DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Red Bulletin: My game, my rules

Go down 
+4
DeathoftheCool
Debonair
Anya_TGA
Halcyon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Halcyon
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning
Halcyon

Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Empty
PostSubject: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 pm

http://www.redbull.de/cs/Satellite/de_DE/Article/Red-Bulletin--Mein-Spiel,-meine-Regeln-021243360812664

Unfortunately this is in German, but it sounds interesting.. It starts with Brian saying that this March they were thinking about breaking up.
Has someone seen the whole interview?
Back to top Go down
Anya_TGA
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Anya_TGA

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 2:27 pm

wow, it's a very interesting article, thanks for sharing. Now I want to read on Very Happy
I've got a shock after I had read that they had the thought to break up...
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Here's the interview just thrown through google translate. A little off but you'll get the idea.

Quote :
How it feels to be trapped in their own success , and how there comes out again : Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem about his emancipation from Bruce Springsteen.

It was on 30 March 2013 at the Troxy , a pretty big London event venue , late at night, backstage . "Suddenly it felt as if everything said. We thought, 'Why we do anything at all ' And suddenly there were thought to call it quits ... serious thought , "says Brian Fallon, the frontman of the band The Gaslight Anthem . No shouting matches , he adds , no, no thrown against the wall of beer cans . Nothing . Only a civilized , calm conversation about it , dissolve the band.
We're in New York, at Artichoke Basille 's Pizza , as Fallon tells the story of that night , "no one knew the story before." The July heat wave is indeed survived , but it was late at night still over 30 degrees and a humidity like in the jungle.
" Brutal ! How many degrees has it ... 38 "asks Fallon . It is a rhetorical question , as he gets to work on a piece of Margherita with fresh basil.
Thanks to the air conditioning of the room is bearable , but not really cool. Brian Fallon has performed in places such as London's Wembley Stadium behind, but most comfortable he still feels in simple , low-cost places like this. He knows a whole bunch of pizzerias in New Jersey, where you can eat cheaply , he says. Movies he invites down on iTunes because they are cheaper there a dollar than at his cable provider.
Fallon grew up in New Jersey, near the beach. In New Brunswick, a college town between New York and Philadelphia, he founded , guitarist Alex Rosamilia , drummer Benny Horowitz and Alex Levine bassist - of course all in the then obligatory punk outfits - one day her band .
In 2007, she released her first album "Sink or Swim " and went on tour with it . They rarely played in front of more than 150 people , Fallon was already mid-twenties .
" Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain were 27 dead," he says. "We had just started times. And no clue as to whether all this would lead to something. With the income of a show we were able to afford the trip to the next just us . Yes, of course , our parents supported us, but in between were phrases like , 'Maybe you should consider a plan B ' . We had to get the words on the series . And pretty quickly. "
In summer 2008, published The Gaslight Anthem " The '59 Sound" , a terrific mix of punk and Americana. A great achievement . The album was like a micro directly to the roots of American music. Two sold out shows at the legendary Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey , one of the most famous venues ever.
" I DO NOT WANT ONLY CHORDS PLUCK , I WANT TO PLAY RIFF . "
It all sounds ( more than ) a bit like the plot of a Springsteen song? Because what truth to it . The Boss was also famous among other things, with performances at the Stone Pony . Bruce Springsteen had the biography of The Gaslight Anthem practical demonstrations lives with his E Street Band before were even born. Four Jersey boys from working class families who dream in their Converse them to live by rock ' n ' roll. Bruce is responsible for this area, which John F. Kennedy was for Boston: one of them, who has really done it .
As The Gaslight Anthem with " The '59 Sound" were on tour , hardly came an article about the band without reference to Springsteen. 2009 Bruce made ​​the relationship with the band , so to speak officially , when he, along with The Gaslight Anthem played " The '59 Sound" at Glastonbury Festival in Scotland.
A great honor for the band and a further push for their career. But it is enough to hear a Gaslight song or good five minutes to talk to Fallon, to get an idea of ​​how diverse Fallon influences. All the time he mentions people who have inspired him, " while I have The '59 Sound ' written, it was , for example, Sam Cooke ."
Fallon loves the Rolling Stones. He raves about Mike Ness . It shows a tattoo that expresses his admiration for Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs ( and was, moreover , engraved by Bryan Kienlen , Bouncing Souls bassist ) . He forgets in almost any conversation on describing Pearl Jam as his favorite band . On this hot evening in July it talks about Bob Dylan. And then on Lawrence Arms , Steve Earle, Lucero , and , and, and.
Read the full story in the December / January issue of the Red Bulletin .
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 4:04 pm

on all accounts it seemed like the band was going through some shit in march of last year. I saw them a month later and they seemed relatively happy and energetic but it felt like they had changed themselves in order to move forward - the way the band played, the standard tuning, etc. They were in survival mode
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 6:41 pm

fuck. this seems to be some reeeeally interisting stuff!! can't wait for the whole story.

ON another note: do the guys have some sorta deal with red bull - or do they just like this brand??
ya know: Alex and Ian wearing redbull-shirts, this redbull-music-academy thing, this other show in america which was kinda sponsored by redbull, the concert with the souls where they picked some newcomer artists which also was sponsored by red bull.

And now the first time they talk about this BIG topic of "brake up thoughts" is in a redbull-magazin..

well, i like conspiracy theories Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 pm

So at the end of the article it says the whole story would be in the december/january-issue. But i can't find it in there!? Suspect 

http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_de_lowres
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
So at the end of the article it says the whole story would be in the december/january-issue. But i can't find it in there!? Suspect 

Starts on page 50. Anyone care to translate? wave 
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Debonair wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:

well i got this on page 50!??? Shocked 
Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Bildsc11
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
Debonair wrote:
Hanswurst wrote:

well i got this on page 50!??? Shocked 
Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Bildsc11

Hmm weird I'm looking at it right now... (Can't understand a word though Wink )

This is the link in my browser

http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_ch_lowres#

If that doesn't work I'll upload the screen shots.
Back to top Go down
Hanswurst
Wooderson
Wooderson
Hanswurst

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:23 pm

ok nevermind.
In the new zeland issue the whole article in english is on page 75 Wink
http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_nz_lowres
Back to top Go down
Debonair
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
Debonair

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Hanswurst wrote:
ok nevermind.
In the new zeland issue the whole article in english is on page 75 Wink
http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_nz_lowres
Thank you from a lazy un-cultured American! Hug  Razz cheers 
Back to top Go down
DeathoftheCool
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
DeathoftheCool

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Benny wants to do John Bonham grooves, Alex R on piano, Ian on slide guitar.
Praise jesus. I'm glad they're set on changing and moving away from the older sound, that's what i was hoping for cheers 
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 12:23 am

Great article, and thanks for finding the english version! Google translate wasn't cutting it, haha.

I hope the fact that Brian talked about this publicly means they're confident that the idea of breaking up is behind them for the time being at least. If they broke up because they had nothing left to say, or they just needed to move on, I'd be devastated but I'd understand. If they broke up because the Springsteen shit is still going on...I'd be damn near murderous towards every "journalist", "fan", etc. who's relentlessly made those stupid connections, shouted "Bruce" at shows etc. since 2009 (I'm not talking about the few legitimate comparisons, but well, you guys know what I'm talking about) Evil or Very Mad 

Honestly though, if they had done it, it probably would've backfired. Their legacy would've been "that New Jersey band that broke up because of too many Springsteen comparisons" and TGA deserves a better legacy than that.

Who knows, maybe this'll be the best thing that has ever happened to them?! All those changes/ideas they mentioned in the article could be really cool. Smile
Back to top Go down
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
A Contender
A Contender
sandyangryjohnnyormary?

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 am

DeathoftheCool wrote:
Benny wants to do John Bonham grooves, Alex R on piano, Ian on slide guitar.
Praise jesus. I'm glad they're set on changing and moving away from the older sound, that's what i was hoping for cheers 
I was slowly resigning myself to the fact that I no longer care much about this band, but this sounds amazing. Handwritten was just a shot in the wrong direction IMO. Happens to the best of 'em.
Back to top Go down
steady now steady now
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steady now steady now

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.gaslightanthem.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Bulletin: My game, my rules    Red Bulletin: My game, my rules  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Red Bulletin: My game, my rules
Page 1 of 1