as much grit as the other tracks so far (that is not a complaint or a compliment, just stating it). I am looking forward to learning more about Ben Darling.
lol yeah Chad Urmston (or "Chetro") is the former lead singer of Dispatch and the current lead singer of State Radio

here are some links with info on Benjamin Darling:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=benjamin%20darling
http://www.metafilter.com/75910/Benjamin-Darling-and-the-Maroon-Society-of-Malaga-Island

besides being a great song, i think that's a great story about the good nature of people. for those too lazy to click the links, Darling was a slave on a ship that wrecked, and he saved his master's (who no doubt treated him terribly) life by swimming him to the shore

i highly recommend further checking out this incredible band, so much so that i've given everyone their first album:
Code:
State Radio - Us Against the Crown - http://www.mediafire.com/?bhtvjokl122
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:21 am

i donwloaded that album the 3 days ago, just before you mix tape had it on it! It's an awesome album! Fav Soungs: The Diner Song (especially the end bit) and Waitress.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Forum Owner
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Forum Owner

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 4:43 am

Thanks Jukebox!

Couple of more comments:

* LOVE the intro to the Acoustic Revolution track!
* Fear Like Us - great song, very catchy and raw. Not good for the liver though! Who are these guys? Any other good songs to check out?
* Anyone else feel Joe tries a little too hard in The Long Shadow to sound Country?

This is truly a great mix, so many of the songs are so catchy and I like them a lot. I have a lot of new bands to check out!
Back to top Go down
JoshRaymond
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JoshRaymond

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 am

wait at milano brings a tear to my eye
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 12:03 pm

lynchyeatspizza wrote:
i donwloaded that album the 3 days ago, just before you mix tape had it on it! It's an awesome album! Fav Soungs: The Diner Song (especially the end bit) and Waitress.
good, glad you liked it! i have a small issue with The Diner Song though. for a band that writes such thoughtful, deep, emotional songs like Camilo, Mr. Larkin, and The Waitress, writing a song about banging a waitress in the bathroom 'cause you don't have any money to pay for your meal seems out of place. the song's really catchy though
Kropotkin wrote:
Thanks Jukebox!

Couple of more comments:

* LOVE the intro to the Acoustic Revolution track!
Fear Like Us - great song, very catchy and raw. Not good for the liver
though! Who are these guys? Any other good songs to check out?
* Anyone else feel Joe tries a little too hard in The Long Shadow to sound Country?

This
is truly a great mix, so many of the songs are so catchy and I like
them a lot. I have a lot of new bands to check out!
yeah, BOTAR's great. everyone should check them and Streetlight Manifesto out, both great bands.

Fear Like Us is a band fronted by Jamie Hay, who you might know from A Death In the Family (Australian band that played a few shows with TGA both in Aus and the US). he also plays in a band called Tyre Swans. their self-titled album is all they've released, and it's a great album. here ya go:
Code:
Fear Like Us - S/T - http://www.mediafire.com/?odnwdl0ndyl
it's in wma, i apologize if that's an issue
Back to top Go down
I Came To Dance
A Contender
A Contender
I Came To Dance

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 2:25 pm

This looks like a great mixtape, I'm looking forward to listen to it when I'm done downloading!
Back to top Go down
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 pm

as you brits would say "this mixtape is tits!"
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 pm

e7c wrote:

hah
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 4:38 am

e7c wrote:

Is tits would imply it being a bit rubbish THE tits would imply a positive. Just so you know Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 5:39 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
here ya go:
Code:
Fear Like Us - S/T - http://www.mediafire.com/?odnwdl0ndyl
it's in wma, i apologize if that's an issue
Where do you get all these links from? I know http://floridaisthereason.blogspot.com/ has a few bands, but seriously you seem to pull out a link for every band.
Question: Do you ever download with torrents or do you just download these files? OR do you upload these files to send them to us?
Cheers.

Edit:
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gongmlytmzt
is a The Riot Before album, who I've been hearing alot about recently. (Jukebox's Mixtape)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix   June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

June 8 - 15: Jukebox Romeo's Mix
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next