DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling

Go down 
+21
Palmer89
The Major
ral
Jukebox Romeo
Penelope
ksupilot
TimL
Vibes
Stalls_Standing
Deeper Shade of Blue
Prisoner
Daire
Shipyards
kristi_atl
Snap
ktp
Dan_Dog
kieran
fools_gold
carson
steady now steady now
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Daire
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Daire

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:22 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jmynzvygyj0

For your iPods.

59, Backseats, LIncoln
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:39 am

Bruce opened with London Calling, and Brian got a new guitar apparently
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:32 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

that's great, but what was the question?

anyway, Bruce played one of Brian's guitar; what a treasure that must now be for Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 4:53 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

Aye sporting a new gold top les paul.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:43 am

Here is a brief report on Hyde Park (28 June 2009):

I got there at about 10.45am, early enough to get in with the hardcore Springsteen fans and to end up three rows from the rail, just off centre.

It was a long wait and it was sooooo hot. The stage was set up for the first band (which I won’t go into), but shortly before they came on, I spotted Benny at the very back of the stage, on the right hand side, adjusting his drum set. I gave him a shout and he spotted me. Later I got a thumbs up from him for my TGA t-shirt.

Once the TGA kit was on stage, the fun started. Alex R. was sorting out his own cables, Benny was still adjusting his set, their roadie (with the beard; I don’t know his name) was doing his bit, Alex L. was up there too, and Hollie was taping down the set lists. Most of the 50,000+ people must have thought they were all roadies (though as for Hollie, she would have been the most glamorous roadie about).

From there we went straight into show, with Brian coming on at last. He had opted for the hat, which came in handy for his slightly OTT showmanship, though it worked. There was a nice little story about some girl (after which he took his hat off to Hollie, who was watching from the side of the stage) and some banter with the roadie.

I can’t remember the exact set list, but they opened with ‘High Lonesome’ and closed with ‘The Backseat’. For a 40 minute show, it was a great set list, as it showed off the range that TGA are capable off, including the slow stuff, such as ‘Here’s Looking at You Kid’, which had the crowd in a hush. I think the whole set went down really well with the hardcore Bruce fans at the front.

And Brian’s introduction of Bruce was great too, because he talked about the other great acts coming up, knowing the crowd would chant for Bruce, and after a quick check over his shoulder, he said something like “You asked and you shall receive” (Bruce fans know that preacher stuff well). Bruce actually played one of Brian’s guitars …

With a storming ‘The Backseat’, which had Alex R. explode at last, it was all done. As he left the stage, Brian walked over to Hollie and gave her a big kiss on the lips. I think we could all feel the love.

Brian coming back on to sing with Bruce was another treat, though by then I was a bit further back (about 25 deep), as I had left at some point and didn’t want all the hassle of trying to get back to my original spot. Brian had really smartened up by then, button shirt, smart trousers (not that there’s anything wrong with the other look). He absolutely loved it, having a whole verse to himself and clapping away back to back with Bruce. As before, when he left he gave Bruce a big hug. Bruce’s set, incidentally, was phenomenal.

Overall, I think TGA did great. Compared to other acts, they proved that often less is more and that you don’t need a lot of gear and a huge band. I get quite emotional at a gig like that, Bruce usually has me almost in tears, and TGA managed it as well on the chorus of ‘Miles Davis and The Cool’.

That’s it. If you haven’t yet seen the photos that go with my report, go to http://www.gaslightanthem.org.uk/hydepark.htm

Last edited by steady now steady now on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am

Nice report Steady. Wish I had been there.

steady now steady now wrote:
I gave him a shout and he spotted me. Later I got a thumbs up from him for my TGA t-shirt.

Quality.
Back to top Go down
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:46 pm

is everyone aware that the name of the song is "The Backseat", not "Backseats"? 'cause you just said "Backstreets" for "The Backseat", and more often than not, people write "Backseats"
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
is everyone aware that the name of the song is "The Backseat", not "Backseats"? 'cause you just said "Backstreets" for "The Backseat", and more often than not, people write "Backseats"

just shows how Bruced out I am, 'The Backseat', 'Backstreets'; I corrected it now; maybe its the heat here as well
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Jukebox Romeo wrote:

brian frequently intros it as backseats as well but i'm sure everyone knows the name.
Back to top Go down
Vibes
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
Vibes

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Brian has called it Backseats as far back as Summer last year when he was doing early radio tours. I call it Backseats now
Back to top Go down
http://www.zackshapiro.com
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 3:37 pm

yeah, i remember him saying it on the KEXP show from the day before '59 came out last august, i just feel like it's just as easy to say "the backseat" as it is to say "backseats". i was just making sure people actually knew the name
Back to top Go down
Pat Kelm

PostSubject: Brilliant at Hyde Park   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 6:54 pm

As one of the Hardcore Bruce fans near the front at Hyde Park, I can confirm I was truly converted. I've been listening to TGA ever since.

Brilliant.

Pat
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Pat - I was the same as you! Have seen Bruce more times than I would care to admit to - all over the world. Came across these guys about 18 months ago and have listened to very little else since. Have now seen them 3 times - once with an audience of 150, once with 2,200 and now with 40,000 plus and they can cope with all of this. I am a true convert and have to say that (even though hard to admit!!) I enjoyed them as much (if not more) than Bruce on Sunday! Enjoy the ride!
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Danny - Great tracks on your myspace page - what are you planning to do?

Hope it all works out! cheers
Back to top Go down
Stalls_Standing
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Stalls_Standing

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm

english anthem wrote:
Pat - I was the same as you! Have seen Bruce more times than I would care to admit to - all over the world. Came across these guys about 18 months ago and have listened to very little else since. Have now seen them 3 times - once with an audience of 150, once with 2,200 and now with 40,000 plus and they can cope with all of this. I am a true convert and have to say that (even though hard to admit!!) I enjoyed them as much (if not more) than Bruce on Sunday! Enjoy the ride!

What 150 show was that?
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODtOloRZfk
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Birmingham, England UK - Carling Academy 2 (upstairs in the little bar!) - may have been a slight under exaggeration to press the point - newspaper review said 190!

Stalls_Standing wrote:
english anthem wrote:

What 150 show was that?
Back to top Go down
The Major
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:31 pm

english anthem wrote:
Birmingham, England UK - Carling Academy 2 (upstairs in the little bar!) - may have been a slight under exaggeration to press the point - newspaper review said 190!

I would have said the crowd was about 350 - 400 that night...there was easily more than 190 there as they sold the venue out...however it was probably the smallest show of the tour...everyone was expecting them to play the main room
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR2sHz250aM

another part of a clip of No Surrender with Brian

man Brian sounds awesome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 7:15 am

Yeah I'd argue he sounds better than the Boss! He looks like he's having the time of his life, and rightly so!
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Tomaldo wrote:
Yeah I'd argue he sounds better than the Boss! He looks like he's having the time of his life, and rightly so!

haha and if someone does argue that the Boss sounds better, you can't deny the fact that he equals Bruces singing. Bruces big smile during Brians singing is priceless Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deeper Shade of Blue
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Deeper Shade of Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Totally agree - as is well documented (now!) I am 40 now and first saw Springsteen in 1980 and have seen him 93 times since then. I have now seen TGA 3 times and they are heading in the same direction. Perhaps it is because I have seen him too many times recently but I have to say that seeing TGA is at the moment better then seeing Bruce and the ESB - may be because it is new and fresh but I am not alone with my thoughts. I was too young to see Springsteen in the 70's but I imagine it was the same as seeing TGA now - so I have to pretend to be (and act) 20 years younger!!
Back to top Go down
Palmer89
Wooderson
Wooderson

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Never been a huge Boss fan, not sure why but Brian certainly deserves to be on that stage with him, obviously meant a huge deal to him.

Can't help but smile at it, TGA seem to be getting what thery deserve...
Back to top Go down
Snap
A Contender
A Contender
Snap

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:02 am

kieran wrote:
Snap wrote:
Just got back (had to leave early, booooo!) but it was fantastic today. Gaslight played a load off '59 Sound, and Bruce joined them onstage again Very Happy Also in his set Brian came onstage and sung No Surrender. They didn't play anything off SoS or SatQ though.

Also Keiran I think I saw you just before Gaslight played when we were trying to find a good spot, but I wasn't 100% so I didn't say anything just in case Cool

Where you the girl in the Bronx flamingo shirt? It caught my attention being a bit of a fan.

But yeah was a nice day me and my Dad enjoyed gaslight and was very impressed with the boss. 3 hours non stop playing at his age!

Should have some videos up tomorrow. Will try and sort the pictures now.

I was! haha it was nice to see someone off the boards, and yep that's my hair in your photos Cool I took a few as well, sorry they're pretty big.

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 6536_203182695023_653450023_7518359_234982_n

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 6536_203185920023_653450023_7518425_8135385_n

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 6536_203179885023_653450023_7518297_8162461_n

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 6536_203182710023_653450023_7518361_7499399_n

What other bands did everyone else see? We caught Joshua Radin on the second stage and really enjoyed his set, great music to chill out to.

Last edited by Snap on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am

Sweet.

I saw the opening band who where good for a laugh not much else. Then Gaslight. Watched a bit of James Morrison chilling at the back eating some lunch and having a few brews. The caught Arno Cartens acoustic set. I really like his stuff so was good to finally see him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling   The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Gaslight Anthem at Hard Rock Calling
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next