DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)

Go down 
+17
RobertODonnell
Ryan
Daire
jzancan
NDTGA
curly
Ivefoundgod
Little Eden
CluckyB
SuperBrickDude
andy.mac
steph
Jeff
kieran
simo
Jack
steady now steady now
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Empty
PostSubject: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Uncut (July): 5/5 & album of the month (three page Q&A with Brian, incl. photos, and two page review)

Big Cheese (June): 5/5 (four page feature, incl. photos, and one third of a page review)

Rock Sound (June): 9/10 & album of the month (one and and a half page review with Q&A, incl. photos)

Q (July): 4/5 (two page review, incl. photos)

Kerrang (12 June): 4/5 (one and a fifth page review adn Q&A, incl. photos)

Alternative Press (July): 4/5

NME (12 June): 7/10 (half page review, incl. photos)

Rolling Stone (June): 3.5/5

Mojo [UK] (July): 3/5 (approx. four column inches)

to be continued ...

Last edited by steady now steady now on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 6:40 pm

What's up Mojo's ass? Pretty sure they're the dicks that belittled The '59 Sound as an acceptable replacement for those burned out on Stay Positive.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
simo
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
simo

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:30 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
What's up Mojo's ass? Pretty sure they're the dicks that belittled The '59 Sound as an acceptable replacement for those burned out on Stay Positive.

Haha, what a dumb remark.

Honestly I can't comment much on Stay Positive. I rock out to the first two tracks and then hit the skip backward button twice. I don't get to the rest of the album often.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 12:58 am

simo wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Haha, what a dumb remark.

Honestly I can't comment much on Stay Positive. I rock out to the first two tracks and then hit the skip backward button twice. I don't get to the rest of the album often.

I'm actually a big fan of The Hold Steady, but it was just such a dumb comment. Craig Finn is more a lyricist who's learned to write melodies while Brian's been doing both extremely well from the get-go.
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 am

JohnnyC wrote:

Wow a magazine writer has a differing opinion you and most of us on here what a dick. Not saying I agree but it doesn't make them a dick.

Magazine reviews mean shit anyway I cant remember the last time I decided to check out an album based on what a magazine said.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
A Contender
A Contender
Jeff

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm

The last time I listened to a magazine article I found out about Titus Andronicus. The time before that I found out about The Gaslight Anthem.

*Shrug*
Back to top Go down
kieran
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
kieran

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:13 am

Fair enough I find out about most bands through places like this and friends recommendations personally. Nevermind though.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:22 am

in the new Rolling Stone (with that awkward Russell Brand on the cover) "Boxer" is listed as a single of the month.

also, 4 tunes from "American Slang" are available for download as ringtones thru Verizon.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 am

steph wrote:
also, 4 tunes from "American Slang" are available for download as ringtones thru Verizon.

oh no; I hate what ringtones have done to music
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 pm

kieran wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Wow a magazine writer has a differing opinion you and most of us on here what a dick. Not saying I agree but it doesn't make them a dick.

Magazine reviews mean shit anyway I cant remember the last time I decided to check out an album based on what a magazine said.

It wasn't "Oh, no, he doesn't like Gaslight." It was the whole belittling Gaslight as a somehow second-rate Hold Steady clone. That's lazy writing, which most of rock journalism is nowadays.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:50 am

They got 4/5 stars in the Australia/NZ Rolling Stone (not sure how it's different from the American version)

Anyway, the reviewer goes on to say 'the only difference between American Slang and The 59 Sound is that this, the band's third album, is better, the constant roadwork and closer attention to songwriting working in their favour'

Also steady now the Q June issue is the one with Paul McCartney on the front yeah? Cause I've looked a few times and I can't see anything about them in there.
Back to top Go down
SuperBrickDude
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
SuperBrickDude

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:13 am

Alternative Press magazine gave it a 4/5, a good rating.

However, I was bemused by the suggested / similar music column...they suggested Bon Iver's For Emma Forever Ago (another one of my favorite artists) if you liked American Slang...I can tell you the albums aren't too similar.
Back to top Go down
andy.mac
Wooderson
Wooderson
andy.mac

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:21 am

steady now steady now wrote:
steph wrote:

Really? I thoroughly enjoy my Souljah Boi ringtone.

Crank that, superman, crank that.
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Not a magazine review, but Chris Fallon's review on absolutepunk is up and it is a really good read

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1736662

Not sure if what he sees in the album is what they were going for, but I'm interested if people who have heard the whole thing agree with his take.

*personally agrees with a lot of Fallon's reviews so this just further removes any doubt weather or not the record will be good*
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm

andy.mac wrote:
Also steady now the Q June issue is the one with Paul McCartney on the front yeah? Cause I've looked a few times and I can't see anything about them in there.

Ooops. It's the July one (Muse v U2).
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:12 pm

The June 2010 issue of Big Cheese gives the album 5 stars and includes a four page feature, incl. photos, and a one third of a page review.

Extract: "The Gaslight Anthem have created the all-American album that travels by keeping its subject matter to that which everyone can relate to: the pain of a broken heart, salvation from the radio and love by the lights of the bar. Essential." & "The record is a perfect marriage of expert storytelling, superb musicianship and classic melodies."

'American Slang' is also the first song on the cover CD.

Last edited by steady now steady now on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 pm

andy.mac wrote:
steph wrote:

Really? I thoroughly enjoy my Souljah Boi ringtone.

Crank that, superman, crank that.

^ I am judging you.
Back to top Go down
Little Eden
Wooderson
Wooderson
Little Eden

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

SuperBrickDude wrote:
Alternative Press magazine gave it a 4/5, a good rating.

However, I was bemused by the suggested / similar music column...they suggested Bon Iver's For Emma Forever Ago (another one of my favorite artists) if you liked American Slang...I can tell you the albums aren't too similar.

I'm really diggin the 25th anniversary edition with all of the photoshoots! The fact that there's a full AS review is just decadant icing on the cake magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Herz
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Kerrang (12 June) gives the album 4/5. It's its main album, review (one and a fifth pages with a brief Q&A with Brian). "Everywhere here, there are big rock songs, purpuse-built for arenas and FM radio playlists, with driving riffs where open chords were once struck."

NME (12 June) only gives the album 7/10 in a half page review, incl. photos. The review actually praises the album considerably, so the comparatively low score comes as a suprise. The albumj cover appears in another column as "worst sleeve of the week" (ouch).
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:34 pm

3 1/2 stars from Rolling Stone (new issue with Jay-Z on the cover)
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 pm

For what it's worth, The Guardian (which gave them a glowing write up last June), gives it a 2/5. However, the review doesn't really review the album, but the band, so it's arguably a nonsense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/10/gaslight-anthem-american-slang-review

Last edited by steady now steady now on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:36 pm

steph wrote:

thanks. Steph; I also pleased to see that they are on the 'cover', if you can call it that, of the Rolling Stone website, at least right now (I think other 'covers' come up as you reload, but I've had TGA most of the time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/
Back to top Go down
CluckyB
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
CluckyB

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 pm

steph wrote:

thanks. Steph; I also pleased to see that they are on the 'cover', if you can call it that, of the Rolling Stone website, at least right now (I think other 'covers' come up as you reload, but I've had TGA most of the time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/

I didn't see the cover, but they listed Gaslight in their "30 sets to see at Bonnaroo" with the blurb

Quote :

New Jersey's second hardest-working band made a worthy splash with 2008's gutsy The '59 Sound.
Packed with heart-on-sleeve lyrics and meat-n-potatoes blue-collar punk
instrumentation, the group radiated ragged charm and steely
determination. Their upcoming American Slang is even better,
incorporating dashes of gospel and R&B into the band's rugged
formula. Live they're dynamos, barely breathing between songs and
tossing lyrics from classics by the Clash and Social Distortion into
their own roaring compositions.

Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

CluckyB wrote:
I didn't see the cover, but they listed Gaslight in their "30 sets to see at Bonnaroo" with the blurb

magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) RS%20cv
Back to top Go down
Ivefoundgod
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Ivefoundgod

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 8:35 pm

For what it's worth, The Guardian (which gave them a glowing right up last June), gives it a 2/5. However, the review doesn't really review the album, but the band, so it's arguably a nonsense.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/10/gaslight-anthem-american-slang-review

Pretty poor review allright but that journalist is an idiot, some of his other stuff, not just music reviews but everything else he writes is 99% stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)   magazine review ratings thread (American Slang) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

magazine review ratings thread (American Slang)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next