DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Five Band's Game

Go down 
+2
jzancan
The Angry Johnny Revue
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 pm

Pick 5 artists that you love before reading the questions

1) Gaslight Anthem
2) The Hold Steady
3) Lucero
4) Drive By Truckers
5) Ryan Adams

-------------------------------------------------

What was the first song you ever heard by 1?
The '59 Sound. Had gotten bored of modern music, but one day I switched on the rock music channel and this song came on in a Top 50 Songs of the week at 26. I couldn't believe how different it ws to the usual pop-punk garbage that channel usually played. Eventually started hearing that song everywhere I went, and I was hooked.

What is your favourite song by 5?
To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High) First song off of his first album. Such a great song to start your career off with.

What kind of impact has 1 left in your life?
My favourite band by a longshot. Wherever I go their music is always with me.

What are your favorite lyrics of 5?
I met your sister and I married her in July,
But if only to be closer to you, Caroline

How many times have you seen 4 live?
Never, but soon hopefully.

What is your favorite song by 2?
Lord, I'm Discouraged.

Is there any song by 3 that makes you sad?
Pretty much anything from Tennessee. In Particular Slow Dancing and Nights Like These.

What is your favorite song by 1?
Even Cowgirls Get The Blues. I made a lengthy post about why here, too lazy to repost it.

When did you first get into 2?
Four years ago I read an article called "10 bands you probably don't know but need to know" in one of my
dad's music magazines heard, THS were at 8. A few months later I heard "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"
on a skateboard videogame.

What is your favorite song by 4?
Zip City

What is a good memory concerning 1?
As well as everything mentioned in the favourite song post. Listening to them on the school bus every morning without fail for the last year and a bit. Oh and of course seeing Bruce Springsteen get up on stage with them earlier this month.

Is there a song by 2 that makes you sad?
First Night. Very similar sounding to Lord, I'm Discouraged.

What is your favorite song of 3?
Sing Me No Hymns. Was a bit iffy on Lucero until I heard Rebels, Rogues & Sworn Brothers, this song in particular is what sold them for me.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:27 pm

1) Gaslight Anthem
2) Bruce Springsteen
3) Barenaked Ladies
4) The Clash
5) The Beatles

Old White Lincoln. I had gotten really bored with music, just listening to the same 3 or so bands for a couple years, and wasn't finding anything new to me that struck a chord. I had heard a lot of great bands, just nothing that really stuck. Then a buddy of mine told me to look up TGA, and this was the first song on YouTube that came up. Wasn't bored with music anymore.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...it's hard to pick a favorite Beatles song, but this is the one that I find playing in my head most frequently.

I think I first listened to TGA at the perfect moment of my life. I listened to The '59 Sound (album) as I was getting over a breakup with a longtime girlfriend, was part way through college and trying to figure out where and how I wanted my life to carry on, all while dealing with some pretty tremendous past mistakes. The '59 Sound had a lot of reflection and confusion throughout it, so it was perfect timing and made me fall in love with the band's music.

Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom
Let it be.

They broke up around the time I was born, so...never

I can never decide on my all time favorite Springsteen song, but I always tend to come back to Lost in the Flood from his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ. The imagery is so wild, and when the full band kicks in, it becomes what would happen if Bob Dylan wrote a rap song. Fantastic.

Contrary to popular belief, BNL has a shit ton of sad/dark songs. If I had to pick one, I'd say What a Good Boy from their first album, Gordon. Or The Old Apartment, which isn't a sad song but I have a lot of history with it.

Old White Lincoln. It started the TGA obsession and is the song I play acoustically most frequently (more frequently than event he songs I write). I love playing it through then picking different songs to sing in the bridge. For those guitarists out there, I like to sing in the bridge:

"Left my home in Norfolk, VA, California on my mind." -- Promised Land, Chuck Berry
"I can't think of a better way to spend the night, than speeding around underneath the yellow lights." -- London's Burning, The Clash
"I know we don't live here anymore, we bought an old house on the Danforth." -- The Old Apartment, Barenaked Ladies
"All the other kids with the pumped up kicks better run, run, run, run from my gun." -- Pumped Up Kicks, Foster the People (don't typically like pop records, but their debut is awesome).
"Put a little something in our lemonade and take it with us, we're half awake in a fake empire." Fake Empire, The National
"Catch a cannonball, now take my down the line, my bags are sinking low..." The Weight, The Band

There are others I throw in on a whim, but I usually alternate between those.

My mom was a big Boss fan, so I had heard him, but didn't know much. I bought The Rising for my mom for Christmas when I was 14, then heard Greetings (which was kind of a mind fuck since the only album I had really heard was The Rising), then it took off from there.

While I love Lost in the Supermarket, I have to give the Favorite Clash Song title to Janie Jones.

The first Gaslight show I saw was in Richmond, VA, which wasn't too far of a drive from where I was living at the time, and despite me already seeing all the bootlegs I could find of them live, I was totally caught off guard and thrilled when they started playing If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett, my favorite country song of all time, during the interlude of Angry Johnny and the Radio.

The Promise, solo piano version Tracks.

When I think about Barenaked Ladies, I'll always immediately jump to The Old Apartment, although I haven't listened to it in forever. Aside from that one, I'd have to say, currently, at least, Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 pm

1. Bad Religion
2. Greg Laswell
3. The Gaslight Anthem
4. Midnight Oil
5. Metallica

Sinister Rouge. Back then (2004) I was a metalhead and hated the melodic punk rock I was hearing. Now it's one of my favorite songs.

Hero of the day. It's my father's favorite Metallica song so it always makes me think of him. He can be such an oaf but he's always been a terrific dad. I love that song.

I listened to Bad Religion for hours and hours every single day in high school. They kept me thinking about religion, politics, social issues, that kind of stuff. I've always liked to reflect upon things and Bad Religion just helped reinforce that.

The window burns to light the way back home
A light that warms no matter where they've gone
- Hero of the day

Zero times! They disbanded in the early 2000's, which is a shame, because I would fucking love to see 'em.

Comes and goes (in waves), because it breaks my heart every time.

Hmm...No, The Gaslight Anthem helps me keep my sanity. But She loves you has made me tear up a time or two.

They've literally got hundreds of songs so it's tough, but I'll have to say American Jesus. It's their anthem. It's my anthem.

My ex sent me some of his songs and I quickly started loving them. She was kind of my gateway into a lot of indie/folk music.

Extremely tough question because they have so many good ones that mean a ton to me. Probably E-beat. I only recently got into it but it's like therapy for me.

Seeing them live in 2010. Best concert I've ever been to, I was in tears of joy from beginning to end.

Haha, oh yes. Pretty much most of them.

American Slang! Hands down!

It kinda strengthened me through a very tough time in my life. It's just one of those songs that you can sing along to and feel happy and sad at the same time.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Great idea, Angry Johnny Revue!

1. Bob Dylan
2. Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers)
3. Bruce Springsteen (and the E Street Band)
4. The Gaslight Anthem
5. The Eagles

What was the first song you heard by 1?

Probably "Blowin' in the Wind" when I was a toddler. I grew up listening to Dylan, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, anything my parents listened to, but didn't really get into his music until high school when I heard "Like a Rolling Stone" one afternoon after a really hard day at school. It blew my mind and it's still my favorite song today.

What is your favorite song by 5?

"Heartache Tonight". It's a little bit painful, a little bit fun, completely honest, and it rocks.

Dylan has shown me that one person's words really can affect people, even generations of people. He also showed me that great songs are poetry set to music and you should always voice your opinion because what you have to say matters. You never know who's listening.

City girls just seem to find out early/
How to open doors with just a smile.

and

She wonders how it ever got this crazy/
She thinks about a boy she knew in school/
Did she get tired or did she just get lazy/
She's so far gone she feels just like a fool.

Both of those are from "Lyin' Eyes", a painfully beautiful song.

Never, but I'm hoping to next time they tour!

"Mary Jane's Last Dance". I love everything about it.

Definitely, but that's not a bad thing. "Dancing in the Dark" makes me a little sad because I can relate to the frustration that comes through the music. Also "Born in the U.S.A." because it makes me think about how many people suffered horribly because of the Vietnam War and how America is a less than perfect country. Bruce has a way of writing and singing that never makes me feel bummed out, he just make me feel the music very deeply.

"Like a Rolling Stone". It's an anthem that has stood the test of time for over 40 years.

In high school. I knew his music before that because my mom was a fan, but he became one of my favorites when I was about 15. I used to listen to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' greatest hits over and over again. I think I'm on my third copy of that CD now. I still love Tom Petty songs... Wink

"Bring it On" because I can really relate to it, especially the line "And give me the children you don't want to raise". That song got me through a very difficult summer in 2010. Also "Red at Night" because that song could have been written about me.

When I was a freshman in college, my mom and I drove about five hours to see Bob Dylan play at the Virginia Tech theater. My mom is super cool and the only person I would have wanted to go to that concert with. He played a bunch of my favorite songs, it was a really small venue (only about 2000 seats, I think), and he sounded really good, just like on his old records. His voice has gone downhill since then, so I'm glad I got to go to that concert.

Is there a song by number 2 that makes you sad?

Not really.

It's usually a toss-up between "The River", "Born in the U.S.A." and "Racing in the Street", but today I'll pick "The River". It's such an honest story of middle class America and how things don't always turn out like you plan.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey Shannon, wanna get drunk together and listen to American Slang in its entirety way too loud and sing to your heart's content and talk about how cool California is despite its despicable way too tanned 37 year old males with curly bleach blond hair?
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 pm

jzancan wrote:

[i]Old White Lincoln. It started the TGA obsession and is the song I play acoustically most frequently (more frequently than event he songs I write). I love playing it through then picking different songs to sing in the bridge. For those guitarists out there, I like to sing in the bridge:

"Left my home in Norfolk, VA, California on my mind." -- Promised Land, Chuck Berry

That's fantastic! The Grateful Dead do a great version of "Promised Land" and I can totally see it fitting in with "Old White Lincoln". I sing that every time I get on a plane to CA (leaving the Norfolk airport!).
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Harbortown wrote:
Hey Shannon, wanna get drunk together and listen to American Slang in its entirety way too loud and sing to your heart's content and talk about how cool California is despite its despicable way too tanned 37 year old males with curly bleach blond hair?

Haha! Those guys creep me out.

This may sound strange, but I have never been drunk. I'm not opposed to drinking at all and will have a margarita or something every once in a while, but I'm too much of a control freak to lose control of my ability to think and act rationally. Blasting American Slang sounds like the perfect thing to do today though!
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:56 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
Harbortown wrote:

Haha! Those guys creep me out.

This may sound strange, but I have never been drunk. I'm not opposed to drinking at all and will have a margarita or something every once in a while, but I'm too much of a control freak to lose control of my ability to think and act rationally. Blasting American Slang sounds like the perfect thing to do today though!
Five Band's Game COQdBFive Band's Game QbmVxFive Band's Game Xx5pMFive Band's Game DbVjZFive Band's Game FI1ptFive Band's Game AHfAuFive Band's Game SK5Ol

Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:56 pm

NOT ENOUGH REACTION PICTURES
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:57 pm

Being drunk is so much fun!

It's okay to let yourself go every once in a while. You should try it at least once.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:00 pm

It makes you eligible to post in this thread.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Nope, sorry! If I didn't get drunk in high school or college, I'm not going to now either. It's not like uptight or a buzz kill or anything, I just don't drink to get drunk.

Love the pictures, btw. You have outdone yourself, Harbortown! I especially like the puppy with the suspicious look on his face.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:

Angry Johnny, you're 13. Don't tell me you're drunk! I know it happens, but still...
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Hm, that's a shame! You don't necessarily lose control, though. You can be a rational drunk. The most "embarrassing" thing I've done was saying "Cya around, sugar" to a girl whose number I had just received. I coulda held back on the sugar but whatever. It's your decision though!

Yeah these reaction pictures are pretty cool but I need more. MORE.
Back to top Go down
The Angry Johnny Revue
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
The Angry Johnny Revue

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:18 pm

The Angry Johnny Revue wrote:

Angry Johnny, you're 13. Don't tell me you're drunk! I know it happens, but still...

I'm a good kid. Give it another 2 or 3 years before I make my entrance into that thread.
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:19 pm

I didn't get drunk until I was 17. No need to defile yourself too soon.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Haha, I just realized that you linked the drunk thread, Angry Johnny Revue. My iPad didn't make the link stand out. Whoops! geek
Back to top Go down
NYYFAN523
A Contender
A Contender
NYYFAN523

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:14 pm

1) Gaslight Anthem
2) Weezer
3) Foo Fighters
4) Incubus
5) U2

The Patient Ferris Wheel

Kite

They opened my eyes to a whole genre of rock i was ignoring (punk), and make me proud to be from where I am! (Even though I still wish I never left NY for NJ).

"Who's to say where the wind will take you?
Who's to say what it is will break you?
I don't know which way the wind will blow
Who's to know when the time has come around?
Don't wanna see you cry
I know that this is not goodbye"

Four

Only in Dreams

Friend of a Friend

Cassnova, Baby

When I was 7 or 8 and the Buddy Holly video came out

Warning

When I met them after the recent Asbury Show

Why Bother?

Everlong
Back to top Go down
http://every-word-handwritten.tumblr.com/

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 pm

1) The Appleseed Cast
2) Elliott Smith
3) The Gaslight Anthem
4) Jenny and Johnny
5) Bright Eyes

The Waking Of Pertelotte. On a five hour road trip to my favorite place in the world.

Either 'Something Vague' or 'Poison Oak'. Many tears have been shed with those songs.

They changed my life forever. Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, by some of the nicest guys I've ever met.

"I'm tired of traders always changing sides. They were friends of mine."

"Well I could have been a famous singer
If I had some one else's voice
But failures always sounded better."

"The futures got me worried such awful thoughts, my heads a carousel of pictures the spinning never stops."

None yet! Hopefully they stay together long enough to tour somewhere close to me!

Bled White. "Don't complicate my piece of mind."

Here's Looking At You Kid, or We Did It When We Were Young. But in a good way!

Steps and Numbers.

Christmas of 2007. My dad bought me an iPod Shuffle and I filled it with music from my brother's iTunes, and every album by Elliott was on it. I would spend hours upon hours just listening to his albums on repeat.

Animal. Jenny's background vocals in this song are way too good.

I saw them live once and before the show I was standing outside with a couple people, and they guys from the band all showed up in the parking lot and I went over and talked to them for a bit. Then I stood in the first row for the whole show, and afterwards they gave me a free t-shirt!

Pretty much every song of his has this weird way of making me feel sad and happy at the same time.

Great Expectations. The reason why is in a different thread.
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 6:28 pm

stepsandnumbers wrote:

Either 'Something Vague' or 'Poison Oak'. Many tears have been shed with those songs.

Those are my two favorite Bright Eyes songs aswell. High five!
Back to top Go down
ThisMachineKillsFascists
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
ThisMachineKillsFascists

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 pm

1) The Gaslight Anthem
2) The National
3) Bright Eyes
4) Modest Mouse
5) The Hold Steady

Drive. It was the only track by them that was on Spotify when I first decided to check them out.

How a Resurrection Really Feels. Simple, but oh so catchy guitar riffs, great lyrics. A perfect ending to a great album.

Feels like they have given me lots of life experience. I've become better at dealing with hardships. Their music inspire me to be a better person.

"There are nights when I think Sal Paradise was right" One of the best opening phrases ever. Great reference to one of my favorite books.

None. Sadly. And I probably never will.

Green Gloves or Mr. November

The majority of them. But they also make me feel stronger.

Probably Great Expectations. I can relate so much to this song. It was also the song that got me into them. But it's really hard to pick just one.

After watching an interview in which Brian Fallon said that Boxer was one of the albums he would bring to a desert island. But it was Alligator that got me really hooked.

Trailer Trash. It feels so real and emotional. And Isaac sounds so young.

First time I saw them live when I also met Brian and Benny. We stayed at the same hotel. I was high on that experience for months.

Alot of them. Green Gloves, American Mary, and Terrible Love to name a few.

Something Vague, Poison Oak, Spring Cleaning and Milk Thistle (if I can choose a non Bright Eyes song). Makes me feel sad and grateful to be alive at the same time.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:06 pm

jzancan wrote:

[i]Old White Lincoln. It started the TGA obsession and is the song I play acoustically most frequently (more frequently than event he songs I write). I love playing it through then picking different songs to sing in the bridge. For those guitarists out there, I like to sing in the bridge:

That's fantastic! The Grateful Dead do a great version of "Promised Land" and I can totally see it fitting in with "Old White Lincoln". I sing that every time I get on a plane to CA (leaving the Norfolk airport!).

Haha, have you actually flown out of Norfolk to Cali? I used to live about 20 minutes from Norfolk.

I'll be sure to check out The Grateful Dead's version!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah, a bunch of times, but it's been a while. I love that song!
Back to top Go down

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 am

ThisMachineKillsFascists wrote:
stepsandnumbers wrote:

Those are my two favorite Bright Eyes songs aswell. High five!

haha, right on!! I like that you picked Milk Thistle, too. That song, and that whole album, is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Five Band's Game Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Band's Game   Five Band's Game Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Five Band's Game
Page 1 of 1