DimeStoreSaints.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum dedicated to The Gaslight Anthem - Brian Fallon says: ''For consistent and up to the minute stuff, Dimestore Saints is a great place to check out and hang with some really nice people.''

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rolling Stone Q&A

Go down 
+31
Daire
Jack
steph
saltandburn1967
Christophe
brianisbae
rumham
Steve70s
White Man In Hammersmith
Harbortown
Jerseyrain
NeverTrustAJunkie
MKULTRA
sandyangryjohnnyormary?
fatbench
StitchesOnTheRadio
TGAFAN25
ashleybb
IrishNameAndAnInjury
Bea
enola
acousticbandit
Klown
LuceroDiehard
SubconsciousRitual
Rizz
SirBrad
ral
bringiton_ty
Shrewsbury_Stars
gtalbott
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Here's what I believe this truly comes down to. Some of us are offended by these comments, some are not. And BOTH are just in their views. No one is saying you can't be offended. Hell, I don't like what I'm hearing from him either, BUT as someone said earlier, the man is 32 and a lot of this is new, it's weird, and he's still trying to FIGURE IT OUT. I'm not saying "poor Brian he's got it so hard". And I don't "drink the kool-aid". I'm just saying can we recognize that we have no concept of what it's like for him, or for Frank Turner, or what it was for Joe Strummer. And we don't know what it's like to be any of them with their different personality types or ways of handling pressure. It's like saying "if you can't handle the stress at your job then your an asshole". We have a right to be a little hurt. He's pushing us away. but we gotta recognize that he's just freakin out a bit.

Someone said something about "why can't he be more like Springsteen" with this. Granted I wasn't alive in Bruce's early days, but how often does Bruce actually chat with fans? He's huge and he gets to have that personal connection with the crowd every night and then go home without doing more than saying hi to a few people and a few high fives. Don't people realize THAT is what Brian means when he talks about being BIG while resisting the popularity at the same time. He in a sense screwed himself because he's a genuine guy who hung around after shows when it was only a few people and put himself out there almost too much and now that it's more people, he's trying to pull back. He's handling it poorly but what do you expect? He's not perfect and he could be handling it a whole lot worse.

All I'm saying is being upset is totally fair, but just try not to abandon him so quickly. If it was your brother you'd tell him he's handling something poorly but he'd still be your brother would he not?

I'll end with this quote. It's from 2 years ago but I can't imagine much has changed...

"I was the kid everyone ignored, and now it's the opposite. It's exciting but I don't know how to deal with it."
(Brian Fallon - ViceStyle.com, 16 November 2010)
Back to top Go down
White Man In Hammersmith
Wooderson
Wooderson
White Man In Hammersmith

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 pm

You make good points Shelby, but as you said this is not a debate. It's just a case of some people taking offence (and rightly so in my opinion) to certain comments made by Brain in recent interviews.

I'm certainly not abandoning the band. I just feel like the comments regarding us fans are bordering on resentment and it's worrying. That is all.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theknuckledowns
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 5:13 pm

White Man In Hammersmith wrote:
You make good points Shelby, but as you said this is not a debate. It's just a case of some people taking offence (and rightly so in my opinion) to certain comments made by Brain in recent interviews.

I'm certainly not abandoning the band. I just feel like the comments regarding us fans are bordering on resentment and it's worrying. That is all.

agree
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 5:20 pm

bringiton_ty wrote:

agree

I agree totally. I'm more directing that at people who are flat out calling him an asshole.

Edit: Just read the most recent article someone posted. I'm jumping ship. Enough is enough. They (I'm throwing Alex in too now) need to cut the crap.
Back to top Go down
IrishNameAndAnInjury
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
IrishNameAndAnInjury

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:07 pm

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

agree

I agree totally. I'm more directing that at people who are flat out calling him an asshole.

Edit: Just read the most recent article someone posted. I'm jumping ship. Enough is enough. They (I'm throwing Alex in too now) need to cut the crap.

Shelby, in that other article, it was the writer's statement/opinion about the girls in the front row, not Brian's. I read it twice to see what I was missing, but I really think it was just the journalist talking. Maybe check it out again?
Back to top Go down
enola
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
enola

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 pm

What I see is that people here go and interpret parts of an interview the way they want to read/hear it. Just remember there is always two sides to every story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/manu74
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 6:21 pm

IrishNameAndAnInjury wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:

agree

Shelby, in that other article, it was the writer's statement/opinion about the girls in the front row, not Brian's. I read it twice to see what I was missing, but I really think it was just the journalist talking. Maybe check it out again?

I'm over-reacting a bit because I'm fired up. I know that was the writer's opinions. I look at that separately and I still stand by what I said earlier on this thread. But seriously "creepy"? I just think it's getting a little ridiculous. I know they don't mean to be jerks but it's getting old.
Back to top Go down
azlisa
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
azlisa

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm

I am feeling the same way most of you are..these interviews are giving off a way different vibe as time goes on.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/azlisa
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 am

saltandburn1967 wrote:
bringiton_ty wrote:
Then again hes in the wrong game and naive if he thinks you can play in a "BIG BAND" and not have these issues with some fans or a loss of privacy. But a decent fan is always respectful of this and doesnt try to interupt their lives. and its decent fans who watch these video interviews when they pop up.

Yeah, crazy fans are one of those things that come with the job. I have a buddy who is one of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet. He is also a police officer. Two weeks ago he shot and killed a man because they drew a gun on his partner. Killing a person, no matter who they are, is a hard thing to deal with and fucks up your mind completely. He hasn't been the same guy really but he still says it is part of a job and he knew it could happen. I am just saying, you have to know fan's are going to become a huge thing once you get to a certain level of fame. Quit bitching about it.....killing a person and wiping their soul from existence is a lot harder to do than turning down someones request for a pizza and coke. Many of my friends are paramedics, firefighters, police officers, military personal, nurses, and doctors and they never bitch about their job. No offense to the big rockers out there but these jobs I just listed are a MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than being in a rock and roll band. I think I just hate when people bitch about things.........

i have plenty of family members who are fire captains, etc.

while i admire the shit out of them, that is not a fair/even comparison. to say that a musician shouldn't be frustated w/ their situations because there are people who are worse off is just BS.

so no human being on earth has a right to be upset about anything as long as there are people saving lives??

every human being is fallible. do you know what it's like to be considered "famous" to any degree? no, just like i don't know what it's like to be a first responder & save someone's life (or at least attempt to). the only difference being that i don't assume to know what it's like to be on the other side.

do you know what it is like to kill another human just cause you friend did? no.
Back to top Go down
NeverTrustAJunkie
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
NeverTrustAJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 am

It's creepy to him that he is in this position because of how it went wrong with others put in his situation. He didn't say his fans were creeps. WTF already.
Back to top Go down
steph
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
steph

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 am

NeverTrustAJunkie wrote:
It's creepy to him that he is in this position because of how it went wrong with others put in his situation. He didn't say his fans were creeps. WTF already.

i've attempted to say that a half dozen ways. ppl are think. either way, gracias, Lorraine.
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 am

People need to read this. There's a lot of it about Pearl Jam, but there's also a lot about stalkers and crazy folk that the band have to deal with.

http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/nme011798.shtml
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Klown78
saltandburn1967
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
saltandburn1967

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 am

The whole argument seemed to have died off and here we go again. Why not leave it just where it was at? Now y'all are arguing for the sake of arguing. I realized it was a stupid thing to argue about it so try to do the same.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Agree dude. We all have our opinions on interviews etc as its band were all incredibly passionate about. But were all entiled to that and we all love Brian really at the end of the day Smile haha
Back to top Go down
Zapuda
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Very confusing stuff. I've met Brian multiple times, always came off as very down to earth, and very happy to meet/talk to fans. One of the times I met him I got a picture with him, he insisted we take 3-5 pictures to make sure I got a good one. He told a story of how he was watching Oprah and this kid on there met Magic Johnson and he loved/worshiped Magic, he got a picture taken with Magic and the picture was blurry and bad and the kid was so upset about it, Brian went on to say how he never ever wants to upset a fan and always wanted to be there for them. That guy back in like 2009 and this guy in these interviews don't really seem like the same guy at all. It's just kind of odd, especially how he writes a song like Handwritten...but then doesn't want people to feel a connection to the songs and what not then seems to kind of resent it when they do?

I've never really seen a musician go on a crusade like this about not being your friend and blah blah who really expects him to be their friend? It just seems like he's fighting a pointless battle here...very Jessey Laceyish of him. If that's how the guy feels that how he feels but whatever. I've met a few bands and there have been some people that have been fucking WEIRDOS especially when I met Adam Lazarra from Taking Back Sunday girls straight up harassing him, never once heard him go on and on interviews about it like Brian has been lately. Let's hope he doesnt go full blown Lacey on us and play 6 shows a year and have an encore of We Did It When We Were Young 3 times in a row.
Back to top Go down
bringiton_ty
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
bringiton_ty

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Cool story! I think everyone understands he doesnt wanna be friends and will make time for people where he can which is all any of us can really hope for or expect out of anyone in a successful, relatively big band.. It was just the constant references to fans in recent interviews that a few of us have taken quite insulting.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Zapuda wrote:
Very confusing stuff. I've met Brian multiple times, always came off as very down to earth, and very happy to meet/talk to fans. One of the times I met him I got a picture with him, he insisted we take 3-5 pictures to make sure I got a good one. He told a story of how he was watching Oprah and this kid on there met Magic Johnson and he loved/worshiped Magic, he got a picture taken with Magic and the picture was blurry and bad and the kid was so upset about it, Brian went on to say how he never ever wants to upset a fan and always wanted to be there for them. That guy back in like 2009 and this guy in these interviews don't really seem like the same guy at all. It's just kind of odd, especially how he writes a song like Handwritten...but then doesn't want people to feel a connection to the songs and what not then seems to kind of resent it when they do?

I've never really seen a musician go on a crusade like this about not being your friend and blah blah who really expects him to be their friend? It just seems like he's fighting a pointless battle here...very Jessey Laceyish of him. If that's how the guy feels that how he feels but whatever. I've met a few bands and there have been some people that have been fucking WEIRDOS especially when I met Adam Lazarra from Taking Back Sunday girls straight up harassing him, never once heard him go on and on interviews about it like Brian has been lately. Let's hope he doesnt go full blown Lacey on us and play 6 shows a year and have an encore of We Did It When We Were Young 3 times in a row.

Now I don't feel so guilty for asking him for another one photo after mine turned out blurry haha. Cool story too by the way.

I don't think he means he doesn't want us to relate to the songs, I think he's just trying to establish the correct barrier and he's all over the place right now when it comes to what that is so he's saying things over and over that come off wrong. I think we have to not take him literally. Hopefully this was just a short string of interviews in a condensed period of time and that the future ones won't bring it up or he'll word it better. I'm scared to think of how nuts this forum is going to go again if we find ANOTHER article like this. affraid
Back to top Go down
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:05 pm

It's ok, I've saved the Bane/Elmo picture for future use.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Klown wrote:
It's ok, I've saved the Bane/Elmo picture for future use.

High Five smart thinking.
Back to top Go down
Jack
The '59 Sound
The '59 Sound
Jack

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Zapuda wrote:

Now I don't feel so guilty for asking him for another one photo after mine turned out blurry haha. Cool story too by the way.

I don't think he means he doesn't want us to relate to the songs, I think he's just trying to establish the correct barrier and he's all over the place right now when it comes to what that is so he's saying things over and over that come off wrong. I think we have to not take him literally. Hopefully this was just a short string of interviews in a condensed period of time and that the future ones won't bring it up or he'll word it better. I'm scared to think of how nuts this forum is going to go again if we find ANOTHER article like this. affraid

Hey Shelby, you were at the 45 video shoot, right? With all the talk about the guy from Brand New it got me thinking...didn't Brian make some sort of reference about that guy "getting it right"? Or something...I have no idea what it was now, but I remember Brian talking about that specific guy from that specific band in a positive light.
Back to top Go down
http://roseboulevard.bandcamp.com
Klown
The Navesink Banks
The Navesink Banks
Klown

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Not wanting to retread old posts..but check out the Vedder interview I posted...the same things are almost said...
Back to top Go down
Zapuda
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:26 pm

I just think Brian might REALLY want to rethink his desire for playing huge arena's and being this huge band. If he is having this big of a "struggle" accepting the admiration and attention at this...mid-level, if you will stage the band is at how is he going to handle the fame and addition to the fan base being that kind of band brings? He isn't comfortable with people wanting to have a beer with him after the show, the very thing I've watched Benny do, literally just sitting at a bar drinking with fans. Then what is his mindset going to be if they blow up and he has 13 year old fan girls? When you have 13 year olds like ERMAGERD I WANNA MARRY B FAAAAAAALLL and changing their last name on facebook to Fallon suddenly someone saying "hey man, we should get a drink" which you can easily say "no thanks" to, isn't going to seem so bad.

If he himself didn't bring this up SO much lately after not saying stuff like this for the last 4 years this wouldn't be an issue. I just think it comes with the territory, I understand wanting your privacy and all of that but when you go from being one of the most approachable guys in music to whining about people approaching you it's kind of head scratching. We get it you're a normal guy EXACTLY that's why we like you so much you are a normal guy that loves what he does. No one ever said you weren't a normal guy, I'm a normal guy too, I don't go screaming it in peoples faces. DONT TALK TO ME, NO I WONT BE YOUR FRIEND IM JUST A NORMAL GUY. What sense would that make?

I guess it comes down to if you don't want the attention dont choose the lifestyle/career. Shitty but it is what it is. I don't see anyone else in the band bitching about it any and every time they get a chance.
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
First Among Equals
First Among Equals
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Zapuda wrote:
I just think Brian might REALLY want to rethink his desire for playing huge arena's and being this huge band. If he is having this big of a "struggle" accepting the admiration and attention at this...mid-level, if you will stage the band is at how is he going to handle the fame and addition to the fan base being that kind of band brings? He isn't comfortable with people wanting to have a beer with him after the show, the very thing I've watched Benny do, literally just sitting at a bar drinking with fans. Then what is his mindset going to be if they blow up and he has 13 year old fan girls? When you have 13 year olds like ERMAGERD I WANNA MARRY B FAAAAAAALLL and changing their last name on facebook to Fallon suddenly someone saying "hey man, we should get a drink" which you can easily say "no thanks" to, isn't going to seem so bad.

If he himself didn't bring this up SO much lately after not saying stuff like this for the last 4 years this wouldn't be an issue. I just think it comes with the territory, I understand wanting your privacy and all of that but when you go from being one of the most approachable guys in music to whining about people approaching you it's kind of head scratching. We get it you're a normal guy EXACTLY that's why we like you so much you are a normal guy that loves what he does. No one ever said you weren't a normal guy, I'm a normal guy too, I don't go screaming it in peoples faces. DONT TALK TO ME, NO I WONT BE YOUR FRIEND IM JUST A NORMAL GUY. What sense would that make?

I guess it comes down to if you don't want the attention dont choose the lifestyle/career. Shitty but it is what it is. I don't see anyone else in the band bitching about it any and every time they get a chance.

Just so you know, the writer of the other article that this issue comes up in got in touch with us and shared this quote from the guys (sounds like Brian to me)...

"In the beginning of this record, in March time, we were doing a lot of interviews, and people were like: So you guys are on a major label. You guys wanna play arenas? And I was like hell yeah! Arenas! And now I’m like, please God don’t let us get to arenas. I just wanna keep playing normal sized venues. Because I don’t know what to do. It would be crazy. We’d be hidden, we’d have security guards."

Also, I don't care how big they get, I can't picture a bunch of 13 year old girls freaking out over him like he's Bieber. This has been discussed at nauseam but it's worth at least going to the other thread and reading what the writer posted because it offers some insight into the context of quotes like this.
Back to top Go down
SubconsciousRitual
I'da called you Woody
I'da called you Woody
SubconsciousRitual

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 8:20 pm

"In the beginning of this record, in March time, we were doing a lot of interviews, and people were like: So you guys are on a major label. You guys wanna play arenas? And I was like hell yeah! Arenas! And now I’m like, please God don’t let us get to arenas. I just wanna keep playing normal sized venues. Because I don’t know what to do. It would be crazy. We’d be hidden, we’d have security guards."
That totally makes sense. It's easy to want something before you have it, or have a clue what it would be like.

Okay, I can't believe I'm still reading/posting in this thread... We need some Elmo hugs over here.
Back to top Go down
Zapuda
Red In The Morning
Red In The Morning

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Zapuda wrote:

Just so you know, the writer of the other article that this issue comes up in got in touch with us and shared this quote from the guys (sounds like Brian to me)...

Also, I don't care how big they get, I can't picture a bunch of 13 year old girls freaking out over him like he's Bieber. This has been discussed at nauseam but it's worth at least going to the other thread and reading what the writer posted because it offers some insight into the context of quotes like this.

That's a relief to hear, arena shows are terrible. The ticket prices, the parking, all of it, the only band I pay to see in arenas is Foo FIghters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Stone Q&A   Rolling Stone Q&A - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rolling Stone Q&A
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next