DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'

Go down 
+31
enola
Prisoner
ral
mingus
MKULTRA
RobertODonnell
Harbortown
bringiton_ty
NeverTrustAJunkie
JimmyB
ivienco
zerb012345
The_M23
magnificentdreamer
Jaws
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
pepperedham
njguy99
mja271
angryjohnny27
DeathoftheCool
jzancan
riversedge
eagles1139
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
Yozzy
JacksSmirkingRevenge
Hanswurst
The_River
The Last Jukebox Romeo
steady now steady now
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 12:50 pm

The_M23 wrote:
Let's not get too paranoid. Negative reviews suck, but these reviewers aren't thinking about Gaslight or listening to Gaslight on a normal basis. There aren't any vendettas here. They're just reviewing the records as they get them.

Maybe not vendettas, but take this from the Plattentest review (see above):

'The cover of the new release is graced by a heart turned unto its rounded side - creationist and do-gooder Fallon is definitely not going to turn crucifixes upside down.'

["Das Cover der Neuveröffentlichung ziert ein auf seine Rundungen gestelltes Herz – Kreuze dreht Kreationist und Gutmensch Fallon ganz sicher nicht um."]

Totally needless and pointless comment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
The Last Jukebox Romeo
Wooderson
Wooderson
The Last Jukebox Romeo

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 1:00 pm

The_River wrote:
If the press hates it, it's probably a masterpiece.

Very true, how many times do we see albums and films etc written off critically only to be heralded as masterpieces later down the line?

Also, that Slant review is dreadful...it sounds like he just skipped through the album quickly and then penned the review mostly on his preconceived notions of the band. Also, you could really do some kind of bingo with Gaslight reviews....how many times is Bruce mentioned? How many times are the Replacements mentioned? Nostalgia? They seem to ALWAYS be there.

Last edited by The Last Jukebox Romeo on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
magnificentdreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
magnificentdreamer

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 3:21 pm

The_M23 wrote:

I reread that review just to see what you were referring to and Harris isn't knocking Fallon. He's talking about the narrator in "45" who sings high school angst lines like "Have you seen my heart?  Have you seen how it bleeds?"  

Let's not get too paranoid. Negative reviews suck, but these reviewers aren't thinking about Gaslight or listening to Gaslight on a normal basis. There aren't any vendettas here. They're just reviewing the records as they get them.

True, calling it a "vendetta" was over the top, but a lot of these reviewers are way too eager take shots at Brian and base their reviews off of their preconceived notions of the band. I think you're right about that line about '45' being more about the narrator than Brian himself, but that whole "emotional snobbery" thing was still totally unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Much better news from Kerrang! magazine and a much more sensitive review:

4/5 ("New Jersey Devils return with commanding and varied fifth album" & "at its best, Get Hurt is brilliant")

Kerrang!
magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Kerrang-rev-2014
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
zerb012345
Wooderson
Wooderson
zerb012345

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't own a copy, nor is it online, but the US Rolling Stone gave it...get this...3.5. I think that's the only rating I've ever seen them give them.
It's in the Katy Perry issue if you wanna confirm.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Millburys_Shoe
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Mike_Millburys_Shoe

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 pm

HAPPY THOUGHTS! THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS!
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Brian retweeted the Slant review.

lol! 
Back to top Go down
ivienco
A Contender
A Contender
ivienco

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 3:06 pm

great, things are shaping up! not that I care about a bunch of wannabees' bitter reviews on what they would love to do but never could...
Back to top Go down
JimmyB
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
JimmyB

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Gosh, Those articles make me want to throw up (Although the reviewers would probably call the sound of vomiting a masterpiece). Learn to write reviewers..... The major magazines love Katy Perry and Beiber-yet their stuff is junk, so whatever they call junk must be amazing.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 3:29 pm

I actually laughed all the way through the Slant review. It was so over the top! I don't think they know what "hair metal" sounds like either. So for me, it wasn't scary or painful to read. It was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 5:45 am

The fact that Slant used "Rollin and tumblin" and "stay vicious" as examples of songs to slag off on the new album is pretty great actually as I really like them Smile Gives me more hope for this album
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 am

It's like the Slant piece is satire written by the band itself, like when Four Year Strong reviewed their own album and completely trashed it.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 8:11 am

Also, Blood on the Tracks got a lukewarm reception on release so that proves anything can be a masterpiece along the road. Fuckin Blood on the Tracks!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 8:31 am

JimmyB wrote:
The major magazines love Katy Perry and Beiber-yet their stuff is junk, so whatever they call junk must be amazing.
Well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man
Back to top Go down
RobertODonnell
Wooderson
Wooderson
RobertODonnell

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 am

bringiton_ty wrote:
The fact that Slant used "Rollin and tumblin" and "stay vicious" as examples of songs to slag off on the new album is pretty great actually as I really like them Smile Gives me more hope for this album

Yeah, I feel like I'm probably in the minority that likes those two songs a lot and not "Get Hurt" much at all. Then again, I don't want to fall into the trap of confirmation bias ("These reviews trashed the album, but I think the Kerrang and Absolute Punk reviews are the only ones with merit, because they were positive!"). I'll just have to see for myself, and hopefully it's streaming soon so I can do that.
Back to top Go down
MKULTRA
Wooderson
Wooderson
MKULTRA

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 1:04 pm

Harbortown wrote:
JimmyB wrote:
The major magazines love Katy Perry and Beiber-yet their stuff is junk, so whatever they call junk must be amazing.
Well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man

Yeah do these magazines really "love" the biebs? And Brian likes some Katy Perry songs so maybe give them another look jimmy!

Also, the great thing about the lebowski quote in the movie is that its used in a situation where you wouldn't expect it. The movie deals with a lot of speculation and philosophy, but that line comes after "we're going to fuck you up!"

Anyway, it's kinda a pet peeve when people use the line in a more conventional way. But also, who gives a shit. I don't know why I'm still talking about this.

Back to top Go down
mingus
A Contender
A Contender
mingus

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

http://www.hmv.com/music/first-spin-the-gaslight-anthem-s-get-hurt

A track by track review
Back to top Go down
Jaws
A Contender
A Contender
Jaws

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2014 4:28 pm

Sounding pretty positive. That's also the second Killers/Brandon Flowers reference I've heard in regards to Get Hurt.
Back to top Go down
riversedge
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
riversedge

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:09 am

http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt

7/10 ("Some rock 'n' roll of the purest kind")

Short (very) and sweet (ish).
Back to top Go down
njguy99
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
njguy99

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Review: The Gaslight Anthem's 'Get Hurt' finds catharsis, strength in endless heartache
Strip away the glossy, nostalgic lines touting vinyl records, handwritten letters and grandma’s old radio, and here’s what’s left of The Gaslight Anthem : a songwriter’s bruised underbelly and a cycle of self-prescribed torment.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2014/08/review_the_gaslight_anthems_get_hurt_finds_catharsis_strength.html
Back to top Go down
magnificentdreamer
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
magnificentdreamer

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 pm

"Most definitely not something you would ever have expected from The Gaslight Anthem, but certainly the kind of thing they, and the fans, needed." (4/5 Stars)

http://www.examiner.com/review/the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt-album-review-streaming-now-on-itunes-radio
Back to top Go down
ral
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ral

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 am

here's the Rolling Stone review

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Gh-rs10
Back to top Go down
The_River
A Contender
A Contender
The_River

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 am

David Fricke, I'm sorry, but you have not a single clue what a metal guitar is. Or maybe Jimmy Page is playing for Pantera now?
Back to top Go down
Prisoner
Wooderson
Wooderson
Prisoner

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 am

http://renownedforsound.com/index.php/album-review-the-gaslight-anthem-get-hurt/

A positive review, but the writer keeps spelling Fallon as 'Fullon' hahaha.
Back to top Go down
mja271
A Contender
A Contender

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

I've seen multiple reviews cite Have Mercy as the last track of the album, which is concerning to me. It should be clear that the album proper is 12 songs ending with Dark Places. Even though I love the bonus tracks, I think 4 extra songs that weren't intended for the proper release could negatively impact some reviews. As a whole those songs push the record to being a bit bloated and directionless at the end (because they're not a true part of the record). I just wonder how that confusion has happened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'   magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt' - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

magazine etc. reviews/ratings of 'Get Hurt'
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next