DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

age of fans?

Go down 
+17
MissTiffers
billy pilgrim
Mosh
Daire
MCStevepants
Snap
Reinvent good times
Prisoner
kieran
Chris
LBAZ
Jukebox Romeo
Forum Owner
Asleepontheforestfloor
Stalls_Standing
xstevenbx
steady now steady now
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

what's your age?
13 to 19
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap26%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 26% [ 28 ]
20 to 30
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 61 ]
31 to 40
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 12 ]
41 to 50
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 6 ]
51 to 60
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
61 and up
age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%age of fans? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 107

AuthorMessage
Jukebox Romeo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Jukebox Romeo

age of fans? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:34 pm

lol for some reason that comment cracked me up. i guess 'cause my parents hate the fact that i go in the pit, and you're proud of him going in his first. you're probly one of those cool dads that all the kids wish their dad was like
Back to top Go down
billy pilgrim
A Contender
A Contender
billy pilgrim

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 2:33 am

I'm 19, got into them when I was 17 I think. My brothers are 17 and 15 and they're both big fans.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 5:55 am

Mosh wrote:
It seems like I am the old man around here at 42.

Oh no you're not, as I turned 43 a few weeks ago (though I am pleased I am no longer the only one in that particular age bracket; when I started this tread, I had actually been tempted to create the age brackets differently, incl. 36-45, etc.).

Mosh wrote:
It’s funny to me that people are saying how they got their dad’s into GA when for me it was the other way around.

The Pit, it's the only way to go ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
xstevenbx
Wooderson
Wooderson
xstevenbx

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:59 am

Mosh wrote:
It seems like I am the old man around here at 42.
It’s funny to me that people are saying how they got their dad’s into GA when for me it was the other way around. I got my 12 year old son into GA. His very first mosh pit was at the GA show in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. So proud!
this seriously rules. not only do i hope to still be stoked on a new band enough to join a message board when i'm 42, but i also hope to take my kid to his first show. so awesome.
Back to top Go down
Mosh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mosh

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 am

steady now steady now wrote:
Oh no you're not, as I turned 43 a few weeks ago
You’ve got a couple of months on me! Glad to have the company.
Back to top Go down
Mosh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mosh

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 11:47 am

Jukebox Romeo wrote:
you're probly one of those cool dads that all the kids wish their dad was like
I’ll take that as a compliment and thank you for it. I try hard to say ‘yes’ whenever he and his friends ask me to join in on whatever is going on whether it is football in the street, airsoft in the backyard or video games on the PS3/Xbox.
Back to top Go down
Mosh
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mosh

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 pm

I’m sorry for the 3 posts in a row. I don’t want to dominate the thread but there were 3 comments to my initial post and I felt each deserved a reply.

xstevenbx wrote:
this seriously rules. not only do i hope to still be stoked on a new band enough to join a message board when i'm 42, but i also hope to take my kid to his first show. so awesome.

Thanks for the enthusiasm and the compliment. It’s amazing how a post from somebody you don’t know can make you happy. I feel exactly the way you described. Think about it: At what age do you want to stop listening to great new music and going to shows? Right now, my answer is ‘never’.

In the last 18 months, I’ve gotten into Against Me, Rise Against and Gaslight Anthem and seen all 3 of them live. In the next two months, I’m going to see Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers (I know, not exactly punk but I’ve been listening to Clyne since ‘The Refreshments’ days and still like his stuff) and The Offspring. I’m taking my 12 year old son to the Offspring and I’m guessing that will be his second mosh pit ever. Father and son in the mosh pit together: Life is good!
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

42 and in the pit wow and why the hell not! Makes me ashamed of my previous comment of being to old to be slamming down in the pit.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Mosh wrote:
Think about it: At what age do you want to stop listening to great new music and going to shows? Right now, my answer is ‘never’.

People often say you are as young as you feel. Well, at times I may not feel as young as I used to, but I certainly think that you are as young as you think you are.

While I have undoubtedly learnt a great deal over the years, and lost my naivity, I find that my basic mindset is little different from what it was when I was in my mid twenties. Too many people get old and boring because they have a skewed idea of what maturity is all about. As I was never the really carefree type, youth for me hence isn't about irresponsible abandon in any case, and hence the responsibilties that come with adulthood never took away from the spirit of my youth.

Overall, I've stayed about 25 for the past 18 years. However, I admit that Zimmer frames probably don't work well in the pit, though you can always hang onto the barrier ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:08 am

I should include that my mother is 62 years old and loves The Gaslight Anthem.
Back to top Go down
ilockyer
A Contender
A Contender
ilockyer

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 am

30 here and will have seen them 5 times come the Hyde Park show, sadly missed their first two visits in August and December but making up for it now!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Yeah my parents like Gaslight too...
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm

Tomaldo wrote:

Same and my dad likes the boss so brought tickets for Hyde park kill two birds with one stone. His first gaslight show and my first time seeing Springsteen.
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm

They're definitely not a difficult band to get into. It trips me out when she leaves me a voicemail like, "Could you send me the copy of AP magazine they're in when you're done with it? I'd like to read it. Actually just read it to me over the phone if you would." ^_^ I love my Mom.
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:03 pm

kieran wrote:
Tomaldo wrote:

Same and my dad likes the boss so brought tickets for Hyde park kill two birds with one stone. His first gaslight show and my first time seeing Springsteen.

TOO COOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:10 pm

No one else on my family likes them... maybe my baby brother but thats a big maybe.
My dad is into all his classic rock and some crazy stuff like Cradle of Filth, my mum loves Take That, my younger brother currently resides on the dark side with the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus and my little sister is into anything pop she can dance to.
I have resorted to dirty tactics though, by putting TGA's music onto my brother's ipod. The sooner he sees the Jonas Brothers for the manufactured jokes they are the better!

I credit my own frustration towards mainstream music for discovering things like TGA and Bouncing Souls ect.
Don't get me wrong I love talking to everyone on here, I really do, but I would like to be able to have conversation with my immediate peers about things I am passionate about, without it being ended at 'They're rubbish. Never heard of them.'
You guys are all so lucky with your TGA loving friends and families!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nomies_alien_lover
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

LBAZ wrote:
No one else on my family likes them... maybe my baby brother but thats a big maybe.
My dad is into all his classic rock and some crazy stuff like Cradle of Filth, my mum loves Take That, my younger brother currently resides on the dark side with the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus and my little sister is into anything pop she can dance to.
I have resorted to dirty tactics though, by putting TGA's music onto my brother's ipod. The sooner he sees the Jonas Brothers for the manufactured jokes they are the better!

I credit my own frustration towards mainstream music for discovering things like TGA and Bouncing Souls ect.
Don't get me wrong I love talking to everyone on here, I really do, but I would like to be able to have conversation with my immediate peers about things I am passionate about, without it being ended at 'They're rubbish. Never heard of them.'
You guys are all so lucky with your TGA loving friends and families!

Jonas Brothers? Oh dear god, show him the light of better tunes ahead in his future. Wink

As far as your peers saying they're rubbish... You're in England, right? Whenever I'm in Ireland at least, I've heard nothing but great responses about TGA, including by the English working there. Surprises me in a way because of the immense support they seem to have from their European fans. I mean, what are your peers into? I'm pretty in touch with UK indie, so throw a few names at me if you will. I'm curious what side teens and young adults are leaning towards over TGA. :\
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:38 pm

Most people have a dreadful taste in indie music here in the UK just look at the mainstage line up at reading and you can see most of the crap they are into.
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Haha true...
I go to Ireland 4-5 times a year and whenever I'm over and hear what some of the kids are listening to I'm asking myself WTF lol.
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Everyone is into the 'cool' indie bands who are all about the ciggarettes, alcohol and painfully skinny jeans.
I don't know why my peers find it hard to understand the music I like. I don't go around dismissing bands I have never heard of. If someone mentions a band I haven't heard of I will check them out and then make my judgement.
The conclusion I have come to is that my peers are simply close-minded, or are liking the same bands to fit in, so to say.
I think popular music is more what they listen to, the UK Top 40/NME bands ect.
Kings of Leon is one that is a favorite at the moment, although I understand they aren't as well loved in America as they are here. The public (that didn't inculde me I hasten to add) voted them best International Act or something like that at The BRIT Awards. However saying that, the BRIT Awards is an industry influenced awards show unlike the Kerrang! Awards for example.
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Kerrang! is awesome.

You're right, Kings Of Leon aren't as popular here, but it seems like the fans they do have aren't fanatical about them. [If that makes sense]. I've known a few people who are into them and don't get super crazy or would even put them as a top 10 favorite so much as a "good for now and then" band to throw on.

I like that you don't dismiss bands you haven't heard of. It's a bad habit to make, and one that people should never make in the first place if they executed proper common sense.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I would just like to mention the Kerrang and all most all other awards cermoneies are industry influenced due to sponsorship etc i.e a complete joke call me cynical by all means but they are.
Back to top Go down
LBAZ
A Contender
A Contender
LBAZ

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:16 pm

I understand but what I mean is Kerrang isn't influenced by people such as Simon Cowel.
At least in Kerrang relatively good rock bands can be nominated and have a chance of winning something than they would in the BRITS. They wouldn't even be considered because they probably haven't got a platinum selling record, several number ones under their belts and 'cash cow' written across their foreheads.

Who wants a number one really? Where do you go from there?
Back to top Go down
MissTiffers
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:28 pm

LBAZ wrote:
Who wants a number one really? Where do you go from there?

That's a good point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 11:42 am

To be honest I like going to gigs with an intimate feel, which those of Gaslight always seem to have. The mainstream, manufactured junk... it's best not to get me started on.

I must say though, I do like Kings of Leon, but not to the extent people seem to want to be seen to be doing (if that makes sense) because they heard one single, bought the album and jumped on the bandwaggon of 'this is great'. You could put the (far superior) first King of Leon album on and they would probably start slating it because they wouldn't recognise the sound.

It really annoys me when people can't make up their own minds about music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: age of fans?   age of fans? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

age of fans?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next