DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Empty
PostSubject: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 4:09 pm

The other day I was flicking through this magazine waiting
to get my hair cut and came across this feature with Brian. I'm guessing each
artist has to pick some bands from their own country but I'm not 100% sure on
that. I took a picture of it on my crappy cameraphone so I'll try and make out
from that what the piece said. Anyway, Brian's selection was:

Chamberlain - The Moon My Saddle (which I think he recommended to LBAZ
coz she has this surname??). "They're from the American mid-west and
they're the best band nobody knows about. They've made three or four good
albums but this one's their best. Their lyrics are great, this guy puts
thoughts together better than Bob Dylan and that's a bold statement."

The National - Boxer "It's brilliant. What's not to like about it?
It almost seems like the perfect album and I haven't heard too many perfect
albums. There's darkness there, and sarcasm too, almost like Nick Cave."

Afghan Whigs - Black Love
"This is an album I love. Punk rock with the most sinister lyrics. Greg Dulli is evil, but in a good way. They seem to have been around for years - I was in high school when I got into them and I was angry like they were. But it was a special kind of anger."

Bob Dylan - Street Legal (I can make this out perfect becoz of a light shine but I'll do my best) "An unspoken masterpiece. It's such a good record and no-one paid much attention to it at the time. I heard it five years ago when I picked it up at random. I really liked "Changing of the Guard" and the gospel singers on it are flawless.

Tegan and Sara - The Con "I didn't think they were the kind of band I'd like. It's dancy and happy and I'm more of a typical singer-songwriter or rock band kind of guy. But they're quirky, with good melodies and their lyrics are good too."
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 2:01 am

I love checking out the stuff Brian likes. Anyone heard The National? Boxer is amazing, check out the drums in the song Brainy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 am

Boxer is a sick album. so is Alligator, the one that came before it. The National is solid
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 2:38 am

I'm downloading Chamberlain's My Moon, My Saddle. The samples on iTunes sounded good, i think they're right up my alley

Edit: I'm hooked on the first line in the first song. I'd go back and type it here but I'm jammin'. Download this album!
Back to top Go down
lynchyeatspizza
Wooderson
Wooderson
lynchyeatspizza

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 4:17 am

I just downloaded it. about to hear that first line... And i'm liking it. THe singers like Bruce.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynchy911
e7c
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
e7c

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 am

I will check them out as soon as I get home! however, I am not a fan of Tegan and Sara... I have tried to get into them since I learned about them from Tom and Andrew, but they just don't do it for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 1:15 pm

Yeah some of these bands I'll definately check out when I have a minute. I think it's great how liking one band can open up so many other alleys in music you may never have discovered.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:13 pm

that Chamberlain album is really good. good windows down summertime music. sounds a bit like Eddie Vedder singing for Lucero
Back to top Go down
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll have to get my hands on it soon so! Although I think they're broken up??
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 12:11 am

"If the sky falls tonight, we'll all run outside and catch stars in the streetlight"

and yeah, apparently they did break up. that's a shame
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 1:48 am

Their lead singer put out an album yesterday on their old label. We have good timing at least...
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Chamberlain got a song in a Victoria's Secret ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dup8BS8f8S4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine   Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Domestic Jukebox - HotPress Magazine
Page 1 of 1