DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rolling Stone Q&A

Go down 
+31
Daire
Jack
steph
saltandburn1967
Christophe
brianisbae
rumham
Steve70s
White Man In Hammersmith
Harbortown
Jerseyrain
NeverTrustAJunkie
MKULTRA
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
fatbench
StitchesOnTheRadio
TGAFAN25
ashleybb
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Bea
enola
acousticbandit
Klown
LuceroDiehard
SubconsciousRitual
Rizz
SirBrad
ral
bringiton_ty
Shrewsbury_Stars
gtalbott
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm

@NicholasHorror Good post mate. Most songwriters are aware and very grateful to the people that connect and treasure the songs they write. That's how it should be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Matt L wrote:
See, here's how I see it.
inarticulate wall of text:

Matt, this is probably the most intelligent post in the whole thread. Clap
Back to top Go down
Shrewsbury_Stars
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Shrewsbury_Stars

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I really don't see one side of this debate convincing the other and people should just agree to disagree.

Either you are bothered by certain comments or you're not. If you're not bothered, great, I don't want you to be. But don't tell me I'm "fucking ridiculous" if I feel differently.

The fact is that some people view all things Brian Fallon-related through rose tinted glasses and they drink the Brian Fallon Kool-Aid. And that's fine. I'm just not one of those folks.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Here is part of an interview I did with Frank Turner that gives you an insight as to how it is dealing with fans. Not saying that Brian agrees with Frank 100%, but since they seem to have similar sensibilities about things, I am sure he can relate.
Spoiler:

Shrewsbury- I've seen people say extremely dumb things to band members. For example, I've seen idiots try to encourage a known recovering alcoholic to get drunk with them, and groupie girls hit on band members while wives are standing RIGHT THERE. People are ridiculous and I fully believe someone would say something that stupid to Brian and that they say it enough that it's kind of freaking him out. He's just being real. That's it.

WingsForWheels wrote:
NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
His answers are only as new and interesting as the questions he's asked are.

Quote :
You opened with "May," one of the slower songs off Handwritten.

it would just be nice if he gave some insight into why he thinks Mae is a good opener instead of just relating it all back to his thing about how he doesn't care what people think and how the band will do what it feels like.
I don't know what you're getting at here. This was his answer to that question.
Quote :
It's real slow. It's odd. People are like, 'Why are you doing that? Why are you starting with a slow song?' It's because that's what we do. When we're playing our own shows, we kind of have this flow that goes much like a play. For us it's just night to night. It's different. You're coming to see us, but whatever you get, that's what you get. Some nights you get, as they say, the hits set. Or some nights you get the weird set. I'm not gonna go out there and play the same thing every night. Some bands do that. It drives me crazy. Fortunately for us, there's not like really a "hit song."
It's impossible to satisfy everyone in the crowd. What is the problem with what he said here? scratch

Last edited by NeverTrustAJunkie on Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm

just to clear this up, i'm not "drinking the Brian Fallon kool-aid". my position on this topic actually has very little to do w/ Brian Fallon, but with any "famous" or semi-well known public person who has to deal with this issue.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:
I really don't see one side of this debate convincing the other and people should just agree to disagree.

Either you are bothered by certain comments or you're not. If you're not bothered, great, I don't want you to be. But don't tell me I'm "fucking ridiculous" if I feel differently.

The fact is that some people view all things Brian Fallon-related through rose tinted glasses and they drink the Brian Fallon Kool-Aid. And that's fine. I'm just not one of those folks.

I agree mate. We are all entiltled to our opinions here. Telling us were ridiculous for taking Brians attitude the way we have is ridiculous. Brian seems to idolize Strummer in a way he tells us not too with him so that also seems ridiculous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Shrewsbury_Stars wrote:

Straw man argument!

Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

steph wrote:
just to clear this up, i'm not "drinking the Brian Fallon kool-aid". my position on this topic actually has very little to do w/ Brian Fallon, but with any "famous" or semi-well known public person who has to deal with this issue.

It's only an issue if you can't accept that some people are bloody odd. That's no reason to treat everyone like they could be potential bunny boilers.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 pm

steph wrote:

THIS.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Quote :
Theyve mentioned meet and greets in the fan club and if they intend to do this then they wont be meeting fans at shows anyway as it would take the shine off those that got a meet and greet.
Have also personally seen bands meet people out at the bus after charging fans inside for a meet and greet.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:20 pm

Then again hes in the wrong game and naive if he thinks you can play in a "BIG BAND" and not have these issues with some fans or a loss of privacy. But a decent fan is always respectful of this and doesnt try to interupt their lives. and its decent fans who watch these video interviews when they pop up.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:22 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
Quote :
Theyve mentioned meet and greets in the fan club and if they intend to do this then they wont be meeting fans at shows anyway as it would take the shine off those that got a meet and greet.
Have also personally seen bands meet people out at the bus after charging fans inside for a meet and greet.
same. had Tim Armstrong call me over to meet him then met him again where he dropped some gear on the bus and came straight back over for a chat and hang out with me and mates. Now thats a fan's man haha
Back to top Go down
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:26 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:
Then again hes in the wrong game and naive if he thinks you can play in a "BIG BAND" and not have these issues with some fans or a loss of privacy. But a decent fan is always respectful of this and doesnt try to interupt their lives. and its decent fans who watch these video interviews when they pop up.

Yeah, crazy fans are one of those things that come with the job. I have a buddy who is one of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet. He is also a police officer. Two weeks ago he shot and killed a man because they drew a gun on his partner. Killing a person, no matter who they are, is a hard thing to deal with and fucks up your mind completely. He hasn't been the same guy really but he still says it is part of a job and he knew it could happen. I am just saying, you have to know fan's are going to become a huge thing once you get to a certain level of fame. Quit bitching about it.....killing a person and wiping their soul from existence is a lot harder to do than turning down someones request for a pizza and coke. Many of my friends are paramedics, firefighters, police officers, military personal, nurses, and doctors and they never bitch about their job. No offense to the big rockers out there but these jobs I just listed are a MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than being in a rock and roll band. I think I just hate when people bitch about things.........
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:28 pm

saltandburn1967 wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

Yeah, crazy fans are one of those things that come with the job. I have a buddy who is one of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet. He is also a police officer. Two weeks ago he shot and killed a man because they drew a gun on his partner. Killing a person, no matter who they are, is a hard thing to deal with and fucks up your mind completely. He hasn't been the same guy really but he still says it is part of a job and he knew it could happen. I am just saying, you have to know fan's are going to become a huge thing once you get to a certain level of fame. Quit bitching about it.....killing a person and wiping their soul from existence is a lot harder to do than turning down someones request for a pizza and coke. Many of my friends are paramedics, firefighters, police officers, military personal, nurses, and doctors and they never bitch about their job. No offense to the big rockers out there but these jobs I just listed are a MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than being in a rock and roll band. I think I just hate when people bitch about things.........
I think you make a few good points there.

Besides, I remember reading an interview (last year or the year before) where he said he doesn't want to be Billie Joe Armstrong famous, yet he keeps saying he wants to fill arenas. It doesn't work that way.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Believe everything you read. Please. It's the only way to form proper opinions on anyone. Especially an interview that claims to have taken place at Lollapalooza but states they opened up with "Mae." Clearly no editing going on there at all.
Back to top Go down
brianisbae
A Contender
A Contender
brianisbae

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm

He also said how when he was a kid he met someone from Skid Row or something and how they were super friendly and how he always wants to be good to fans because he doesn't want them to remember their one time meeting him being lame because of stupid reasons. I wish more people were like Frank Turner. We are all the same. Not "fans", y'know? Just people, who dig what other people do. Doesn't make us inferior.
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:49 pm

@NeverTrustAJunkie

But it's not just a one off. He's stated this in at least 3 interviews I have read. I don't know why you and others feel obliged to defend Brian at all costs. What was said that irked some fans has been very clearly discussed in this thread and no one can tell me how I should feel about it.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 3:54 pm

No one can tell me how to feel either. You don't understand us defending him and I don't understand why you insist on spinning him as a jerk.

What a fun thread!
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:00 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
No one can tell me how to feel either. You don't understand us defending him and I don't understand why you insist on spinning him as a jerk.

What a fun thread!

It really is, isn't it? I'm sure this is what Brian was talking about when he said, "Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people." Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:01 pm

I don't see how anyone in this thread hasn't been nice, Shannon.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:01 pm

I'd also like everyone to direct their attention to the top of this web page.

Quote :
Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

Yeh. Sounds like Brian really doesn't like his fans. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm

enola wrote:
IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
but we don't know Brian as a person, so maybe we shouldn't judge him either. Just my opinion.

I could not agree more

We aren't judging him as a person. We are judging him as the face of a rock'n'roll band. I don't think Brian Fallon is arrogant or an asshole or anything like that. I do think that he should choose his conversation topics directly regarding fans more wisely.

Don't keep telling your fans how they should view your place/status in the music scene. And stop using every interview as a platform to tell fans you have no interest in going to dinner with them or whatever hyperbolic situation you feel like using in that moment. These types of statements come across as arrogant and condescending to many people. That's just the reality (note: comes across as). I don't care what he's like as a person, it's just not good business.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 pm

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:

What a fun thread!

But I ain't telling you how to feel haha just expressing my own viewpoint.

This is a forum. Not Kansas.
Back to top Go down
jzancan
A Contender
A Contender
jzancan

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:19 pm

steph wrote:
I thought this was a good interview. I really don't understand why people think Brian is coming off so badly. Just because he doesn't want to hang out with fans in his downtime and be everybody's best friend doesn't mean he's being a jerk. Maybe he just likes his personal space and wants to keep his life off the stage as private as possible, which is probably getting more difficult all the time.

Clap Clap Clap

srsly, this thread is fucking ridiculous, and this attitude a lot of fans here have towards him is exactly what he's talking about. i don't even know what to say, it's just all so fucking ridiculous and petty.

Actually, most people on here are saying he's coming across as a jerk. Not that they want to be his friend (which is what he's pushing against). In fact, most people who do express an opinion in this regard are saying they DON'T want to know him personally either. It's exactly the opposite of what he's talking about.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/users/jzancan
Harbortown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Harbortown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:34 pm

jzancan wrote:
steph wrote:
I thought this was a good interview. I really don't understand why people think Brian is coming off so badly. Just because he doesn't want to hang out with fans in his downtime and be everybody's best friend doesn't mean he's being a jerk. Maybe he just likes his personal space and wants to keep his life off the stage as private as possible, which is probably getting more difficult all the time.

Clap Clap Clap

srsly, this thread is fucking ridiculous, and this attitude a lot of fans here have towards him is exactly what he's talking about. i don't even know what to say, it's just all so fucking ridiculous and petty.

Actually, most people on here are saying he's coming across as a jerk. Not that they want to be his friend (which is what he's pushing against). In fact, most people who do express an opinion in this regard are saying they DON'T want to know him personally either. It's exactly the opposite of what he's talking about.
This is what I've been trying to convey as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stone Q&A
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next