DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt

Go down 
+42
Harbortown
njguy99
Steve70s
Thunder Peel
prettyontheinsidex
aaydmc2
NeverTrustAJunkie
steady now steady now
Kasia
riversedge
bringiton_ty
flannel
PennStateRLZ
RobertODonnell
colmillionaire
jzancan
StitchesOnTheRadio
eagles1139
TGAFAN25
bradleyjp
cdala
zerb012345
ivienco
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Anya_TGA
Mountie
Leigh
Hasler09
Christophe
Rizz
matkins
The Last Jukebox Romeo
mingus
enola
Holland
JimmyB
Jaws
The_River
miked331
pleasepassthesoup
Debonair
Shrewsbury_Stars
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 2:54 pm

JacksSmirkingRevenge wrote:
ivienco wrote:
Well now the drug references are even sadder.

I don't really think it's sadder. It says he has prescriptions BUT he chooses to skip the medication to actually work things out on his own. I think that's brave, as long as his decision does not put anyone in danger (and I don't think it does).

Not that, I'm talking about the lyrics of various songs on the record where he's talking about someone else using drugs and how the relationship's crumbling.  "Your reds, your blues, and your cocaine."  "You only get high on the weekends, why don't you feed on me for a while," that stuff.  I've been in relationships like that and it's awful.

I'll put that on the California girl... Blame everything on that girl.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 2:56 pm

ivienco wrote:

I don't really think it's sadder. It says he has prescriptions BUT he chooses to skip the medication to actually work things out on his own. I think that's brave, as long as his decision does not put anyone in danger (and I don't think it does).

Not that, I'm talking about the lyrics of various songs on the record where he's talking about someone else using drugs and how the relationship's crumbling.  "Your reds, your blues, and your cocaine."  "You only get high on the weekends, why don't you feed on me for a while," that stuff.  I've been in relationships like that and it's awful.

Ooohh, I see what you mean, sorry bout that. It is sad, true, but I think it's just part of life and what he sees around him. Now that you bring it up, I've read tons of people complaining about the drug references in these songs but I just think it's natural he now puts that into words too, he's probably seen some ugly things about substance abuse just like most of us. It just doesn't mean he's into that.
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Christophe wrote:
Great article confirming what I suspected. Really heartbreaking for him and although not married for 10 years I can completely relate to the feelings expressed through the songs I have heard from Get Hurt so far. I can't wait to hear the album properly on Monday, I know it is exactly what I need in my life right now.

The last line “I’m just trying to figure it all out, man.” really struck a chord with me as I am trying to do the same now. I hope I find solace in this album. Thank God for people like Brian.

Believe me, if you're going through something remotely similar to heartbreak, the album will strike more than a few cores. At least, it's been pretty much as cathartic for me as it's apparently been to Brian. Or maybe not as closely cathartic but still very insightful and liberating.

Man, it's hard to talk about feelings, how does he do it?!
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:12 pm

ivienco wrote:
Man, it's hard to talk about feelings, how does he do it?!

I assume it has to come out in a way or another, so if your way of telling people about things is writing songs...

Some others just use food, or sports.
Back to top Go down
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:22 pm

ivienco wrote:
ivienco wrote:

Ooohh, I see what you mean, sorry bout that. It is sad, true, but I think it's just part of life and what he sees around him. Now that you bring it up, I've read tons of people complaining about the drug references in these songs but I just think it's natural he now puts that into words too, he's probably seen some ugly things about substance abuse just like most of us. It just doesn't mean he's into that.

Oh, I have no problem with drug references in songs, it's just hearing about the divorce...that all of them might actually be true really sucks. Poor dude.
Back to top Go down
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 3:26 pm

I've read a lot that the lyrics were the tell tale signs about the divorce...obviously now we know it WAS the inspiration, but I don't know if it was fair to draw it from the lyrics. They could have been characters. Just a thought.

Anyway, clears a lot up, and adds to the perfection of naming this album Get Hurt. I really don't think there was a more appropriate title for this one.

Hope you're doing well, Brian.
Back to top Go down
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:11 pm

zerb012345 wrote:
I've read a lot that the lyrics were the tell tale signs about the divorce...obviously now we know it WAS the inspiration, but I don't know if it was fair to draw it from the lyrics. They could have been characters. Just a thought.

I think Brian did away with character writing on AS, HW lyrics were much more on a personal level, and Get Hurt continues that kind of writing. I actually liked the character writing because it was more different, but these latest lyrics sound good so far. I'm into it.

I'm actually kinda rolling my eyes at all the secrecy in this forum of people going like 'I know some stuff that's going on but can't say' and then it's a divorce. Not that it doesn't suck, it absolutely does, but at the same time it's not really that big a deal these days. I think the mystery about what was going on was feeding the gossip more than if someone had just said, relationship problems.
Back to top Go down
bradleyjp
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
bradleyjp

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 4:20 pm

cdala wrote:
zerb012345 wrote:

I think Brian did away with character writing on AS, HW lyrics were much more on a personal level, and Get Hurt continues that kind of writing. I actually liked the character writing because it was more different, but these latest lyrics sound good so far. I'm into it.

I'm actually kinda rolling my eyes at all the secrecy in this forum of people going like 'I know some stuff that's going on but can't say' and then it's a divorce. Not that it doesn't suck, it absolutely does, but at the same time it's not really that big a deal these days. I think the mystery about what was going on was feeding the gossip more than if someone had just said, relationship problems.

When people have an inside view they like to egg people on. Happens everywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://bradleyjp.me
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 pm

cdala wrote:
Not that it doesn't suck, it absolutely does, but at the same time it's not really that big a deal these days.

If Taylor Swift marries Ed Sheeran and they break up a month later, I'm on board with your statement.

A 10 year marriage, that's a helluva big deal.

Back to top Go down
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:35 pm

He pulls his hand back into the car and drapes it over the steering wheel, his knuckle tattoos which read “Stay Free” point towards the summer sun. The first “e” is notably bare. “I’m just trying to figure it all out, man.”

Just realized that the first "e" is bare because that's where his wedding ring should be. Got the chills big time.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:41 pm

cdala wrote:

I see your point but to be fair it's still one of those things that, if you happened to know, it really wasn't your secret to tell (I'm using "your" to mean any and all of us who knew not you personally). Whether or not it was "that big a deal" by societal standards, it's a big deal for him personally. How could it not be? So it's his right to decide when and how to share.

Also, (not trying to speak for the admins here) but on here, personal stuff with the guys is kinda off limits, at least to a point, unless they've mentioned it specifically or you're speculating off song lyrics.

I think the reason people brought it up at all with the whole "I know stuff but can't say", was because a year ago people were attacking Brian like fuckin' crazy on here and elsewhere. I know I for one was like "cool it, you have no clue what he's going through and I don't know much either but it's definitely something so cut him some slack." Maybe for some people it was to sound "important" but for me and I imagine many others, it was more about getting people to think for five seconds before saying something dumb.

I don't mean to go on a rant  I just hope that clears up the reason for the secrecy. At least, MY reasons.
Back to top Go down
pleasepassthesoup
A Contender
A Contender
pleasepassthesoup

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 5:53 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
cdala wrote:

I see your point but to be fair it's still one of those things that, if you happened to know, it really wasn't your secret to tell (I'm using "your" to mean any and all of us who knew not you personally). Whether or not it was "that big a deal" by societal standards, it's a big deal for him personally. How could it not be? So it's his right to decide when and how to share.

Also, (not trying to speak for the admins here) but on here, personal stuff with the guys is kinda off limits, at least to a point, unless they've mentioned it specifically or you're speculating off song lyrics.

I think the reason people brought it up at all with the whole "I know stuff but can't say", was because a year ago people were attacking Brian like fuckin' crazy on here and elsewhere. I know I for one was like "cool it, you have no clue what he's going through and I don't know much either but it's definitely something so cut him some slack." Maybe for some people it was to sound "important" but for me and I imagine many others, it was more about getting people to think for five seconds before saying something dumb.

I don't mean to go on a rant  I just hope that clears up the reason for the secrecy. At least, MY reasons.

Yeah. It's one of those things where even if you notice him not wearing a ring after years of noticing him wearing one, it's really not cool to talk about it without him acknowledging it. He's a human being and it's purely his own personal business until he decided to share it with the public.
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:20 pm

I just wonder how awkward it should be to divorce from your bass player's sister, but whatever.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:24 pm

The_River wrote:
I just wonder how awkward it should be to divorce from your bass player's sister, but whatever.

My first thought, too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
eagles1139
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
eagles1139

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Yeah, kudos to Brian and Alex for having the maturity to be able to go forward with the band when the incredibly personal lyrics are obviously covering some pretty sensitive territory for both of them.
Back to top Go down
TGAFAN25
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
TGAFAN25

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 pm

eagles1139 wrote:
Yeah, kudos to Brian and Alex for having the maturity to be able to go forward with the band when the incredibly personal lyrics are obviously covering some pretty sensitive territory for both of them.

Amen, I can't imagine how difficult things must have been for them and maybe still are with some much going on behind the scenes.
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

I think the divorce will not influence the band
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Anya_TGA wrote:
I think the divorce will not influence the band

If it was going to then it already did. At least that's what I would think considering it's not like this happened yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm

The_River wrote:

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of.

Edit: I realize I didn't really add anything to the conversation. But I'm sure they able to keep matters separate from one another.
Back to top Go down
colmillionaire
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
colmillionaire

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 pm

First piece Dan Ozzi has written that I'm actually able to stomach/take seriously. Very interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/Colmillionaire
cdala
A Contender
A Contender
cdala

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I totally get this, and I wasn't trying to stir anything up, it was just a thought I had when I read the article. I was like, 'oh, so this was it. huh'

The interview itself was really cool, if a bit short. I miss the big features magazines used to do on bands.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 8:23 pm

cdala wrote:

I totally get this, and I wasn't trying to stir anything up, it was just a thought I had when I read the article. I was like, 'oh, so this was it. huh'

The interview itself was really cool, if a bit short. I miss the big features magazines used to do on bands.

No worries! I didn't think you were. All is cool. And you're probably right that some people may have been behaving that way, I just didn't want you to think it was the only possible reason someone would keep this a secret. But if anyone did behave that way then that's pretty lame.

Yeah I mean I think Gaslight has gotten 1 or 2 longer really good articles in the last year or so but this was the first really good short one I've read in awhile and I wish it was longer too! I'm just glad it confirmed a lot of VERY important suspicions I had. Such as, what happened to his challenger  Razz
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 8:58 pm

After reading the entire thing, I feel like this is the best interview in which he could have addressed the various issues in the least harmful ways. I'm glad he's talking about his divorce and he seems to be in a good place now mentally (and I'm glad we heard about it from him when he was ready, and not from some crazy, overzealous fan digging through his public records, or something). I'm glad he addressed the Springsteen thing in depth, though we all know the comparison in the media isn't going away.

Knowing about the divorce backstory (which I started to suspect after "Dark Places"), my next listen of Get Hurt won't be for a while. After having heard it a couple of times on iTunes, I'm now going to wait until I have my copy, and I can listen to it in CD quality without ads every couple of songs.
Back to top Go down
PennStateRLZ
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm

I was listening to the album on my way to work this morning and heard a lyric (don't remember which one or what song) and it struck me. I thought to myself "whoa, that sounds weird, I wonder if he got divorced or if that's just a perspective lyric." Sure enough, I read this today.

Really puts Rollin & Tumblin into new perspective. Especially the "Great Depression" mentions. After reading this article, I think it was his way of acknowledging his former attitude towards everything.
Back to top Go down
flannel
A Contender
A Contender
flannel

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 am

it's good to see that he's not actually doing drugs. like yeah he can do whatever he wants but I've been a bit concerned for his wellbeing.
I feel like... he is not as famous as they make him out to be though? idk, maybe it's just a seriously local thing, cause I only live in CT and still like nobody knows who Gaslight is and I feel like Brian wouldn't turn a head around these parts, unless maybe it's just cause he has more tattoos than most other people. Like yeah if you've been living in the same county where you grew up for 30 years almost uninterrupted, people are gonna recognize you, but it's not like he's Brad Pitt (or whoever is really famous now, I hear Brad Pitt's a bit past his day to most people...)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt   Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brian Opens Up About Coping With Success, Divorce, & His Need to Make Get Hurt
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next